5.0L V8 Cylinder Deactivation

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I know a lot of you all are bummed about the 2021 F-150 V8 using cylinder deactivation. The system Chevrolet uses on the Silverado is quoted as having up to a “twelve percent increase” in fuel economy. Depending on many variables, that could get you another two miles per gallon on top on the Ford V8’s approximate 17.

While researching this, I came across this device:

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/parts/RA003B

Apparently it plugs into the trucks OBD II port and works around the cylinder deactivation technology to keep it in V8 mode at all times.

This device is similar to ones I’ve seen that work around that annoying auto start-stop feature. I will probably buy one myself to disable the start-stop of it’s annoying enough.
5.0 2018+ is 18/23

so 12% shoot if I’m getting 26 on the freeway I’m a happy camper. I am not concerned with city mpg.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Went to different test drive events today. My intention was to take the v8 KR out for a ride. Yep, I did like it better than the souped up V6 EB in the STX.

At any rate, the i was chatting with about the KR and cylinder deactivation thought maybe those cylinders will only drop while the trans is in ECO mode.

He is not positive that the touring vehicles have it, but the KR does not drop out while driving

Hoped to see the Baja tan interior, but no, standard grey in the XLT and STX and the regular KR and Limited interiors

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
The average combined mileage I’m getting in my Coyote equipped 2016 F150 with a 3.55 gear is 22.5 MPG.

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 16' Honda Pilot
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
Hey all,
Just registered! I have been following this thread and I have a Lariat super crew on order. Of course I went with the 5.0 and I was concerned at first. I'm going to stand behind ford, I'm sure they will get the tech right!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Hey all,
Just registered! I have been following this thread and I have a Lariat super crew on order. Of course I went with the 5.0 and I was concerned at first. I'm going to stand behind ford, I'm sure they will get the tech right!

Welcome to our humble F-150 abode! I also have a Lariat SuperCrew on order!

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mazda 3
Occupation
Nurse
Yeah... this was a factor in my decision to grab a 2020 instead. I know the technology isn’t “new.” But it’s still problematic for some
makes and I definitely didn’t want to buy a first-model version of that 5.0
Sponsored