Sponsored

4.10 Ratio w/ Torsen???

FTLBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2020 Expedition Limited
I was just reviewing the order I placed today for a 2022 Tremor and noticed something I'd never seen before. It calls out a 3.73 ratio for the rear axle, and a 4.10 ratio for the front axle with the Torsen differential. Does anyone know about this? I would assume I'll want both ratios to be the same. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Ford F-150 4.10 Ratio w/ Torsen??? IMG_4456
Ford F-150 4.10 Ratio w/ Torsen??? IMG_4457
Sponsored

Madeinchina

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor, 2012 Mustang GT
4.1 on the torsen is referring to the torsen bias ratio of the differential, not the front axle ratio. Tremor front and rear gear ratio will be 3.73 throughout. You're good to go.

OP
OP
FTLBS

FTLBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2020 Expedition Limited
4.1 on the torsen is referring to the torsen bias ratio of the differential, not the front axle ratio. Tremor front and rear gear ratio will be 3.73 throughout. You're good to go.
Thank you!

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m pretty sure the raptor has a torque bias of 2.5:1.
I highly doubt that the tremor is higher than that as they use the same parts.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
When announced the Torsen 4.10 front differential option was supposed to force 4.10 gears on the rear differential. This was for people who wanted to immediately go with large diameter tires. For the consumer, this is potentially thousands of dollars saved over the alternative of re-gearing a brand new truck, not to mention the warranty implications.

Differential gear ratios are traditionally written as a decimal number to the hundredths place (0.00), omitting the :1 in most cases. This is likely from when mechanics, engineers and gearheads used to actually speak to each other in person. The vernacular is to imply both the decimal and ratio by saying 'three seven three,' or 'three seventy three' rather than saying 'three point seven three to one' when discussing differential final drive ratio. 4.10 gears, which are identical to 4.1 numerically are written as 4.10, since spoken they are 'four ten' gears. Not to mention, when in a table it's much nicer to see the superfluous zero and it also makes more certain that they are 4.10 and not a typo of 4.11 gears.

Bias ratio is written as a ratio with a colon (0:0) and the Torsen unit shipped in the Raptor has a bias ratio 2.5:1 under power and 2.1:1 while coasting. It's likely the same unit available for Tremor and from Ford Performance to install into the current 8.8" front differential.

https://www.sae.org/news/2020/03/ford-raptor-unique-front-driveline

Early on, Ford's own literature promised a lot of functional improvements in the Tremor like Tremor specific front knuckles but recently they've been pretty quiet.
Sponsored