First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I was thinking about swapping out the stock AGM battery for an optima yellow top. But noticed there are a few lithium ion batteries available. Would you go with the lithium or the optima? Why?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I was thinking about swapping out the stock AGM battery for an optima yellow top. But noticed there are a few lithium ion batteries available. Would you go with the lithium or the optima? Why?
never mind, the lithium doesn’t do what I thought it does. Evidently they are good for powering, but not starting

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Optima batteries are overpriced junk now, read the reviews. Anyone who has owned an original has been sorely disappointed by the performance of the current ones.

The original ones were amazing and I had one that lasted over 14 years in AZ, which is unheard of, since batteries rarely last over two years here. When mine went bad and I spent far too much time researching and asking around. The conclusion was that they have been coasting on their reputation and even worse, there are many reports of difficulty in getting them warrantied.

One brand people are still praising is Odyssey batteries, though I have no personal experience. Pretty much every lead acid battery you get will be made by one of a few manufacturers that brand them for various suppliers.

I read good reviews on the Ford label batteries but I am already on my second. The warranty is good but next time I will just get the Autozone battery because they are everywhere, the price is okay and in the AZ heat, you are pretty much guaranteed to have it go bad in the warranty period.

Back in the Northeast, I usually had my batteries last five years and they would always go bad on the first cold day of the year. I really paid no attention to brand.

Just stick with the stock AGM and warranty it out when it gets weak.

I use this for an easy way to diagnose weak batteries and charging issues:

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

Once the voltage drops below 10V while cranking, you should plan on replacing the battery.

If you are worried about getting stranded, get one of those little booster packs.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Just got my wife a 2020 expedition with the 3.5. We are 6 months in and on our THIRD Ford AGM battery. All warrantied. She was getting low power alerts after not driving for two days and eventually it crapped out.
First battery I blamed dealer since it sat on lot for like 6 months. Second one apparently had a bad cell a week after replacement lol. Third times the charm???

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
I know this is a bit old but I was over zealous wanting to get a badass battery because of early low voltage issues I had with this truck.
only at 3050 miles and have a misfire cylinder 2 P0302 that won’t clear and the Ford shop is almost 2 months out.
I convinced myself if I get a badass battery I’ll get rid of some of
These seemingly nuisance CEL I’m getting.
Long story short.
Odyssey Extreme 65 terminals are opposite and the F150 harness is so tight I cannot get it to fit.
Im just doing parking lot tooling for now but I’m thinking at this point it’s a sign I should just return the battery tomorrow.
I bought one of those cigarette lighter plugs that tells you battery voltage and right before I bought the battery my OEM was barely 12.5VDC after a decent drive definitely getting into RPMS.
Since my sh!t show of a battery swap I have the OEM battery back in and was noticing 14.1VDC on my drive and 12.8VDC when I parked for a bit.
The original is probably fine but I really like the idea of peace of mind and that badass odyssey battery.
Anyone install one of these?

Ford F-150 AGM (oe) vs Optima vs lithium ion battery 7F3BF304-65B2-46AC-A810-B08A1538B902

Ford F-150 AGM (oe) vs Optima vs lithium ion battery 1B435920-F243-4FDF-9A37-1944E27E76CA

Ford F-150 AGM (oe) vs Optima vs lithium ion battery 6B121880-9FB7-4688-9ADF-0F0B3EF212A4

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Using the Odyssey website to search for 2020 F150, this pops up:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm94r-h7-l4-battery-94r-850/

You can also rig up something like this:

Ford F-150 AGM (oe) vs Optima vs lithium ion battery 19CC25E3-0C87-4AB3-9392-D137B9EB4583

Though for a brand new truck it's kind of silly, I really wish that they stopped making the OEM leads barely long enough to reach, since sometimes you have to trim them shorter after a while to eliminate corroded copper wire.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
odyssey or Northstar batteries. Some places might sell them rebranded for less money. Sears used to have diehard platinum but I don't think they do anymore. Up here in Canada Canadian tire sells their top end deep cycle which is a rebranded odyssey battery also.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Dudes!
The kid yesterday gave me a what Ford was.
I just went to return and was given the correct model.
Amen. Now to satisfy my cause I wanna itch.

Ford F-150 AGM (oe) vs Optima vs lithium ion battery 3600826D-DD01-4EC3-A85C-23C76D600D32

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Ordered this on fir myself should get here tomorrow
Screenshot_20211013-064707_Chrome.jpg
Damn that seems expensive, do you have a big stereo or just worried about the stock one? How's it working out?

Sponsored

Roughneck4Life

First Name
JoeSchmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MegaRaptor F-250
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
You could not pay me any money on Earth to put an AGM piece of shat in any of vehicles. They are crap. Spend one winter in North Dakota, or Alaska, and you won't be going anywhere. I do not have a dog in the fight, but I would never want anyone to ever have to experience what I suffered. I pray no one has to nearly get hypothermia because their AGM battery froze SOLID. Yes, solid. The glass mat... yada yada yada - it's straight bullsh*t.

Learning my lesson, which nearly cost me my life, from now, on I only run Dakota Lithium Batteries, or Antigravity Batteries (it's the name of the company, not the science -same thing I thought when I saw the name lol). Anyway, as a petroleum engineer working in the North Dakota winters and one hellashish Alaskan winter, I can safely say that BOTH companies withstood the torture test. Also, the Snowzilla artic freeze that we had last winter (2021) in Texas, both batteries started every time while my neighbors on the ranch called me to jump start their 24 volt system in their excavator to rescue the dog that fell through the ice of their pond. So if any of you badass roughnecks don't want to be stranded and have to eat the last McDonald's ketchup packet under your seat to survive, then I suggest running either Lithium battery and depositing the AGM battery on the trash heap of history where it belongs.

Cheers!

dmcelhaney06

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150
Occupation
Teacher
You could not pay me any money on Earth to put an AGM piece of shat in any of vehicles. They are crap. Spend one winter in North Dakota, or Alaska, and you won't be going anywhere. I do not have a dog in the fight, but I would never want anyone to ever have to experience what I suffered. I pray no one has to nearly get hypothermia because their AGM battery froze SOLID. Yes, solid. The glass mat... yada yada yada - it's straight bullsh*t.

Learning my lesson, which nearly cost me my life, from now, on I only run Dakota Lithium Batteries, or Antigravity Batteries (it's the name of the company, not the science -same thing I thought when I saw the name lol). Anyway, as a petroleum engineer working in the North Dakota winters and one hellashish Alaskan winter, I can safely say that BOTH companies withstood the torture test. Also, the Snowzilla artic freeze that we had last winter (2021) in Texas, both batteries started every time while my neighbors on the ranch called me to jump start their 24 volt system in their excavator to rescue the dog that fell through the ice of their pond. So if any of you badass roughnecks don't want to be stranded and have to eat the last McDonald's ketchup packet under your seat to survive, then I suggest running either Lithium battery and depositing the AGM battery on the trash heap of history where it belongs.

Cheers!
https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...r-starter-deep-cycle-lifepo4-battery-1000cca/

Is this the battery from Dakota Lithium you're running? If so are you having any issues with the amp output of the alternator? I've been researching and can't figure out if the alternator puts out too many amps for this battery. I'm wanting to run one to help power a Dometic 12v Cooler for camping.

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 PB Lariat
I wonder how the lithium batteries get recharged when ambient temps never get above freezing for months on end. Not a problem for the lower latitudes, but I would imagine it must cause problems in the great white north.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I can't find a dakota lithium battery that is compatible with our trucks. I think we need battery group 65 batteries. I've seen some group 24
Sponsored