Sponsored

Truck predicament. Thoughts?

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Ok, I’m going to try and make this short, and easy to follow. I’d like to hear some thoughts from you guys.

Truck 1
4/16-Placed order for 21 truck.
6/16-Still hadn’t received a VIN so order was escalated to a Priority 1. They said the lay flat seats were holding up order.
7/2-Dealer calls and says order will not be picked up as a 21 due to paint shortage of SQ. Annoyed, but whatever. States I’ll be first in line for a 22.

Truck 2
I wasn’t sure I believed original dealer and that they hadn’t just screwed it up, so I place another order with a different dealer.
7/19-Placed order for identical 21 truck.
8/19-Order confirmed with VIN and build week of 10/18.
10/19-Truck built.
10/20-Truck shipped.
11/6-11/12 for truck delivery. It’s so close I can taste it!

Dealer from Truck 1 calls in September and was blown away that the original truck order (Truck 1) was actually picked up by Ford with a build date of 11/8. Cool, but I’ve already got truck 2 with an earlier delivery date. At this point, and as much as I’ve read here about build dates being pushed back, I go ahead and have original dealer of Truck 1 place another order for a 2022 in the event the 11/8 build date never comes. What could it hurt, right?

Truck 3-2022 truck
9/30-Placed order for 2022
11/1-Order confirmed with a build week of 12/6.

Get a text from Dealer 1/Truck 1 today asking which truck I want. Apparently the 2022 order has already been picked up with a build date of 12/6. Shit, for real?!?

So here in lies my predicament. I’m less than two weeks away from truck 2, but I’m torn on whether to just wait for Truck 3.

For some context here, this is a company vehicle, so I’m not paying for it. But still want the best deal. I have not discussed any pricing for any of the trucks, deals/rebates to be had, or trade in allowance. Not a big fan of taking ownership of 21 truck in the END of 21, but I tend to keep my trucks for 5 years anyways so I’m not sure if really bugs me that bad.

My emotions are saying screw it, just get truck 2. But the other part is saying it’s smarter to wait for the 2022.

I’d like to hear ya’lls thoughts or suggestions. Sorry for the long read.
Sponsored

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
FWIW, I ordered my truck on May 13th. Knowing that KC was closed for the month of May. Not knowing that they would be closed for 2 weeks in July and again for 4 weeks in August pushing my order out. With that said, what is to say that some circumstances with the supply chain in the future might play havoc with your 22 build?

BTW, my truck finally came in Saturday afternoon, signing and picking it up tomorrow!

OP
OP
RedTXV

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
FWIW, I ordered my truck on May 13th. Knowing that KC was closed for the month of May. Not knowing that they would be closed for 2 weeks in July and again for 4 weeks in August pushing my order out. With that said, what is to say that some circumstances with the supply chain in the future might play havoc with your 22 build?

BTW, my truck finally came in Saturday afternoon, signing and picking it up tomorrow!
That has DEFINITELY been a thought this evening. And congratulations!

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
If all the builds are identical I'd stick with truck 2. Once you get past 5 years I find mileage is more of a determining factor in value that specific years. So a '21 that starts driving in November will effectively have a year less of mileage than other '21s on the market.

Sponsored

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Network admin
If you don’t need a truck right now than I say 22 hands down. If your going for the best deal the 21 truck might be cheaper with the current rebates. Either way it’s the same truck so in the end it’s the same.

Bandito

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited PowerBoost
The one thing that you might want to keep in mind is cost reductions. The first model year of a vehicle comes with pretty much everything that the designers and engineers had in mind and is all pretty much new content. In the following years, they are tasked with cost reductions to increase margins, which leads to manufacturing changes and parts changes. Not all of these are bad, but sometimes they eliminate items too. I remember that on one generation of F-150s, the first year they had insulation under the hood, which was completely eliminated during the next year’s build. So I would add this to consider in your deliberations.

We already know that some manufacturing changes occurred earlier this summer during their mid-year refresh. One thing that was changed were the headlights. I don’t think we know specifically what was changed, but IIHS said that the trucks built after the refresh date got their high marks in part due to a headlight change, in this case for the better.

If I were you, I’d go for truck no. 2 as it has what you want and you can get into it now and enjoy it instead of waiting and wondering what may happen next that could cause additional delays.

I also wondered about buying a 2021 when we’re really already into the traditional 2022 model-year, but after I saw and drove the truck, I found it really made no difference to me.

OP
OP
RedTXV

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Good information, thank you!

Looks like you’re driving what I ordered as well, minus the Powerboost. Hope you’re enjoying it.