Sponsored

2wd w/ Electronic Locking rear Axle or 4wd?

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Was not sure where to post this, so here it is.

I want to special order an F150. I will be towing a small boat under 20 feet on a regular basis (Lots of Boat ramp use). Maybe twice a year I will tow a travel trailer of 20 feet. I am thinking about upgrading to a travel trailer of 26 feet and roughly 5,500 lbs. This being my first truck Im thinking I can make this happen with the 2.7 turbo. Now the question becomes do I need 4wd? Can I get away with 2wd and an Electronic locking rear axle? Or do I need both the 4wd and Electronic locking rear axle. Obviously I am on a budget here or I would just get the 3.5 turbo with 4wd and Electronic locking rear axle. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrog540

First Name
rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Explorer, 1962 Impala 409 SS, 1965 Pontiac GTO Conv.
Occupation
Retired

I want to special order an F150. I will be towing a small boat under 20 feet on a regular basis (Lots of Boat ramp use). Maybe twice a year I will tow a travel trailer of 20 feet. I am thinking about upgrading to a travel trailer of 26 feet and roughly 5,500 lbs. This being my first truck Im thinking I can make this happen with the 2.7 turbo. Now the question becomes do I need 4wd? Can I get away with 2wd and an Electronic locking rear axle? Or do I need both the 4wd and Electronic locking rear axle. Obviously I am on a budget here or I would just get the 3.5 turbo with 4wd and Electronic locking rear axle. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant

Thanks!
I am doing E-locking rear axle explicitly to help pull my boat up the ramp. I don’t think I need 4x4. Saving the bucks.

jrog540

First Name
rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Explorer, 1962 Impala 409 SS, 1965 Pontiac GTO Conv.
Occupation
Retired
I fished Pro Bass Tournaments for years with my F-150 that was equipped with 302 V-8, Auto, 2WD, with a 3.55 locking axle and never had a problem launching or retrieving my boat. I've had numerous bass boats that weighed 3500- 4500 lbs. You don't have to have 4 WD to launch/retrieve a boat.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang

Thanks!
Unless you are at real bad ramp or at no ramp you will be fine with just a locker. A lot of people overbuy 4wd because they are worried. Saves money not having it and gas mileage. I would not get the 2.7 unless you get the 2.7 payload package. Especially if you are going to tow a travel trailer don’t get it. The 2.7 is an excellent motor but unless you get the payload package they put it on the small frame and it will have a low payload. If you order one and get 2.7 payload package you will likely be ok but otherwise I would recommend the 3.5.

Sponsored

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Unless you are at real bad ramp or at no ramp you will be fine with just a locker. A lot of people overbuy 4wd because they are worried. Saves money not having it and gas mileage. I would not get the 2.7 unless you get the 2.7 payload package. Especially if you are going to tow a travel trailer don’t get it. The 2.7 is an excellent motor but unless you get the payload package they put it on the small frame and it will have a low payload. If you order one and get 2.7 payload package you will likely be ok but otherwise I would recommend the 3.5.
You sure it’s not the same frame?

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I’ve lived in NC over 40 years and have driven in all types of weather conditions, sand, mud and plowed fields and I’ve always been able to get by with 2WD as long as I had limited slip or E Lock differential. I’ll admit that when you go to trade in a 2WD they look at you funny and act like they don’t want it. They sold my 2013 Lariat 2 days after I traded it in so it was just an act on their part. Living in Florida it might be easier to find a 2WD but I wouldn’t doubt that you’ll have to order one.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
You sure it’s not the same frame?
There are 3 different frame thicknesses used by the F150

3.3/2.7 : Light Frame
5.0/3.5 : Medium Frame (You can get the 2.7 on this frame also but have to customer order)
HDPP: Heavy Frame

The light frame trucks get a lower GVWR / starting payload point. A well equipped 2.7 on the light frame will have really low payload.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
if you are looking at a Lariat or higher model, I personally would do the 4WD but you could forgo the E-Locker. With a XLT or lower I would probably recommend the E-Locker without 4WD.

This is due to the fact that the Lariat on up has a automatic / all wheel drive option that allows it to be engage 100 percent of the time if you so choose. In the 4A mode the 4WD will engage anytime there is slippage detected (Rain, Hydroplaning, dirt / gravel roads, sand etc).

Also the front wheels will typically be on dryer pavement than the rear wheels at a ramp but most good ramps will not require either system.

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
There are 3 different frame thicknesses used by the F150

3.3/2.7 : Light Frame
5.0/3.5 : Medium Frame (You can get the 2.7 on this frame also but have to customer order)
HDPP: Heavy Frame

The light frame trucks get a lower GVWR / starting payload point. A well equipped 2.7 on the light frame will have really low payload.
Any idea where I can find that frame type information on the Ford website?

Sponsored

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White

Thanks!
I would save the money from the four-wheel drive and put it into the 3.5L Ecoboost with locking dif. That is how I configured my 2018 F150 and I was glad I did in pulling my 24-foot travel trailer. I do like the idea of the all-wheel drive option with the 4x4, but I never missed 4x4 on my current truck (obviously depends on your planned usage) but sure glad I had the extra power with my trailer.

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
So If I get the 2.7 with the payload package I should be good right? And this will give me the medium duty frame? Because of the payload package on the 2.7?
Sponsored