Amp question for experienced

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
If loudness isnt my end goal (never turn up past half on the 7 speaker stock stereo), how important is an amplifer?

All I want is really good clarity and bass that is well defined but not window rattling.

Would feeding a flat signal to high quality replacement speakers (that work well without an amp) get me what I want?
Do I need a small powered sub?

Im going to dynamat atleast the front doors.

Any inputs are appreciated.
Sponsored

Jersey devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
My feeling is that you'll want to replace the factory speakers to begin with. Put a set of 6x9's in the front doors and 6 1/2" in the rears. While doing that install dynamat or an alternative If you don't mind investing a few more dollars soundsgoodstereo.com makes block off plates for the cavernous openings in the doors. Look at their website and you'll see what they are.

Now the issue that may happen is that high quality aftermarket speakers usually like to have some power feeding them. Thus you may end up installing an amp as well.

My suggestion would be to do the speakers first and take it from there.

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
My feeling is that you'll want to replace the factory speakers to begin with. Put a set of 6x9's in the front doors and 6 1/2" in the rears. While doing that do the dynamat or and alternative and if don't mind investing a few more dollars soundsgoodstereo.com makes click of plates for the cavernous openings in the doors.

Now the issue that may happen is that high quality aftermarket speakers usually like to have some power feeding them. Thus you may end up installing an amp as well.

My suggestion would be to do the speakers first and take it from there.
Thanks @Jersey devil. Makes sense. I may ask the crutchfield guys for recs of speakers that run well off a factory amp.

Big game tonight btw... Sharks are my team so I'm rooting for Timo.

Jersey devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Be careful with Crutchfield. They say 6x9's don't fit in the front doors but they do. For some reason their data base is wrong. Many guys have put them in no problem. The install as the previous generation.

If you need dynamat I have quite a few ( approx 12 ) sheets of second skin dampening mats left over from when I did my install. I can let you have it cheap since I don't need it anymore. I ordered too much. Here's a link showing it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7CGHG...d_r=05e669e2-3507-44d4-b980-3f821161c994&th=1

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
Be careful with Crutchfield. They say 6x9's don't fit in the front doors but they do. For some reason their data base is wrong. Many guys have put them in no problem. The install as the previous generation.

If you need dynamat I have quite a few ( approx 12 ) sheets of second skin dampening mats left over from when I did my install. I can let you have it cheap since I don't need it anymore. I ordered too much. Here's a link showing it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7CGHG...d_r=05e669e2-3507-44d4-b980-3f821161c994&th=1
Thanks. Those plates are interesting. I think Im ok on the material, since I still have a bunch of 80mil butyl leftover from a previous install as well.