First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
If people are worried about surface rust on the thickest piece of iron on the truck, what's gonna happen with the first rock chip in the hood or door ding?

I can see some trucks spending more time in body shop getting repainted then actually driven..
Sponsored

OP
OP

DSpyV

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw 5.0 STX
Occupation
Radiology
If people are worried about surface rust on the thickest piece of iron on the truck, what's gonna happen with the first rock chip in the hood or door ding?

I can see some trucks spending more time in body shop getting repainted then actually driven..
Nothing is going to happen to door or hood dings… they are aluminum, that doesn’t rust sir.

The point is these are parts that should be coated/painted like other parts underneath the car, it’s like certain parts were missed.

Also this would be a good educational read for you: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.repairsmith.com/i/blog/why-you-should-take-car-rust-seriously/

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Nothing is going to happen to door or hood dings… they are aluminum, that doesn’t rust sir.

The point is these are parts that should be coated/painted like other parts underneath the car, it’s like certain parts were missed.

Also this would be a good educational read for you: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.repairsmith.com/i/blog/why-you-should-take-car-rust-seriously/
Yes, I'm well aware the body panels are aluminum, it made big news when Ford announced it years ago, Many cars have had aluminum hoods, trunks and roofs for years, so it's not a new concept. As someone who has worked in a body shop and restored a few cars, I'm well versed in rust and how to prevent/address it. I've repaired more than my fair share of frame rot on old Mopars than I care to admit. That being said, the rust the pictures shows is minor, surface rust on probably the thickest pieces of metal on the truck. U-joint carrier is probably thicker than the frame, and the differential is one hefty piece that the engine, transmission and gears will give out long before that either rusts thru or becomes "structurally unsound". I'd be concerned about rust on the frame, not on a U-joint carrier or differential housing/tube

I applaud the dealers that said they weren't going to touch it. Just spraying over it with undercoating or a "rust inhibitor" paint will just delay the inevitable, to properly repair it will take time the dealer can spend on money making repairs. Not to mention the fact it may cause more problems. And if you think a dealer mech is going to spend 1hr of the 1 hr allocated to correctly fix it, you've got lot to learn about dealer mech's. They are going to spray some flat black paint on it, grab a smoke and call it a day. When the rust returns, either the owner will have forgotten about it or the dealer is going to say "sorry, nothing we can do"

For the record, my previous RAM truck had flaking rust on the frame due to it being scraped on a lift from what we could gather. Dealers response? "RAM won't warranty it because it's not rusted thru yet". So they just brushed it down, sprayed some rust inhibitor paint on it and that was that.

I can't wait to see the posts when rust starts appearing around muffler welds...
Sponsored