Sponsored

2021 F-150 Passenger-side Leak

MRNF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
Well, I have read all the previous posts on leaks in the 150s and hoped to never be in the same boat. But here I am. We did not even notice anything was wet until I thought it smelled musty in the truck. The water was only on the passenger-side floor board, and down that side of the interior where the carpet drops off in the door frame. Nothing on the floorboard in the rear. There was a good bit of water. Wet/dry vac'ed as much as I could. Running a fan and have "damp rid bags" hanging in the truck. Those efforts almost have us dried out. I first took it to a small shop where we take our other vehicles. They did not see anything wrong with the windshield, no clogged drains they could find, no moisture on the firewall they could find, cab air filter was dry, no water in the doors, etc, etc. Their next suggested step was to dry everything out and put something down that would show water as soon as it happened again - to maybe have an idea where it was coming in.

In the meantime I have been calling Ford dealerships in my area. Two want me to bring in the vehicle and hope to get to it in a month. The other three were even longer. I did grab a spot and just plan on being without a vehicle for a while. BUT, all five dealerships consistently acknowledged it is a known issue with Ford trucks and also stated Ford won't cover any of it as I am out past my 36K miles. I know it could vary greatly, but does anyone have some numbers if they have had to shell out for this kind of diagnostic/repair. Just doing the basic math for labor if they look at it for a week, which two places said was common, and I am not even sure I wanna keep the vehicle.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Well, I have read all the previous posts on leaks in the 150s and hoped to never be in the same boat. But here I am. We did not even notice anything was wet until I thought it smelled musty in the truck. The water was only on the passenger-side floor board, and down that side of the interior where the carpet drops off in the door frame. Nothing on the floorboard in the rear. There was a good bit of water. Wet/dry vac'ed as much as I could. Running a fan and have "damp rid bags" hanging in the truck. Those efforts almost have us dried out. I first took it to a small shop where we take our other vehicles. They did not see anything wrong with the windshield, no clogged drains they could find, no moisture on the firewall they could find, cab air filter was dry, no water in the doors, etc, etc. Their next suggested step was to dry everything out and put something down that would show water as soon as it happened again - to maybe have an idea where it was coming in.

In the meantime I have been calling Ford dealerships in my area. Two want me to bring in the vehicle and hope to get to it in a month. The other three were even longer. I did grab a spot and just plan on being without a vehicle for a while. BUT, all five dealerships consistently acknowledged it is a known issue with Ford trucks and also stated Ford won't cover any of it as I am out past my 36K miles. I know it could vary greatly, but does anyone have some numbers if they have had to shell out for this kind of diagnostic/repair. Just doing the basic math for labor if they look at it for a week, which two places said was common, and I am not even sure I wanna keep the vehicle.
Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this leak concern? Thank you!

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I had a grommet under the passenger seat that is also part of a wire harness routing. It was tie strapped to wire harness but never pushed into floor under the seat and left a wide open hole to underside of cab. I found it early so no harm but there was already a little silt around hole where tiny amount of water had got in. Worth checking under your passenger seat. I found it looking under seat from the front of the seat. There was a flap of rug there you might need to bend up to see in.

OP
OP

MRNF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a grommet under the passenger seat that is also part of a wire harness routing. It was tie strapped to wire harness but never pushed into floor under the seat and left a wide open hole to underside of cab. I found it early so no harm but there was already a little silt around hole where tiny amount of water had got in. Worth checking under your passenger seat. I found it looking under seat from the front of the seat. There was a flap of rug there you might need to bend up to see in.

Thanks, will do. Was at Ford today and the tech is super confident he found the issue. On the passenger side under the cowling, there are some additional small drains. I had no idea there were there, and if someone already pointed them out in a post, then I just did not understand where they were. They were clogged. No debris in the cowling, but this was deeper down in the cowling than you can even see - if that makes sense. Once he scraped out some dirt, water poured out. I will get a pict and post. He suggested more water to make sure all the crap is out.

I am also removing seats, pulling carpet, fans, and an 0zone generator for good measure.

garagegymgoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Star White Lariat 502A w/ BAP
I might have missed it in your post...but do you have a moonroof? If so...my 2016 moonroof had a crack in the track of it (I think thats what they said) and they had to replace the whole thing...If I recall corectly it ran me about $1,500 no warranty. It did completely fix the issue.

I had the same thing happening...passenger floor board was getting wet. Was running from the moonroof, down the headliner, down the a-pillar grab handle trim and then dripping onto the floor. Would be worse if I was parked on a decline as the water would flow forward.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MRNF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might have missed it in your post...but do you have a moonroof? If so...my 2016 moonroof had a crack in the track of it (I think thats what they said) and they had to replace the whole thing...If I recall corectly it ran me about $1,500 no warranty. It did completely fix the issue.

I had the same thing happening...passenger floor board was getting wet. Was running from the moonroof, down the headliner, down the a-pillar grab handle trim and then dripping onto the floor. Would be worse if I was parked on a decline as the water would flow forward.
No moonroof. I had one in two previous vehicles and never again. LOL