2.5" leveling kit vs 3" lift kit

clbh2p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I recently traded for a '21 Platinum with the FX4 off-road package that has a 2.5" leveling kit installed by the previous owner, however it is not truly level as the front end sits 3/4" lower than the rear which appears to have OEM blocks. I have leveled or lifted all of my previous F150s and those I leveled always looked level so not sure why this truck does not. My question is would a 3" lift kit raise the front end 1/2" higher than the 2 1/2" leveling kit or would it be more or less? Just wondering if installing only the front part of the lift kit would actually make it level. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Something to check, the newer F150's have a larger rear wheel well then previous years.

Get a level, put below the doors on the pinch weld and see how far its off. I was measuring center of wheel to just below fender and I know mine is off, but not as bad as I thought once I was told about the rear wheel opening is much larger than before.
Eibach I believe has a complete coilover for yours that can go from .5 to 3.0".

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I guess the first question would be are you sure the previous owner had the leveling kit set at 2.5"? Since most kits are adjustable they may not have set it at the highest setting. Another thing to consider would be if you were going to go to anything higher than a 2.5" lift, your UCAs will likely be at too extreme of an angle and may interfere with the coilover. I would definitely suggest installing new UCAs if you go higher than 2.5" lift. Lastly, if you wanted to get it closer to level, you could always remove the rear blocks which is a quick and free option.

OP
OP
clbh2p

clbh2p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Something to check, the newer F150's have a larger rear wheel well then previous years.

Get a level, put below the doors on the pinch weld and see how far its off. I was measuring center of wheel to just below fender and I know mine is off, but not as bad as I thought once I was told about the rear wheel opening is much larger than before.
Eibach I believe has a complete coilover for yours that can go from .5 to 3.0".
Thank you I did that and there is definitely still some rake

OP
OP
clbh2p

clbh2p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I guess the first question would be are you sure the previous owner had the leveling kit set at 2.5"? Since most kits are adjustable they may not have set it at the highest setting. Another thing to consider would be if you were going to go to anything higher than a 2.5" lift, your UCAs will likely be at too extreme of an angle and may interfere with the coilover. I would definitely suggest installing new UCAs if you go higher than 2.5" lift. Lastly, if you wanted to get it closer to level, you could always remove the rear blocks which is a quick and free option.
That was my first thought so I bought a Motofab true 2 1/2" leveling kit and when they went to install it they compared it to the one they removed and said they were both 2/12" so I left the old one on for now.

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Does "leveling kit" mean a puck/spacer or a full coilover? Very different things. If the latter, then, yes, you may be able to pull both coilovers off the truck to gain 0.5" by increasing the preload on the spring. Seems like a lot of work and you'll be stiffening the ride even more because you're maxing out the lift (assuming it's a 3" max adjustable coilover). If it's just a puck/spacer, I think they make 3" spacer kits, but the vast majority are 2-2.5".

OP
OP
clbh2p

clbh2p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Does "leveling kit" mean a puck/spacer or a full coilover? Very different things. If the latter, then, yes, you may be able to pull both coilovers off the truck to gain 0.5" by increasing the preload on the spring. Seems like a lot of work and you'll be stiffening the ride even more because you're maxing out the lift (assuming it's a 3" max adjustable coilover). If it's just a puck/spacer, I think they make 3" spacer kits, but the vast majority are 2-2.5".
The leveling kit is just a puck spacer equating to 2 1/2" height increase, so not a coilover. The lift kit I ordered is the rough country 3" lift kit

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
The leveling kit is just a puck spacer equating to 2 1/2" height increase, so not a coilover. The lift kit I ordered is the rough country 3" lift kit
I think it's likely that by installing just the front part of your Rough Country lift kit you'll get another 0.5" of lift, maybe even a little more than that at first because you're installing brand new springs too, which can take some use/time to settle into their advertised lift amount. For the first month or so you may have a slightly squatted truck. Otherwise, I agree with post above that 3"+ of front lift should replace UCAs, which the Rough Country kit does.

Since the RC kit only uses slightly larger rear blocks, keeping the OEM blocks in place is fine. The OEM rear shocks are super soft/under damped, so I'd throw the kit's shocks on while you're at it.

OP
OP
clbh2p

clbh2p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I think it's likely that by installing just the front part of your Rough Country lift kit you'll get another 0.5" of lift, maybe even a little more than at first because you're installing brand new springs too, which can take some use/time to settle into their advertised lift amount. For the first month or so you may have a slightly squatted truck. Otherwise, I agree with post above that 3"+ of front lift should replace UCAs, which the Rough Country kit does.

Since the RC kit only uses slightly larger rear blocks, keeping the OEM blocks in place is fine. The OEM rear shocks are super soft/under damped, so I'd throw the kit's shocks on while you're at it.
Sounds like a plan thanks so much!
Sponsored