Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
Hey folks,

I just picked up my new 2022 Lariat a couple of weeks ago and just hit 1,000 miles a few days ago.

Recently I noticed an audible click when engaging the brake pedal while driving, at about the first inch of travel. It feels a lot like some sort of a relay, it makes an audible click and I can sense it on the foot as well.

Wanted to see if you guys have noticed this on your trucks or if it’s something I should get checked out?
Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Yep, Dynamic braking with the electric motor. Hydraulic brakes Kick in when needed. You can see when each is active on the ECO coach screen. Green is Dynamic and white is Hydraulic brakes.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
So, to answer your question, mine does the same thing. And I feel that this is more of a spring compressing “tink tink” than a relay. This sound has gotten louder over the 38k miles of ownership. 2 other trucks with same brakes do not make the noise nearly as loud.

Gabes

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 2.7 EB, 2021 F150 PB
Occupation
Machinist
Mine does the same thing. Doesn't sound and feel right to me. Didn't do it when it was new, got louder all of a sudden.

OP
OP
Mladen5375

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
Mine does the same thing. Doesn't sound and feel right to me. Didn't do it when it was new, got louder all of a sudden.
I will take mine in when I get some time just to make sure it's nothing major

Sponsored

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Anyone else experience this clicking sound from under the dash when applying pressure to the brake pedal?

Seems to only happen once at startup up or per trip should you have not applied enough pressure while shifting into gear initially at first start.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 Lariat has done it since I got it. Not all the time and sometimes very quiet or not at all.

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Mine does it too. Pretty quiet though, so I only notice it when the radio is low or off.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone else experience this clicking sound from under the dash when applying pressure to the brake pedal?

Seems to only happen once at startup up or per trip should you have not applied enough pressure while shifting into gear initially at first start.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

MapGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL; 2020 Ford Expedition XLT
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.
Hey guys, I just got a 2023 F150 XL 5.0 V8 SuperCrew 2wd. I noticed this same click at almost exactly 800 odometer miles. Sometimes there is no click, some times it occurs with every single press of the brakes. Sometimes the click is barely audible, and sometimes the click is louder. I'm not sure, but I think sometimes I can detect just the slightest feel of the click. Maybe that feeling is just mental. Everything seems to function properly. Just that annoying click. I can get used to it if there is no fix or real reason to get it fixed or if this is just normal operating sounds. I love my truck. It's great, truly, but that click, though.

Like others have said, my truck makes the click about 5-10% depression of the pedal at speeds between above about 15 mph and below about 45 mph. I am most interested in what process is causing the click. When it's in the mood to click, I can rapidly tap the pedal and I hear the click just as fast as I'm tapping the brakes. My guess is it's a relay switch clicking and hopefully not some mechanical linkage clicking in the master cylinder or brake booster or some other physical part of the braking system. The relationship of the click and vehicle speed is what blows my mind. Will not do it at 60 mph and will not do it at 5 mph. And I have not confirmed, but I think based on the amount of depression of the pedal, the brake lights are on well before the click. Did anyone ever get an explanation or see a TSB for this? It's definitely not related to any hybrid system clearly.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Chrisprutw

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hey guys, I just got a 2023 F150 XL 5.0 V8 SuperCrew 2wd. I noticed this same click at almost exactly 800 odometer miles. Sometimes there is no click, some times it occurs with every single press of the brakes. Sometimes the click is barely audible, and sometimes the click is louder. I'm not sure, but I think sometimes I can detect just the slightest feel of the click. Maybe that feeling is just mental. Everything seems to function properly. Just that annoying click. I can get used to it if there is no fix or real reason to get it fixed or if this is just normal operating sounds. I love my truck. It's great, truly, but that click, though.

Like others have said, my truck makes the click about 5-10% depression of the pedal at speeds between above about 15 mph and below about 45 mph. I am most interested in what process is causing the click. When it's in the mood to click, I can rapidly tap the pedal and I hear the click just as fast as I'm tapping the brakes. My guess is it's a relay switch clicking and hopefully not some mechanical linkage clicking in the master cylinder or brake booster or some other physical part of the braking system. The relationship of the click and vehicle speed is what blows my mind. Will not do it at 60 mph and will not do it at 5 mph. And I have not confirmed, but I think based on the amount of depression of the pedal, the brake lights are on well before the click. Did anyone ever get an explanation or see a TSB for this? It's definitely not related to any hybrid system clearly.

Thanks!
Just curious if you found out anything on this issue?

mkevans_ca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - F150 XLT Super Crew
Hi - I have a '23 XLT SCREW - doing the same thing - I feel two clicks - one 5-10% the other after about 25% - I hear a noise as well - sounds like an electric motor whirl like if you spin it without power. I don't feel anything different with my braking. This is intermittent - doesn't do it all the time. I also have some pretty good kickback on my brake pedal on cold starts - hold break - push button start - audible and can feel kickback. I have an appt tomorrow with the dealer to see what they say.

** Update post service visit **
they found a code in the EBB (brake booster) showing an error - replacement EBB is on order
Sponsored

Last edited: