• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Right to Repair Movement

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Has anyone seen what Fords stance is on “Right to Repair” I know that Tesla , Apple and John Deere are fighting it. Just watched a short video today about Farmers banding together to try and get Deere to allow them to purchase cables and software to allow them to trouble shoot their very expensive tractors. The thought process is that you own it, you should be able to repair it. I am sure there are many people here that use an ODB II scanner to get the fault codes; will we be able to do that with the Lightning? :unsure:

https://www.repair.org/stand-up
Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I purchased a repair manual and wiring diagrams because I figure that I can troubleshoot just as well as joe dirt down at the dealer. I will still let them do the crappy stuff like oil changes, brakes etc. lol.

I’ve been buying the manual for my last 3 F150s and they are great, I was really into stereo so the wiring diagrams were a must for me. I probably also had the only 2014 Tremor with one-touch powerfold mirrors. With Forscan and the repair manual, I will prob have any issues figured out before I take it to the dealer and they can just order parts.

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
I purchased a repair manual and wiring diagrams because I figure that I can troubleshoot just as well as joe dirt down at the dealer. I will still let them do the crappy stuff like oil changes, brakes etc. lol.

I’ve been buying the manual for my last 3 F150s and they are great, I was really into stereo so the wiring diagrams were a must for me. I probably also had the only 2014 Tremor with one-touch powerfold mirrors. With Forscan and the repair manual, I will prob have any issues figured out before I take it to the dealer and they can just order parts.
Did you buy service literature from Helm publishers? Is the powerboost drivetrain covered in those?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Judging from Ford's actions over the last hundred years, I think that they fully support right to repair.

You can buy nearly every part in their catalog no questions asked. About the only exceptions have been limited run racing parts, like their flat plane V8.

After Lightning sales demands are met, I fully expect Ford to start selling EV powertrains the same way that they sell crate engines and driveline packages for hot rodders.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they started selling limited run, turn key skateboards with associated controls for something like the first gen. Mustang or early F-Series trucks.

If Ford or Chevy adopted the same draconian measures that Apple and Tesla have taken to apply control to their products after sale; they would instantaneously and irrevocably lose most of their most loyal customers.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you buy service literature from Helm publishers? Is the powerboost drivetrain covered in those?
I got mine from here https://www.factory-manuals.com/expand-2021-ford-f150-repair-manual-3263.html

They build the manual based on your VIN, so I noticed that my “engine” section is the reg 3.5 EB (see pictures below, the wiring diagram is for the PB) All of the DTCs and wiring diagrams reference all power trains though. I would imagine if you ordered with a PB VIN, it should have everything you need.

Ford F-150 Lightning Right to Repair Movement 1B11271A-4DB0-4F0A-A5D6-F83DFE19511B
Ford F-150 Lightning Right to Repair Movement 19D2D6DD-FF15-4F24-A083-566903E547BF

Sponsored

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
I got mine from here https://www.factory-manuals.com/expand-2021-ford-f150-repair-manual-3263.html

They build the manual based on your VIN, so I noticed that my “engine” section is the reg 3.5 EB (see pictures below, the wiring diagram is for the PB) All of the DTCs and wiring diagrams reference all power trains though. I would imagine if you ordered with a PB VIN, it should have everything you need.

1B11271A-4DB0-4F0A-A5D6-F83DFE19511B.png
19D2D6DD-FF15-4F24-A083-566903E547BF.png
Thanks, I'll definitely check into this. Just a single repair would cover the cost.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, I'll definitely check into this. Just a single repair would cover the cost.
Yea, it’s not the cheapest but to me it’s worth it. The front of the manual has every DTC and what they mean, which is nice. It helped me fix my front camera issue without having to take it to the dealer. It also gives you tons of specs and theory of operation on most of the systems. It’s over 18k pages, so of your bored one afternoon you can read about the transmission, lol.

Ford F-150 Lightning Right to Repair Movement 29986699-D97F-43BD-A172-DE78C74AE635

Deere243

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 302a 2.7l Space White Sport
Occupation
John Deere GPS guy
I work for my Local Deere Dealer. A Farmer can buy the cables and software at a reasonable price compared to anything else Deere prices stuff. Its the same exact software our techs use to fix the tractors. If a farmer wants to, they can. I would never work for a dealer or dealer of a manufacture where I see right to repair prevented.
Sponsored