Transmission Fluid / Filter Change.. How Much? $$$

F150patriot

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Soon i am going to be having my transmission fluid/filter serviced at a mechanic shop NOT a stealership.
What are some REASONABLE quotes i should be hearing to have it done?
I figured i ask you fellas first because i do not want to go out and get shafted like a stupid b*tch lol.
2 hrs labor at 150, 6qts fluid @ $12, 30 for filter, 400 bux!
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Make sure they get the correct filter. The Powerboost and EcoBoost filters are not the same even thought the transmission appears otherwise the same in the filter area.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I would call 3 places and from that you will know the range of costs. Most important is the ATF that is being used by the three shops as you want something that meets Ford's standards for its transmissions and will not damage the seals.

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid is the only choice and not worth compromising your transmission by using anything else. As a once in 150,000 mile task the savings with a different fluid will be trivial in terms of the total cost of operation.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
It is stupid to change the ATF more often than specified by the manufacturer. Ford recommends changing the ATF every 150,000 miles for their light trucks.

Even with my heavy duty diesel pickup with the Allison 1000 transmission the change interval was every 150,000 or 48 months with TES 295 ATF. The change interval was half as much if I used the TES 389 ATF from the truck dealer. I had to go to an Allison shop to get the good stuff.

If you really want to be paranoid then you should routinely change of the air in the tires as it might get stale. What few people seem to understand is that components, including seals and lubricants, are vastly better now than when your daddy had his truck.

In the 1970s a truck with 250,000 miles on the original engine was rare. Now it is common for engines to last for more than 300,000 miles with only a water pump replacement.

Many problems result from changing out the ATF and in particular with the shops that do an ATF flush (which should only be done for brake lines) and that damage the internal seals of the transmission.
Manufacturing tolerances have absolutely improved. When I changed the rear diff fluid at 54k miles for the second time (first was at 25k when I had the cover with drain holes installed), there was a 3-dimensional pile of very fine debris on the magnetic drain plug. The same (very good) manufacturing tolerances went into building the 10R80. I thin that there is a solid practical and theoretical reason to change transmission, diff and transfer case fluid before the factory recommendation IF you intend to keep your truck past 100k miles or use it heavily. For a grocery getter OR a vehicle that will get replaced in a few years, more aggressive maintenance is a net loss.