Amsoil 5-30 3.5 Ecoboost

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I referred to independent lab testing of the additive mixes of the various motor oils. The fleet operators have millions of dollar in equipment and more tied up in maximizing up time for their trucks and so they rely on independent oil experts.

Diesel engines are much harder on the motor oil and so the additive mix is critical for minimizing wear. A gallon of motor oil may contain additives that make up 25% of its volume so one is paying for that additive mix and no so much the "oil".

I am old enough to remember when STP additive was sold as "the racers' edge" and people bought and used it in the hope it might keep their engines running longer. The real problem was the tetraethyllead added to gasoline to boost the octane rating. and which was the primary factor in accelerating engine wear. With lead out of the gasoline engine life doubled and an engine with 200K on it is commonplace.
I observed, and administered, the Navy's Oil Analysis Program across several ships (on one of those I was chief engineer). It covered all lubricating oils, diesel, gasoline, steam turbines, air compressors, etc. The results were as valid on every piece of equipment as on the diesels. So, doing it on my gas engine is a good thing and equally valid as on any fleet diesel. The idea is to make your engine last. I did this on a 92 GMC Suburban 350 cubic inch V-8 that has gone over 30 years, original engine, and getting 3 to 4 thousand miles per quart at that age. The fact that my "fleet" has four vehicles in it doesn't mean the chemistry analysis program is meaningless...
Sponsored