Sponsored

Advice needed on ordered vehicle damaged at factory lot.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
The sales manager at the dealership in NY where I ordered called to inform me that my F-150 was damaged at the factory lot, presumably when being loaded onto a carrier. He said Ford plans to send it to a dealer in Michigan for repair, and then ship it for delivery. From the images below, it appears to just be the rear passenger door and bed. I asked if this would show in the vehicle history as an accident, and he does not believe it would.

Obviously I will inspect the vehicle when it arrives, but what else do I need to consider? If I order a new truck, I'm looking at a 23 and who knows when that will be produced. I placed this order 1/31/22. Or maybe it's not a big deal and I never would have known. Part of me doesn't feel right about buying a new vehicle that's been repaired, but maybe it's not a big deal. The sales manager told me that Ford would not price protect a new order, by my dealership would. Thanks for any advice!

Ford F-150 Advice needed on ordered vehicle damaged at factory lot. PIC 1
Ford F-150 Advice needed on ordered vehicle damaged at factory lot. PIC 2
Sponsored

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
I'm not sure how long of a delay for something happening to a vehicle and then showing up on a history report. Two things I would do if it happened to me. 1- would be have the dealership run a report when you pick it up to see if there has been one. 2- I would get the dealership to have something on paper saying it won't show up on a report to cover yourself if there is a delay in it getting onto the report. Sorry to hear this, my truck is about to be delivered and I dread something like this happening.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
You said it in your second paragraph. You wouldn't have known.

With the way prices have went up, I'm skeptical the dealer would guarantee a price point. But I'm just one of those guys that doesn't believe a word a dealer tells me. If it was me I would think the dealer is saying they would guarantee price just to make themselves look good. Like a lawyer tells you how bad something is going to be but then you get the I got a good deal for you speech.

I would go with McButter on this one. See if they will put it in writing and when you trade it in take it to the same place.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
looks like somebody got overzealous on the car train
my 92 f250 had a chain dropped on the hood in transit. ford had my dealer replace, hood, repaint roof, buf the truck and make it whole . it happens alot .

i would agree if ford fixes it at the plant or at a local body shop its not a track-able event as it was shipping damage vice a wreck
surprised the dealer didnt get a local approved body shop to fix it

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Discloure requirements depend on state law, in MD, if the damage is more the 3% of MSRP, the dealer must provide a written disclosure.

With metallic paint any paint work should be blended into the other sections. This will not be a small repair. The repaint would show up on a paint thickness meter.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
The sales manager at the dealership in NY where I ordered called to inform me that my F-150 was damaged at the factory lot, presumably when being loaded onto a carrier. He said Ford plans to send it to a dealer in Michigan for repair, and then ship it for delivery. From the images below, it appears to just be the rear passenger door and bed. I asked if this would show in the vehicle history as an accident, and he does not believe it would.

Obviously I will inspect the vehicle when it arrives, but what else do I need to consider? If I order a new truck, I'm looking at a 23 and who knows when that will be produced. I placed this order 1/31/22. Or maybe it's not a big deal and I never would have known. Part of me doesn't feel right about buying a new vehicle that's been repaired, but maybe it's not a big deal. The sales manager told me that Ford would not price protect a new order, by my dealership would. Thanks for any advice!

PIC 1.jpg
PIC 2.jpg
It sucks to see it and to know it was damaged but after the repair you won't see nothing it will be like brand new. Like other said it happened to others before and probably way more often than we can imagine. At least your dealer was honest enough to share the information with you instead of hiding it from you. If you like your built then you will be driving it shortly :)

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I remember when I worked at a Buick / GMC dealer as a kid in the late 80s. A factory fresh Riviera came in on the front upper rack of a transport with the entire front left corner of the roof & windscreen all bashed in, apparently the driver went under a low tree. Off it went to the body shop for a new "A" pillar, roof skin and windshield. They sold it as new..

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
The price of the truck should be discounted even if it's fixed correctly. You are paying for a
'new' truck, not a 'repaired' truck.

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Iconic Silver
Occupation
Physical Security Supervisor
The price of the truck should be discounted even if it's fixed correctly. You are paying for a
'new' truck, not a 'repaired' truck.
I agree with this. However, it may be a take it or leave it situation. You could take it and then order a 2023 and probably be able to trade it in for what you paid for it. This way you can add or take away anything you realize you want or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Thanks for the feedback and comments. I probably will just evaluate it when it arrives, and decide at that point. Or if I find something close enough on the lot I'll go with that. Doubtful though.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the feedback and comments. I probably will just evaluate it when it arrives, and decide at that point. Or if I find something close enough on the lot I'll go with that. Doubtful though.
And you are right at the end it is your decision. When your truck arrive look at it in all the angles with proper light then if you don't see a difference why would you not take the truck that you've been waiting for so long. It will be a brand new truck, bodyshop make miracle. If you settle down for a truck that is close enough you may regret it as it is not your built (missing a little something, not your first choice for color....).
Sponsored