Sponsored

You be the judge: Window Tint Dirt or Window Defect?

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Hello everyone,

I got my truck tinted a day ago. It’s cold where I am so curing could take up to 30 days or so, don’t roll windows down until a couple days etc.

There is one spot on the drivers side window. When you’re looking outside sitting in the drivers seat, it’s right in your line of sight. So of course it sticks out worse then if it was lower etc. I sent pictures to the tinter and they said it looked like nothing from the photos and to bring it by. I brought it by and was told it’s not dirt, (dirt shows up “white” under tint, which I have seen before) and that it looks to be a defect in the glass itself. He took his little squeegee and the spot didn’t move at all. However it was also pretty cured in that spot so of course it wouldn’t move.

Let me know if it seems like I’m overreacting. It could totally well be my OCD… I feel like pictures don’t do it enough justice.

Ford F-150 You be the judge: Window Tint Dirt or Window Defect? 5825FA63-0E12-4880-99E9-72DFC3AAC483

Ford F-150 You be the judge: Window Tint Dirt or Window Defect? 586024F5-656F-4082-8FD9-1BEA00CFE4AB
Sponsored

Texas2022XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
If you rub your finger over it do you feel anything sticking up? If so then I'd say if from the tint job. I did have a new Explorer that had a huge scratch in the glass that you really didn't notice till they tinted the windows. Took it to the dealer and they put a new glass in, this was on the passenger side. Apparently its common to find glass issues after tinting the windows my tint shop told me.

OP
OP
Braeden

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you rub your finger over it do you feel anything sticking up? If so then I'd say if from the tint job. I did have a new Explorer that had a huge scratch in the glass that you really didn't notice till they tinted the windows. Took it to the dealer and they put a new glass in, this was on the passenger side. Apparently its common to find glass issues after tinting the windows my tint shop told me.
So I just went out and checked. Completely flat, nothing sticking up. I lightly even ran my nail across it and felt nothing

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i say your window has been welding with no protective lenses
if it bothers you...as it would me a bit
take to dealer and have them take a gander,
of course they will need to remove the tint to verify its not a tint film defect :sick:

OP
OP
Braeden

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i say your window has been welding with no protective lenses
if it bothers you...as it would me a bit
take to dealer and have them take a gander,
of course they will need to remove the tint to verify its not a tint film defect :sick:
Do you know the kind of process the dealer would take to see if it’s a defect? I say this because before the tinting I didn’t notice. Of course it could have definitely been there and light just hit it differently where you’d never tell.

Sponsored

Texas2022XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
For me I had to have the tint removed...I showed the dealer and then had the tint removed and went back...kind of a pain but it got the glass replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
Braeden

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me I had to have the tint removed...I showed the dealer and then had the tint removed and went back...kind of a pain but it got the glass replaced under warranty.
Now there is a decision to be made…

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
if u take the truck back to the dealership as is, they may give you a hard time and blame the tint shop for the said damages. if ur tint shop was good people, they would remove it in good faith to have it throughly inspected.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Do you know the kind of process the dealer would take to see if it’s a defect? I say this because before the tinting I didn’t notice. Of course it could have definitely been there and light just hit it differently where you’d never tell.
most likely they will cut out or remove the tint to verify its a tint or a glass issue
warranty and all will require a good test
i would speak to the service advisor at length prior to letting them remove it
to me it looks like a defect in the tint, but.....the tint may have enhanced the glass defect ?

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Hello everyone,

I got my truck tinted a day ago. It’s cold where I am so curing could take up to 30 days or so, don’t roll windows down until a couple days etc.

There is one spot on the drivers side window. When you’re looking outside sitting in the drivers seat, it’s right in your line of sight. So of course it sticks out worse then if it was lower etc. I sent pictures to the tinter and they said it looked like nothing from the photos and to bring it by. I brought it by and was told it’s not dirt, (dirt shows up “white” under tint, which I have seen before) and that it looks to be a defect in the glass itself. He took his little squeegee and the spot didn’t move at all. However it was also pretty cured in that spot so of course it wouldn’t move.

Let me know if it seems like I’m overreacting. It could totally well be my OCD… I feel like pictures don’t do it enough justice.

5825FA63-0E12-4880-99E9-72DFC3AAC483.jpeg

586024F5-656F-4082-8FD9-1BEA00CFE4AB.jpeg
Would drive me nuts.
It would need to go, whatever it is..

Sponsored

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
I would personally have the tint on that window removed. Seems like it would be the 1st step regardless.
Agree. Bummer, but it’s really the only option unless you can live with that spot.
Sponsored