Ford strikes again, this time the OTC parts warranty

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
The document makes zero mention that the part has to be replacing something originally installed on the vehicle from the factory or specificallylisted for a particular VIN (i.e. YOUR vehicle as claimed in the quoted section here) just that it has to be in the "authorized catalog." I would argue that any part available as an option for that trim level would definitely qualify for OTC part purchase warranty and quite possibly any part for that vehicle and model year regardless of trim level.

To me the dealer is just being a pain.
The document clearly states that parts installed in vehicles other than those listed in Ford Authorized Catalog including other Ford brands are NOT covered.

Is HIS vehicle listed in the Ford Authorized Catalog for THAT part?

If yes, it should be covered.
If not, then it should not be covered.

I would argue that any part available as an option for that trim level would definitely qualify for OTC part purchase warranty and quite possibly any part for that vehicle and model year regardless of trim level.
You can argue that point all you want, but it's irrelevant because what you THINK isn't what governs whether or not the warranty will cover it. The terms & conditions outlined in their policy - that PDF document - are what determines warranty coverage.

The T&C doc does not say "If it was offered as an option for that trim level, it's covered", nor does it say "any part for that vehicle and model year regardless of trim level, is covered" It does, however, clearly state the vehicle has to be in the Ford Authorized Catalog for that part or it's not covered.

Those T&C are a contract, and what's in the contract is ALL that matters.
Sponsored

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I’m being told, if you buy a ford part from the ford parts counter and install it in a vehicle that never originally had that part, the part warranty is out the window. Whether or not the part is DOA.
If that is what they are telling you, that is not what the exclusion reads.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nch test for the rain sensor?
If that's the case then the dealership shouldn't have sold you the part in the first place since it's not a "valid" part for your configuration.
It's not their responsibility to ensure you own or are installing it in any particular vehicle. Maybe you want to bronze it and make a statue out of it for your mantle.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
The document clearly states that parts installed in vehicles other than those listed in Ford Authorized Catalog including other Ford brands are NOT covered.

Is HIS vehicle listed in the Ford Authorized Catalog for THAT part?

If yes, it should be covered.
If not, then it should not be covered.

You can argue that point all you want, but it's irrelevant because what you THINK isn't what governs whether or not the warranty will cover it. The terms & conditions outlined in their policy - that PDF document - are what determines warranty coverage.

The T&C doc does not say "If it was offered as an option for that trim level, it's covered", nor does it say "any part for that vehicle and model year regardless of trim level, is covered" It does, however, clearly state the vehicle has to be in the Ford Authorized Catalog for that part or it's not covered.

Those T&C are a contract, and what's in the contract is ALL that matters.
If that were the case, the dealers would be obligated to have a disclaimer posted on the warranty exclusion or only sell for installation to verified VIN numbers so you would need to provide a VIN before purchase to validate the warranty. Ford does not require this. Is it worth a fight for a $40 sensor - probably not. For $1800 tow mirrors, it would be.

OP
OP

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
If that were the case, the dealers would be obligated to have a disclaimer posted on the warranty exclusion or only sell for installation to verified VIN numbers so you would need to provide a VIN before purchase to validate the warranty. Ford does not require this. Is it worth a fight for a $40 sensor - probably not. For $1800 tow mirrors, it would be.
that’s a perfect example!!

Ford sells tow mirrors and advertises them for people who want to add them to trucks that didn’t come with them. If I buy a set and one fails, are they gonna look up my vin and say it didn’t come with them so I’m screwed?

I didn’t post this to start a fight with everyone who’s clearly smarter than I am. I was just putting a warning out there since there’s a lot of people adding things ford “force deleted” from their trucks.

Sponsored

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The T&C do not say anything about having to match a VIN, so your "example" of not matching a VIN is meaningless.

Contracts are based on words, not opinions or feelings. I'm sorry you don't like that. It's referred to as 'contract law'.

Did I say I AGREED with them not covering it? Oh, hell NO, I do not agree with them failing to cover it.

All I'm saying is: Whatever the T&C states is what governs what's covered. Period.

OP
OP

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The T&C do not say anything about having to match a VIN, so your "example" of not matching a VIN is meaningless.

Contracts are based on words, not opinions or feelings. I'm sorry you don't like that. It's referred to as 'contract law'.

Did I say I AGREED with them not covering it? Oh, hell NO, I do not agree with them failing to cover it.

All I'm saying is: Whatever the T&C states is what governs what's covered. Period.
completely understood, but the parts catalogue for MY VEHICLE won’t show tow mirrors does that give them an out to not cover them? I really have no idea.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
completely understood, but the parts catalogue for MY VEHICLE won’t show tow mirrors does that give them an out to not cover them? I really have no idea.
If you are aware of the T&C before you buy something, that's the risk you take, right?

If you're not aware of the T&C before you buy something, caveat emptor, right?

I think it's crappy, but I also think they are covering their butts.

They do this because some people ARE stupid enough that we have to do things like put warning labels on baby strollers that say "CAUTION: REMOVE CHILD BEFORE FOLDING" and on wheelbarrows that say "CAUTION: NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE".

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
It's not their responsibility to ensure you own or are installing it in any particular vehicle.
It's not, but I find it funny that they have no trouble selling parts to people and not verifying the parts they're selling fall inline with a particular vehicle in their catalog, but the second a person tries to file a warranty on a defective part then checking the catalog is their first action.

I understand them covering their asses because I'm sure people damage parts with improper installs. I'm curious if this dealer is a fairly high online parts seller and of people have run into the same issue at their local dealership. Perhaps this is a case of the former and they just don't want to deal with part warranty stuff because they sell so many parts online.

OP
OP

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It's not, but I find it funny that they have no trouble selling parts to people and not verifying the parts they're selling fall inline with a particular vehicle in their catalog, but the second a person tries to file a warranty on a defective part then checking the catalog is their first action.

I understand them covering their asses because I'm sure people damage parts with improper installs. I'm curious if this dealer is a fairly high online parts seller and of people have run into the same issue at their local dealership. Perhaps this is a case of the former and they just don't want to deal with part warranty stuff because they sell so many parts online.
Varsity ford parts online is damn near the cheapest around. My local dealer says they can’t get close to their prices and they must be pushing out pretty high volume to get their prices that low. Again we are talking about dealers here so who knows

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
My local dealer says they can’t get close to their prices and they must be pushing out pretty high volume to get their prices that low.
Then my guess is they know exactly what they're doing. Win-win for them.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you buy a jar of peanut butter, does the grocery store question you to make sure no one that will eat said peanut butter has a peanut allergy, lest they DENY your purchase?

Yes, as adults, we are responsible for our own decisions.

I can also see the flip side: These forums would be up in arms if we all had to prove we owned a specific year/make/model of vehicle before a dealership or online retailer would ALLOW us the privilege of purchasing something.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Varsity ford parts online is damn near the cheapest around. My local dealer says they can’t get close to their prices and they must be pushing out pretty high volume to get their prices that low. Again we are talking about dealers here so who knows
Varsity Ford is just a handful of miles from my house.

The Varsity Automotive Group also owns additional Ford and Lincoln dealerships in Novi, MI and Wixom, MI, both of which I drive by almost every day.

The do move a lot of product, so I assume their parts and service departments are very active as well.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Buyer beware to those adding parts that didn’t come on your truck!!

I bought a bunch of parts from varsity ford parts .com to add the heated wheel, rain sensor, etc
Rain sensor seemed bad out of the box, kept throwing error codes. So I reached out to varsity and they said send it back with mileage in/mileage out and the vin. I sent it in as requested. I then get a response yesterday saying my vin never had that part so ford won’t warranty it. They then send me a document only available to dealers with the info. I’m sure it’s in some fine print somewhere. Luckily it was under $40

lesson learned, use a donor vin if trying to warranty parts. They’ll prolly pull some BS saying that vehicle isn’t registered to you, etc.
rant over, for now. Haha
002368CD-F474-4F2A-9CEC-0B7D0B6BB60B.jpeg
Did they say specifically which bullet-point in the Not Covered section was disqualified your warranty request?

If not I would ask for clarification.

If it was the "Parts installed in vehicles other than those listed in Ford Authorized Catalog" including other Ford brands" section then I would demand they prove your truck is NOT in said catalog.

You could also ask to speak to a supervisor or talk with whoever runs this dealer's internet department.

Just my two cents.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
Many credit cards offer extended warranty and/or return protection when vendor doesn't accept the return. Just go that route.

I am still waiting on parts from Varsity for the heated steering wheel...
Sponsored