First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
Sometimes what you see at the lot isn't the whole story. My Ford dealer has 63 F-150s (mix of on hand and in transit, with it being about 40 that are on hand). But you wouldn't know it at the dealer itself where they have maybe 10-12. They keep a bulk of their vehicles at a storage lot off-site, about five miles away. They keep the most common requested builds and models on site and the rest go to the other lot. Their deliveries go there too, which is how I learned about it since I couldn't find my truck at the lot the weekend it was delivered and asked why.

Anyway, that isn't guaranteed to be every dealer, the one I go to is the second highest volume Ford dealer in the country, so they get and move a lot of inventory. But it just shows that what you see isn't always the whole story. Our dealer likes to keep their lot clean and have parking room for service and commercial vehicles they are prepping.
You're right about that but... I know where the local dealers stash their inventory and those lots are empty too.

I drive 150 miles each way every day for work and pass several (okay, maybe 5) Ford lots and they are all empty with the exception of a truck or two here & there.

It's pretty bleak.

I ordered my truck from a small (and I mean SMALL) town dealership just because I've been doing business with them for 30 years and I feel terrible for them.

I've tried not to jam them too much about my order but after 7 months, I finally had to go in just to "vent" if nothing else.

They were very kind (as always) and I felt a little bad because I know there's nothing they can do but this is just getting ridiculous.

But what am I going to say? Their lot is empty, their storage lot is empty and they're trying to run a retail sales business with ZERO to "sell"!

They've even started closing on weekends which is unheard of for a car dealership. THAT'S how bad it is!

And NOW (apparently) the geniuses in charge for our commerce are diverting every truck driver with a pulse to clear out the backlog at the ports so they can unload ships full of Christmas presents!

(So much for getting any trucks shipped!)

But in the midst of all this, the only thing keeping me from going over the edge is my complete confidence in the inhuman awesomeness of all the wonderful people at the Ford Motor Company.

...FORD is AWESOME!
Sponsored

FORDHOSTAGE

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
Ford's inventory should build during the 4th quarter. They took more of a hit early on this summer. They seem to be on the backside of the curve on availability. At least in the short term.
We're on the same team here Granger. We both bleed Ford Blue but I see TRUCKLOADS and TRUCKLOADS of brand new Teslas on the freeway everyday and HAVE for months.

While on my SEVENTH MONTH waiting for my new F150, hearing about the terrible "chip shortage" I can't help but wonder "why".

Now I know....

FORD is AWESOME!

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
Stopped by yesterday and saw the lot for new trucks was near bone dry. Anyone else seen their dealership lately?
@fmdog44 - I drove to San Antonio for work last week from Houston, and the dealers along I-10 (even in San Antonio) seemed to have low inventory. The Ford and Chevy dealers had Toyota’s on their “front rows” facing the highway. I’m assuming these were trade ins. Lots that I’d guess have 40-50 new trucks on the “front row” had 10-15 (with 3 to 4 being non-dealer makes). Just my $0.02 worth of highway observations.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
We're on the same team here Granger. We both bleed Ford Blue but I see TRUCKLOADS and TRUCKLOADS of brand new Teslas on the freeway everyday and HAVE for months.

While on my SEVENTH MONTH waiting for my new F150, hearing about the terrible "chip shortage" I can't help but wonder "why".

Now I know....

FORD is AWESOME!
Yeah, I agree a short-sighted decision.

From my understanding auto manufacturers have gotten used to getting their way with suppliers. But in this case, when they cancelled the chip manufacturers didn't change their supplies specifically for them. They have so much demand the auto industry had to get back to the end of the line just like everyone else.

WestcampTX

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F150, 2022 Lariat F150 (On Order)
Occupation
Farmer
Pretty much every lot in the country is this way. If a dealer actually has desirable vehicles on the lot, it's probably safe to assume they are raping people with some sort of ridiculous ADM.

Sponsored

johnm605

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Colorado
Occupation
Construction Contractor
If its Bill Brown in Mi they are not accepting out of state buyers. I'm buying an XLT powewrboost for the MSRP price (before discount) Thats about $2K above suggested MSRP. Basic supply and demand at its finest. Im in tri state NY area and the powerboost inventory is very low. Many V8's available but I want the hybrid with the 7.2KW generator. Dealer basically told me that it would be gone in 3 days and wouldn't budge off price.

FORDHOSTAGE

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
Yeah, I agree a short-sighted decision.

From my understanding auto manufacturers have gotten used to getting their way with suppliers. But in this case, when they cancelled the chip manufacturers didn't change their supplies specifically for them. They have so much demand the auto industry had to get back to the end of the line just like everyone else.
Another aspect of this video I found interesting was the way Tesla is operated like a Silicon Valley Tech company –vs- the GM & Ford old school "gear head" gasoline and steel approach.

I realize that we’re talking two totally different scales of production but for how long?

Times are changing and these old school car manufacturers are going to have to change their ways of thinking or they’ll be standing on the sidelines like Boeing and Lockheed watching Musk steal away all their business.

As I wait for my V8 F150, I’m seriously considering leasing instead of buying because in a few years I may want to buy a Cybertruck.

I think they’re ugly as hell but that doesn’t seem to be stopping people from ordering the iMustang!?

FORD is AWESOME!

Last edited:

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Stopped by yesterday and saw the lot for new trucks was near bone dry. Anyone else seen their dealership lately?
Two XL, one XLT, all SCREW. One Lariat in transit, also a SCREW. Two other dealers in area, both huge lots. One has Zero but Escapes out the wazoo. The other has 2 Tuscany (90K+), 2 King Ranch, One XLT, One XL, and 27 in transit of various trims to include 3 Platinum.
Sponsored