3.5L PowerBoost Boron component in engine oil

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I began doing oil analysis on my Powerboost. I have recently noted that the Boron component of my oil (I use Amsoil) declines with mileage on the oil. So I looked into its effect on engines. This article speaks to that. Apparently it reduces friction yielding better MPG and does seem to reduce some emissions. But it does seem to be consumed with an endpoint of somewhere's around 12-14,000 miles on the oil. Other additives seem to remain fairly stable: Mo, Mn, C, Mg, Ph, & Zn. Total Base Number also declines over that interval. Food for thought.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I began doing oil analysis on my Powerboost.
Just curious, are you using Blackstone or ....?

But it [boron] does seem to be consumed with an endpoint of somewhere's around 12-14,000 miles on the oil.
Which conveniently coincides with Amsoil's claimed 'guaranteed protection for 12k miles' on their 'high mileage' 100% synthetic, but busts Mobil 1 EP's claim of up to 20k miles.

Is it 'fair' to assume that boron depletion / 'endpoint' is a function of the amount of boron in the additive package?

Food for thought.
Perhaps for folks who try to stretch oil-change intervals.

Not my 'style', oil is cheap (I happen to follow the OLM which dictates changes well under 10k miles, at least for me and my 3.5EB) ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Yes I use Blackstone. As to endpoint... I infer that it would be out there given the depletion slope. I don't stretch oil. I monitor it and when the chemistry says to change it, I do so. I believe the "Oil is cheap" philosophy really ends up throwing away good oil, thus increasing the petroleum products waste stream... As to Mobil One's claims? It depends on whether they include Boron in their additive package.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
To add to the Mobil One words. I don't know whether Boron is in their additive package. It may not be. If it is not then looking at the other additives I'm monitoring (eg Mo, Mn, C, Mg, Ph, & Zn) they do not appear to deplete. However the other thing to pay attention to is Total Base Number. That does deplete and if your oil goes acidic, that's bad. Looking back at my sample results, TBN looks to me like it might deplete somewhere around the same time as the Boron. So I end up at the same place with AmsOil in my planning.
Sponsored