Local Dealer vs Granger - lesson learned

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
Got my truck! I was picked up by Chip at the Des Moines airport on Thursday (3/30/23). Once at Granger, I finished the finance and Ford Protect paperwork with Shelby and was on my way home.

This photo was at a rest stop in Illinois:

Ford F-150 Local Dealer vs Granger - lesson learned IMG_1060

The trip home was 1,284 miles. According to the trip meter I averaged 23.3 MPG.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich_D

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Got my truck! I was picked up by Chip at the Des Moines airport on Thursday (3/30/23). Once at Granger, I finished the finance and Ford Protect paperwork with Shelby and was on my way home.

This photo was at a rest stop in Illinois:

IMG_1060.jpg

The trip home was 1,284 miles. According to the trip meter I averaged 23.3 MPG.
It’s a beauty! Congratulations!

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011and 2022 Camry 2023 Ford F150 Platinum Ordered
Occupation
Retired Navy
So, I ordered a MY23 Lariat at my local dealer back on Oct 19. Since I fully expected to wait 6 months or more I didn’t really do a lot of research for where to order or options that might gum up my wait time (shame on me). Only after placing my order did I find this wonderful forum that was a wealth of knowledge, I clearly never had heard of Granger Ford before. After 5 months of waiting with zero contact from my dealer and being ghosted for multiple weeks after reaching out via email, phone and text - as much as it pained me, I decided to go ahead and cancel my order last week. I just couldn’t take another 45 day “we have your order, but no status yet” email. After reading through the posts on this forum and getting a better understanding of how Ford fulfills orders - partially based on dealership allocation, I decided to get a refund for my deposit and place an order for the exact same truck with Granger Ford. While I was hoping and expecting the move would in fact get me my truck earlier, I was still torn after having already waited 5 months from initially placing my order at my local dealer. The emotional pain of being put at the back of the order line quickly subsided when I received my build quote from Granger for 3% under invoice (I was planning on paying MSRP). Between that and the much lower dealership fees, I was saving nearly $10k from my initial expected truck cost! I could wait another 6-9 months for $10k - with the cost savings alone, I knew that I had made the right decision switching my order to Granger. Fast forward 1 week (to the day) later and I get an email today with a VIN and a scheduled production week of 4/24 - I couldn’t believe it!

I know that there is still a long way to go, but I am stoked to actually see light at the end of the tunnel for when I may get my retirement truck! With all that said, I’d just like to thank this group for all the amazing information that gets posted here - if not for this forum, I am sure that I would still be in F-150 order purgatory.

For those interested, my order highlights below:

Powerboost Lariat w 6.5’ bed
502A
Sport Appearance
7.2k Pro Power
Max Trailer Tow
Trailer Tow Mirrors
Bluecruise
FX4
B&O Unleashed
360 Camera
Smart Scales
Bed Utility
Interior Work Surface
I'm so happy to see your post. I did the same thing for my F150 2023 Platinum. When I tell people I saved close to 11K by going with Granger, I don't think they believe me. My local dealer was asking 5K over MSRP for a 2022. I went to another dealer who said he can get the 2023 at MSRP if ordered through them. I did order, and there was no deposit required, and no obligation. I then discovered this forum, and called Granger to see what the catch was. The catch is, I had to drive 300 miles in a rental car to save 11k and get my brand new 2023 Ford F150 with almost all the options and my 6.5 ft bed. Chip and all the Granger Staff were a pleasure to work with, and the process when I picked up my truck was quick and pain free. You won't be sorry. Thanks again for your post.

dkslc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F-150 Lariat Screw Ecoboost
For those interested, my order highlights below:

Powerboost Lariat w 6.5’ bed
502A
Sport Appearance
7.2k Pro Power
Max Trailer Tow
Trailer Tow Mirrors
Bluecruise
FX4
B&O Unleashed
360 Camera
Smart Scales
Bed Utility
Interior Work Surface
Keep in mind that Bluecruise could keep you waiting for a while. I placed an order with Granger in July '22 that included Bluecruise. On 2/6/2023, I reached the conclusion that I really don't need it, so I removed it from my order. Here is the timeline since I removed Bluecruise:

2/9: I received the email that my truck was scheduled for production the week of 3/13.
3/19: "Vehicle has been built" email received
3/20: "Vehicle shipped" email received and Granger Finance started their multi-step checklist
3/31: Granger emailed me that they received my truck

I will be flying out to Iowa next week to pick it up and drive it home.

Once I removed Bluecruise, things moved relatively fast.

Oh yeah, and Granger has been awesome to work with.

Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Keep in mind that Bluecruise could keep you waiting for a while. I placed an order with Granger in July '22 that included Bluecruise. On 2/6/2023, I reached the conclusion that I really don't need it, so I removed it from my order. Here is the timeline since I removed Bluecruise:

2/9: I received the email that my truck was scheduled for production the week of 3/13.
3/19: "Vehicle has been built" email received
3/20: "Vehicle shipped" email received and Granger Finance started their multi-step checklist
3/31: Granger emailed me that they received my truck

I will be flying out to Iowa next week to pick it up and drive it home.

Once I removed Bluecruise, things moved relatively fast.

Oh yeah, and Granger has been awesome to work with.
I don't think Bluecruise is the issue. I ordered my Limited (Bluecruise is standard) in October 2022 and picked it up Jan 31, 2023.

Unless Ford says exactly why a particular build is delayed, we are all just guessing. Part constraints seemed to loosen up a bit over the Jan-Feb time frame this year so who knows.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
The only advice I will give going east coast is either stop at Chicago or push on so somewhere nicer - maybe where Purdue is? It started to snow and I ended up stoping in Gary Indiana at a mid-level chain place. I had to sign a waiver that they were not reponsible for cars in the parking lot and when I got to my room the neighbor was getting her brains f'd out. I understand that is what people do at hotels but the walls were so thin and that went on for an least an hour to the point I was not sure how he was doing it or if she had a line of friends meeting her all night. I ended up giving up at 1:30am and got back on the road..

But considering that was the only negative - you made the right call swtiching your order to there.

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
Got my title paperwork from Granger on 4/11/2023 and registered my truck today in Florida. Feels nice to have that done.

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
I'm just now reading about this Grainger Ford, i'm curious how some of the residency based incentives worked, also, I live in Florida and this would not exactly be convenient to pick up the truck from 1800 miles away.

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
It is my understanding that incentives are based on the location of the buyer. Granger was able to find everything I had coming - including the Farm Bureau incentive that I had not even told them about.

Sponsored

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm just now reading about this Granger Ford, i'm curious how some of the residency based incentives worked, also, I live in Florida and this would not exactly be convenient to pick up the truck from 1800 miles away.
Granger will look for, and find, anything available for your truck.

I organically submitted an my order for a MY22 last may at MSRP of 74k. Ford Canceled all the orders from my dealer on 9/30. I submitted a new Order, Through Granger, on 10/4 MSRP 79,, My prices was 70k. same truck exact truck with the addition of the 2kw pro power an addition of 1k.

When my truck was ready to pick up in Feb of this year they checked and found an additional 4k MY conversion discount. That made my 79k MSRP, 70K Invoice -3% cost me 66K out the door. for a fully loaded Lariat.

So basically I bought a MY 23 Fully loaded Lariat for less than a partially loaded XLT.

I would not be concerned about a few thousand local discounts when you factor in Invoice -3% from a dealer that hides nothing and gives you any deals they can find for you.

Just my experience.

Also The wife is contemplating getting a Jeep. If/when she deciedes to pull the trigger We will be using granger again.

And I live in Oregon and drove 5k miles home making a fun vacation on the way.

Well worth the drive. Good luck

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
Got my title paperwork from Granger on 4/11/2023 and registered my truck today in Florida. Feels nice to have that done.
I'm looking at doing this, what was it like getting the vehicle registered in Florida. I live in Tampa and I have a tag for my recently wrecked 2015 F150 that I will be registering eventually. Did you have to pay taxes, title transfer or was it just initially titled/registered in Florida.

I've never bought a vehicle from out of state and don't know what this process looks like. It would be good hearing from a fellow Floridian about this process. And how much it cost.

gregfromfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Supercrew Platinum 157" Powerboost
I just purchased my truck from Granger Ford. They provide the transfer tag and would do the paperwork for Iowa. It takes about two weeks to process from date of purchase. Granger will overnight the Title paperwork when they receive it from the Iowa DMV. You take the paperwork to your local Florida DMV. You pay the taxes on the sale amount of the vehicle (6%) and fees (Title, registration, tag). Make sure to schedule an appointment date/time at the DMV. Most everything they do now is by appointment.

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
I'm looking at doing this, what was it like getting the vehicle registered in Florida. I live in Tampa and I have a tag for my recently wrecked 2015 F150 that I will be registering eventually. Did you have to pay taxes, title transfer or was it just initially titled/registered in Florida.

I've never bought a vehicle from out of state and don't know what this process looks like. It would be good hearing from a fellow Floridian about this process. And how much it cost.

It wasn't hard but I found the process stressful because I didn't want to make a bunch of trips to the tax office. Here is what I needed in Clay County:
  • Completed Form 82040
  • Title transfer fee: $89.25 with lien holder/$87.75 without
  • Vehicles with purchase price > $5,000: sales tax is 6% + $75 county tax
  • Annual registration fee (varies by vehicle weight)
  • Metal plate: $28 (if not transferring plate from another vehicle)
  • Initial fee of $225 if no Florida tag to transfer
I didn't have to pay the $225 because I had just sold my previous vehicle. And of course they will want proof of insurance.

A couple of things:

The form 82040 is also used for other things, like mobile homes and boats. I had a difficult time figuring out what which fields to fill out. By Googling "Form 82040 and Instructions" I was able to find directions from other Florida tax offices that gave me good info.

The transfer title that Granger sent also has the address for the lien holder on it (if you have one). That helped me a lot because when I titled it I had not yet received anything from Ford Motor Credit.

Good luck!

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
I'm in NJ and I contacted many tri state Ford dealers within 200 mile radius and no one was offering under msrp last Fall. My local dealers offered at least 2-3k over msrp or just wanted me to sign a paper first. Then I read about Granger and placed an order with nearly 10k saving. I picked up my 23 XLT PB back in February and drove it back home almost 1200 miles. Chip was great and I only stayed at the dealership about 10 minutes. My local didn't believe me when I showed them what Chip sent me and they still don't believe me what I paid for mine. They are so proud of themselves for offering all F150s at msrp these days.
Sponsored