NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Management Advisory Consulting
Finally brought my SQ PB King Ranch home today. Some info & first impressions:
- All the features from the power tailgate to B&O Unleashed to the giant synch 4 screen are seriously amazing
- I told my cousin who has a 2016 XLT this thing makes my Platinum seem like a dinosaur
- Truck had 27 miles on it at the dealership & a full tank of gas
- Trucks that take train rides get crazy dirty. They hadn't washed it yet & I remember thinking at first glance "that looks terrible, I hope it's not mine"
- After cleaning up smoked quartz & stone, the colors look great. I think these KR wheels are bad ass. The stone two tone is more subtle than expected & I like it a lot.
- The truck is insanely quiet inside & it's so airtight it's hard to shut the doors with the windows up
- The stock scorpion tires are a complete joke & waste of rubber in my opinion. Went straight to the tire shop & had Michelin Defenders installed. After going from my 2015 Platinum with 2.5" level & 10 ply Grabbers averaging 13-15mpg, I wanted to give this one a try in mostly stock configuration for a while to see what kind of mileage & ride it has.
- 2015 averaged 15mpg on the 40 mile drive to get the new one.
- 2021 averaged 20.9mpg on the drive home.
- No rust on the back of the diff. Front has some, but nothing crazy or concerning
- Drove around town for quite a while in traffic & am figured out how to maximize electric time. Basically in Eco mo under 45mph, any time you hit the brakes to slow down as if you're gonna come to a stop it seems to kill the gas motor which is cool. I was able to pedal it between 10 & 40 to keep it in electric as long as you don't have to take off. Seems like there'll be a bunch of Powerboost drivers around town sometime in the near future driving other cars around them insane haha...
- Thanks to the awesome people on this forum the dealership matched Flood's prices for the ESP and maintenance plan. He couldn't figure out how they could offer those prices, but he matched them without complaining.
- The factory spray in bedliner seems really nice & looks great.
- Surprised there's no 4 flat trailer plug, but they do include an adapter for the round to flat at least
Questions:
- At any speed, when accelerating somewhat hard, basically any time the turbo would spool up while driving, the truck seems to shudder. Anyone else notice that with theirs? Since I'm breaking it in I took it fairly easy, but going from 50-70 or so when the turbo kicked in it seemed like something in the trans or maybe motor would shudder.
- When decelerating from around 40 in full electric it feels like it actually downshifts a couple times, once pretty hard, but the shifter still indicates 10th gear.
- How long should I wait to give it a soapy wash & wax etc? Does the paint need to cure or anything? Seems like that crazy train ride would do way more than any sort of cleaning.
Sorry for the huge post, but I'm pretty excited about the truck & wanted to ask about those last couple things I noticed.

Ford F-150 Picked up KR PB today. First Impressions IMG_9506
Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Congrats man, truck looks awesome! Welcome to the SQ KR club!

I have the EcoBoost so can’t comment on any shudder, but mine was dirty like you described so I washed and waxed with no issue.

OP
OP
NorCalHunter

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Congrats man, truck looks awesome! Welcome to the SQ KR club!

I have the EcoBoost so can’t comment on any shudder, but mine was dirty like you described so I washed and waxed with no issue.
Thanks Tex! I’m seriously loving it. Gonna take a while just to figure out all the screen functions. Love the audio text messages & voice reply, wireless charging pad, etc etc. Can’t wait to use the 7.2 generator.
Ok, I’ll go for it & wash er up good soon.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
- All the features from the power tailgate to B&O Unleashed to the giant synch 4 screen are seriously amazing
- I told my cousin who has a 2016 XLT this thing makes my Platinum seem like a dinosaur
- Trucks that take train rides get crazy dirty. They hadn't washed it yet & I remember thinking at first glance "that looks terrible, I hope it's not mine"
- After cleaning up smoked quartz & stone, the colors look great. I think these KR wheels are bad ass. The stone two tone is more subtle than expected & I like it a lot.
- The truck is insanely quiet inside & it's so airtight it's hard to shut the doors with the windows up
- The stock scorpion tires are a complete joke & waste of rubber in my opinion. Went straight to the tire shop & had Michelin Defenders installed. After going from my 2015 Platinum with 2.5" level & 10 ply Grabbers averaging 13-15mpg, I wanted to give this one a try in mostly stock configuration for a while to see what kind of mileage & ride it has.
- No rust on the back of the diff. Front has some, but nothing crazy or concerning
- Drove around town for quite a while in traffic & am figured out how to maximize electric time. Basically in Eco mo under 45mph, any time you hit the brakes to slow down as if you're gonna come to a stop it seems to kill the gas motor which is cool. I was able to pedal it between 10 & 40 to keep it in electric as long as you don't have to take off. Seems like there'll be a bunch of Powerboost drivers around town sometime in the near future driving other cars around them insane haha...
- Thanks to the awesome people on this forum the dealership matched Flood's prices for the ESP and maintenance plan. He couldn't figure out how they could offer those prices, but he matched them without complaining.
- Surprised there's no 4 flat trailer plug, but they do include an adapter for the round to flat at least
Questions:
- At any speed, when accelerating somewhat hard, basically any time the turbo would spool up while driving, the truck seems to shudder. Anyone else notice that with theirs? Since I'm breaking it in I took it fairly easy, but going from 50-70 or so when the turbo kicked in it seemed like something in the trans or maybe motor would shudder.
- When decelerating from around 40 in full electric it feels like it actually downshifts a couple times, once pretty hard, but the shifter still indicates 10th gear.
- How long should I wait to give it a soapy wash & wax etc? Does the paint need to cure or anything? Seems like that crazy train ride would do way more than any sort of cleaning.
Sorry for the huge post, but I'm pretty excited about the truck & wanted to ask about those last couple things I noticed.

IMG_9506.jpg
The colors are beautiful and, as someone waiting for a SQ Platy, I am jealous of those KR Wheels. And I too plan to get rid of the crappy Stock Tires (Hankooks - ugh!)

You have a great-looking rig. Enjoy!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats! I'll be on the lookout for you around town, very few non chrome 601A's get built and even fewer come to our area!

Sponsored

OP
OP
NorCalHunter

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
The colors are beautiful and, as someone waiting for a SQ Platy, I am jealous of those KR Wheels. And I too plan to get rid of the crappy Stock Tires (Hankooks - ugh!)

You have a great-looking rig. Enjoy!
Thanks Mandman! Yeah the Hankooks aren’t much better. Hope your Platy shows up soon!

OP
OP
NorCalHunter

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Congrats! I'll be on the lookout for you around town, very few non chrome 601A's get built and even fewer come to our area!
Thanks! Say hi if you see me around. After Covid I’ll be working in West Sac a lot I think.
Yeah I like the painted bumpers on these better than chrome and again I had to have these wheels. Definitely haven’t seen anything like it around here yet!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Questions:
That's a beauty! I have to concur 100% with your assessment of these new babies, I went from a 13 to a 15 to the 18 and now the 21, all KR. This is a much bigger leap forward than any of those were.

I have not noticed any shutter that you speak of but have felt the down shift while in ele and the tranny not showing a down shift. It doesn't feel like it's anything wrong, like you I guess, I just wonder what it's doing if not a tranny downshift. I thinking it has something to do with using the slow down of the truck to increase the charging to the battery.

I have noticed going down large long hills, if you are in cruse, it will do a better job down shifting to keep your speed close to the cruse setting. In the past I would let it speed up to better my MPGs, now I just let the truck control the speed for I know that puts more power to the battery. I use to not like long light breaking but now I know you are not even using the breaks but just adding juice to the battery. It's a change in driving technique for sure but have had hybrids in the past and have learned a few tricks.

I love the new steering feel at lower speeds also. Good move on your tire selection too, these Defenders are so quite and smooth and are a much better tire, I love Michelin's.

First thing I did was do a better clean up job on the truck when I got home, wax is ok if you don't use a cleaner wax, the paint will still cure with the wax on. I like to use those spray finish waxes, they don't last very long but don't have strong cleaners and are very quick and easy to apply.

I've had mine now for about a month and have figured most everything out and can even remember were most everything is. Guess I'm saying I much more use to it now but it's a bit to learn for sure.

I've tested the power boost and it all works as it is suppose to, really impressive too. I've purchased some thick gauge extension cords (2-25 footers in 12 gauge wire) to keep in the truck, you never know when they could come in handy. I'm even thinking of putting an electric impact wrench in my swing storage, just in case I every have a flat or to help someone out. Can you imagine that photo on the side of the road with a flat or something. Would be like a NASCAR pit stop. :ROFLMAO:

Hard not to have long post when you talking about these bad boys!

Enjoy your new baby!!

OP
OP
NorCalHunter

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
That's a beauty! I have to concur 100% with your assessment of these new babies, I went from a 13 to a 15 to the 18 and now the 21, all KR. This is a much bigger leap forward than any of those were.

I have not noticed any shutter that you speak of but have felt the down shift while in ele and the tranny not showing a down shift. It doesn't feel like it's anything wrong, like you I guess, I just wonder what it's doing if not a tranny downshift. I thinking it has something to do with using the slow down of the truck to increase the charging to the battery.

I have noticed going down large long hills, if you are in cruse, it will do a better job down shifting to keep your speed close to the cruse setting. In the past I would let it speed up to better my MPGs, now I just let the truck control the speed for I know that puts more power to the battery. I use to not like long light breaking but now I know you are not even using the breaks but just adding juice to the battery. It's a change in driving technique for sure but have had hybrids in the past and have learned a few tricks.

I love the new steering feel at lower speeds also. Good move on your tire selection too, these Defenders are so quite and smooth and are a much better tire, I love Michelin's.

First thing I did was do a better clean up job on the truck when I got home, wax is ok if you don't use a cleaner wax, the paint will still cure with the wax on. I like to use those spray finish waxes, they don't last very long but don't have strong cleaners and are very quick and easy to apply.

I've had mine now for about a month and have figured most everything out and can even remember were most everything is. Guess I'm saying I much more use to it now but it's a bit to learn for sure.

I've tested the power boost and it all works as it is suppose to, really impressive too. I've purchased some thick gauge extension cords (2-25 footers in 12 gauge wire) to keep in the truck, you never know when they could come in handy. I'm even thinking of putting an electric impact wrench in my swing storage, just in case I every have a flat or to help someone out. Can you imagine that photo on the side of the road with a flat or something. Would be like a NASCAR pit stop. :ROFLMAO:

Hard not to have long post when you talking about these bad boys!

Enjoy your new baby!!
Thanks for the response Bob! Really appreciate your insight on driving technique for a hybrid. It’s the first one I’ve ever been around & definitely is different to drive. I drive every type of road & terrain on single trips a ton. Freeway to windy canyons to mountain grades to logging roads, so it really helps to hear feedback on driving these things. I’ll be towing a bass boat & high lifter RZR all over those roads too, so I’m looking forward to that when it’s broken in enough to tow.
i agree about the steering. It does seem to have a larger turning radius than previous generations. The Defenders have always been good to us. It hurt my heart when the kid at the tire shop said “you want tostay with a street tire?” Even though these tires are snowflake rated & I’ve busted plenty of Sierra snow with them in the past. Michelin should put those side biting treads on em to make them look mean & they’d sell more to truck guys haha.
I read your post on the waxes & cleaning, and have my cupboard stocked with your recommended products right now! Gonna go start on it this morning. Can’t wait to see it after I’m done.
Great idea on the extension cord, and even the impact wrench! Haha maybe besides driving everyone crazy with our eco mode cruising we’ll be Good Samaritan pit crews too. First thing I did after joining this forum was buy the Noco and cleaning products based on your recommendations, so thanks again for all the advice you’ve given on here. This is by far the best forum around!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the response Bob! Really appreciate your insight on driving technique for a hybrid. It’s the first one I’ve ever been around & definitely is different to drive. I drive every type of road & terrain on single trips a ton. Freeway to windy canyons to mountain grades to logging roads, so it really helps to hear feedback on driving these things. I’ll be towing a bass boat & high lifter RZR all over those roads too, so I’m looking forward to that when it’s broken in enough to tow.
i agree about the steering. It does seem to have a larger turning radius than previous generations. The Defenders have always been good to us. It hurt my heart when the kid at the tire shop said “you want tostay with a street tire?” Even though these tires are snowflake rated & I’ve busted plenty of Sierra snow with them in the past. Michelin should put those side biting treads on em to make them look mean & they’d sell more to truck guys haha.
I read your post on the waxes & cleaning, and have my cupboard stocked with your recommended products right now! Gonna go start on it this morning. Can’t wait to see it after I’m done.
Great idea on the extension cord, and even the impact wrench! Haha maybe besides driving everyone crazy with our eco mode cruising we’ll be Good Samaritan pit crews too. First thing I did after joining this forum was buy the Noco and cleaning products based on your recommendations, so thanks again for all the advice you’ve given on here. This is by far the best forum around!
My pleasure, wife won't listen to me but feels good someone did! :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NorCalHunter

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Could shave in it after washing & spray waxing. Super slick now. Just in time for the pollen to turn it yellow haha. As of now, 90 Miles of driving with 10.9 electric only. Can’t wait to break it in enough to be able to really feel the power of this motor with the 3.73s!

Ford F-150 Picked up KR PB today. First Impressions 10940009-A598-48DC-87E3-5D7124365A7A

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Could shave in it after washing & spray waxing. Super slick now. Just in time for the pollen to turn it yellow haha. As of now, 90 Miles of driving with 10.9 electric only. Can’t wait to break it in enough to be able to really feel the power of this motor with the 3.73s!
Excellent job!

I have the same issue here in the SE with pine pollen, it is already beginning. Will make my white truck look yellow soon. At least with a good wax covering most of it will blow off when I drive off. :sneaky:
Sponsored