Sponsored

2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel...

VTR_16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco Wildtrak / 2023 Explorer ST Line
Can the trucks be scanned, even though not tuned? Is it possible they are still setup for e85 but have this new filter some are talking about? Seems like Ford would do the least they would need to and certainly not change parts if they didn't have to.
The Gen 2 Coyote I had in a Mustang a few years ago wasn’t flex fuel but Lund tunes it for E85. They won’t do a flex tune but they’ll do straight E85. I had it setup for E85 when I had the Whipple. Fore Innovations fuel system and ID1050X injectors. Ran incredible.
Sponsored

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Picked up my 2024 5.0 this morning and got these pics

IMG_5105.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg
Interesting, here is the fuel door for my '22 with the 5.0 engine, the E85 sticker plainly visible on mine but not yours, now I am really wondering what is different about the engines.
Ford F-150 2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel... thumbnail_IMG_2166
Ford F-150 2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel... thumbnail_IMG_2165

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Did you guys see Jim's post on one of the FB f150 groups? He ordered a 2024 RCSB 5.0 4x4 off the Ford website after building it, like many of us have. He received it the other day, and it is NOT Flex fuel capable. Someone from a dealer searched his VIN for a build sheet and confirmed it is not a FFV. His User Manual specifies 87 or higher, but DO NOT USE E85. I really hope that's not the case on all 2024s.

Does anyone have any additional information on the topic?

How can I look up my build sheet to confirm if my truck will or will not have it?

They advertise E85 compatible when you build the truck....

1709727656677.png
Not sure if this changed in just the last week or so but the build and price for the 2023 with 5.0 clearly states flex fuel capability and for the 2024 it does not.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Scab XLT 2.7EB 2wd
Occupation
Retired
This is a good question. Hey @VTR_16 can you sift through your manual (only if you have time or feel like it of course) and see if there is anything on a particulate filter in the maintenance section. There were rumors the 3.5 Eco and 5.0 might be coming equipped with a GPF but so far those are only rumors. Nothing from Ford but that is a maintenance item and would be called out in the maintenance section of the manual.
I think (?) there’ll won't be any specific maintenance requirements for GPF’s – other than maybe (?) a change to (you guessed it) oil change/type intervals. They’re basically add-ons to the exhaust system. Looked at Ford Europe website (those vehicles already requiring GPF’s), what those Owners Manual’s say about GPF’s are basically the same, whether it’s a Kuga (aka Escape stateside) or a Ford GT (3.5 twin turbo?) – you periodically do passive regen (deceleration or delayed spark timing/leaner AF mixture to increase exhaust temps). From a 2020 Ford GT OM (Kuga, Ecosport, etc. reads the same way):
Ford F-150 2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel... pic1

And the OBD system/instrument panel will “helpfully” remind you that you need to regen:
Ford F-150 2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel... Pic2

If you’re a masochist you can peruse the EPA’s current proposed (and soon to be final) rule on emissions. The 263 page pdf you can find here - Proposed Rule: Multi-Pollutant Emissions Standards for Model Years 2027 and Later Light-Duty and Medium-Duty Vehicles | US EPA . GPF stuff details start on page 81. It’s a big change getting from current Tier 3 standards to the new 0.5 mg/mile one. Lots of mind-bending stuff for ICE geeks.
Ford F-150 2024 5.0 and Flex Fuel... pic3

I think (?) most GPF’s in use now are ceramic types (the ‘do not drop, if so then don’t install it’ type). Will GPF’s in future contain precious metals (like cats)? Dunno. Page 104 of the pdf just mentions a ‘maybe’, wants comments from industry. What will they add to vehicle cost? Dunno but EPA says between $51 for a 1 liter engine and $166 for a 7 liter engine. Wonder what Ford thinks. EPA rule requires OBD monitoring and wants GPF’s classed as a major emission control component (falling under the 8 yr/80,000 mile warranty rules).

If you are a really special kind of masochist you can also peruse the supporting docs/additional resources for the new Rule. The Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis is a 688 page mind-bending fun-with-numbers modeling exercise. Enjoy!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Do the 2024s even have the gas particulate filters? I don’t see Ford spending a penny more on something not required until 2027.

Does the GPF even conflict with E85 use?

This just seems like something Ford is doing to save a few dollars. They have been using the telemetry from everyone’s trucks to see use patterns and no doubt discovered that E85 fuel isn’t that popular. With the Mach-E and Lightning; they don’t need to pretend anymore that they’re saving the environment with a FFV sticker. Now they’re saving the environment with lithium strip mining!

Even though I have never used E85, it’s good to know that I have the option. I remember when gas was over $5 a gallon over ten years ago; which would be equivalent to $20 a gallon today in certain indexes and the E85 was usually half the price. Not to mention when there’s a run on fuel it’s usually still available. Just like ditching their compact cars when fuel is cheap; only to have them unavailable when the prices for gas double, this is just short sighted bean counter behavior.

Just like Ford’s goofy towing figures that they advertise; they need to realize that many buyers are aspirational and cutting features/trims is just more short sighted behavior.
Sponsored