Sponsored

Are tires the limiting factor on the "Yellow Sticker" number (Truck Cargo/Occupant Weight Capacity)?

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Are tires the limiting factor on the "Yellow Sticker" number?

For instance, if I were to put E rated LT tires with a higher load index on my truck, would that number effectively increase due to the higher weight capacity of the tires?

Going from a 115 to 126 load index is going from 2679lbs to 3748lbs per tire so I'm sure it wouldn't increase the number by 4276lbs but would it increase it some amount?

Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored

Last edited:

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Unfortunately, all your likely going to get from a tire with a higher load index is a stiffer ride. While tires certainly play into the equation to a degree, the biggest factor in your yellow sticker number is axle weight/strength. No about of tire strength is going to stop you from snapping and axle by overloading the truck.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
Rating is to the weakest link. My max tow King Ranch rear GAWR IS 4150 pounds, which appears to be at tire & wheel limit. Tires are rated “116” or 2806 lbs. I belive they de-rate to 70% rear and 60% front. Two times 70% of 2806 lbs is 3928 lbs, add weight of 2 tires and wheels on that and you are in the 4150 neighborhood.
Stiff E-rated tires and stronger wheels might buy headroom, but the axle itself, springs, brakes, and frame must also be up to the task......
F-250 would be the next step!

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
None of us have enough information to know what the limiting factor is on these payload numbers. On some trucks it can be power/gearing related, on others it may be braking capacity related, frame strength, axle strength, spring ratings, wheel strength, or tire rating, or it may just be the truck's center of gravity based on where all the weight is. There are a number of factors listed here, and probably others I have forgotten or just don't know about. The point is, no one can tell you with any certainty if moving up to E range tires will buy you additional theoretical payload capacity, but since the yellow sticker isn't going to change, it is still going to be the number you are held to regardless if you have E load range tires or not. I can tell you that those E load range tires are going to be heavier, so technically if you put the truck on scales they will reduce your available payload, all while riding harder and hurting your performance in braking, accelerating, and fuel mileage.
Sponsored