Sponsored

Advice needed: wheel well liner touching shock

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I have a 2021 F150 XLT SCREW 5.5 Bed Powerboost. Installed the husky wheel well liners that I bought off husky's official website. Brand new truck, 150 miles on it.

The passenger side liner is touching the shock. Driver side has about 2 inches of clearance. I double and triple checked that I installed it correctly. Please see the attached picture.

Will this cause any issues? I have a busy rest of the summer and uninstalling, getting it all boxed up and driving 45 mins one way to the UPS store to return to husky is a PITA. Can I just cut the liner a bit with some shears if touching is going to cause an issue?

Ford F-150 Advice needed: wheel well liner touching shock IMG_20210814_165227
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Other than it might rub some paint off and show a little rust, it won't hurt anything. Like you said, I'd just cut it.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
Trim it with some tin snips.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I call this good aftermarket fitment!!!

Aftermarket parts never fit like OEM parts. Well… I guess there are a few aftermarket companies/parts with real OEM fit and finish, but they are few and far in between.

It is a lot easier to snip the edge of that plastic than it is to chop through a SN-95 front inner unibody metal, all because Vortech failed multiple times during the engineering of a 99 Mustang GT V2 SQ blower kit. That unibody metal crap is stronger than it looks BTW, and now knowing more than I did then, I have come to realize that Vortech jacked up so many things on that kit and I should have sent it back, rather than chop my car up to make up for their short comings.

But you live, you learn to expect this with aftermarket, and if you catch a winner AM part that does fit like OEM, then you can actually be happy!

But otherwise, I’d I had a nice set of these and they were rubbing my shock, I would call the company and tell them where it’s rubbing (send them lick) and let them send you a new one that fits right.

The one you received could be warped, part of a bad bad lot from the factory in China, etc. so there are many factors.

Im assuming the part has a warranty, so I would try that route before cutting it.

Problem is, they are probably going to tell you to clip it and move on anyway. Lol. There’s probably an * somewhere with some fine print.

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Mine was the same. Driver side fit fine, the passenger side rubbed the shock. I trimmed some off with a Dremel tool.
Sponsored