Sponsored

Body repairs?

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I'm not a body repair expert and wanted to get opinions on fixing damage to my front bumper.
Should I pull this dent before filling and sanding or just fill it?

I have no idea what it was but if fell off a Ram 1500's bumper on the highway about 75' ahead of me going about 70mph. It was about 1'x1' square shaped, maybe 3" thick and looked to be made of a solid white synthetic (plastic?) material. When it hit the road surface it spun up and catapulted straight towards me with extreme velocity. Luckily it was already dropping down by the time it struck my bumper just inboard of the fog light. Otherwise, I guarantee it would have come through the windshield. The impact was very solid so I knew it has some mass. The traffic was thick and I couldn't see where it went. I also couldn't follow the Ram since I was also in the process of changing lanes for an exit.
It appears a corner of the square impacted the bumper then pieces of it made minor strikes around the main impact point. The dent is about 1/2" deep with only a slight bit of deformation surrounding it.
I think I can fill and feather well enough to make it disappear. Is the dent too deep for that?

Ford F-150 Body repairs? bumper1 (2)_LI
Sponsored

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Based on many data points of my wife hitting things with her bumper, I'd say $1,000-1,500 to repair, and more to replace.

OP
OP
spiritrider1

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Insurance?
No way. Without anyone to take responsibility, I'd have to file a claim on my own policy. That will leave a strike against me. Rates are ridiculous enough as it is, let alone adding a claim. I'll reserve that for (heaven forbid) serious damage.
I've had 2 previous claims against others who've hit me in the past 3 years. Each time I've gotten screwed by the other's insurance company. Used parts, crappy work, etc.
The insurance industry is raking it in on the backs of the consumer. And they ALL are in it together.

OP
OP
spiritrider1

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Based on many data points of my wife hitting things with her bumper, I'd say $1,000-1,500 to repair, and more to replace.
Quite possibly. I had a back passenger door scrape on my 2018 F-150 STX Magma red that didn't even have a dent. Just a wide 2" scrape in the middle of the door from (??). $400 cash at a local body shop to re-spray the door. If I can get them to respray my bumper for around that after I fix it I'm good with that.
Sponsored