Sponsored

Yes....asking about Tonneau cover (another one). But I know what I want, so it should be easier

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I want a hard cover, the 3-part folding style.
I do not want, or prefer not to have one that requires drain tubes.

My daughter's boyfriend has the Extand Solid Fold 2.0 on his 2017 and I like it. It looks solid, he says no water issues whatsoever and the bed does not boil in the summer. It is a very simple and straightforward install.
The only "issue" is - when he closes his tailgate he lifts the edge of the tonneau cover a bit to kind'a "straighten" the rubber seal on the top of the tailgate (manual close).

Since my truck will have power open/close, I do not want to adjust anything every time I close the tailgate.

So I am looking for user's experience with:

Hard cover (manual fold, not power one)
Don't mind if it sits on top of the bed rails, like the Extang one
Preferably no drain hose required
Works freely with the tailgate.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Plattypuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost Rapid red
I want a hard cover, the 3-part folding style.
I do not want, or prefer not to have one that requires drain tubes.

My daughter's boyfriend has the Extand Solid Fold 2.0 on his 2017 and I like it. It looks solid, he says no water issues whatsoever and the bed does not boil in the summer. It is a very simple and straightforward install.
The only "issue" is - when he closes his tailgate he lifts the edge of the tonneau cover a bit to kind'a "straighten" the rubber seal on the top of the tailgate (manual close).

Since my truck will have power open/close, I do not want to adjust anything every time I close the tailgate.

So I am looking for user's experience with:

Hard cover (manual fold, not power one)
Don't mind if it sits on top of the bed rails, like the Extang one
Preferably no drain hose required
Works freely with the tailgate.

Thank you.
I had similar decisions to make. You may wanna take a look at the Leer. I ended up going with the x4s hard roll up instead.

PeanutGallery

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Occupation
Architect
After weeks of research myself, I had pretty much settled on the Leer HF650M if I were to go with a tri/quad-fold cover. I ended up deciding to get the BAK Revolver X4S roll-up cover instead, but the Leer seemed to be a really solid product for the folding type. I was also sensitive to drain tubes, latching/closure, and other similar concerns...

Sponsored

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
I have the Leer HF650m and it is 4 panels instead of 3, but I liked that because it doesn't block the taillight if vertical and having 4 instead of 3 means the sections are smaller and not as heavy (if the kids/wife are folding it). No drain tubs, and has worked with the power tailgate good so far. I've only had it for about 1.5 months. If you decide on this one, I ordered mine from autoaccessoriesgarage.com (chat with them about a discount).

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Have the BAKFlip MX4. It has 3 foldable panels and 1 very small non foldable panel. What I like most about it is the very flush appearance. The tailgate open and closes manually with out issue or having to mess with the MX4. It also drops freely when I click the power open. Since I do not have power up on my tailgate I can not confirm power close works without issue, but I assume it does since my tailgate closes fine manually.

Concerning blockage out the rear window: It is a non issue for me as long as I do not have tall payload higher than the camera. When all the panels are folded and resting on the rear window, the top of the panel is still below the camera on the rear brake light. Pressing the camera button allows me to use the 12" screen as a rear view mirror.

Concerning drain tubes: I think most people install the drain tubes to exit into the forward bottom part of the bed (drill hole through the plastic), which make the drain tubes longer and with that more potential interference with payload. There is another way to install the drain tubes; Cut them very short and insert them in holes near the forward top of the bed on the sides. You can see the drain tube the way it is installed on my truck in the picture below. With the tubes mounted on the top out the sides I have no interference with payload what so ever. You will need to drill the hole that is already there to be a little bigger, but not by much.

Ford F-150 Yes....asking about Tonneau cover (another one). But I know what I want, so it should be easier bakflip mx4

Ford F-150 Yes....asking about Tonneau cover (another one). But I know what I want, so it should be easier BAKFlip MX 4 Drain Tubes

Last edited:

Raicilla

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat SCREW AMB 157" PowerBoost 7.2kW
I have the Leer HF650m and it is 4 panels instead of 3, but I liked that because it doesn't block the taillight if vertical and having 4 instead of 3 means the sections are smaller and not as heavy (if the kids/wife are folding it). No drain tubs, and has worked with the power tailgate good so far. I've only had it for about 1.5 months. If you decide on this one, I ordered mine from autoaccessoriesgarage.com (chat with them about a discount).
Here's a pic (from another thread) showing a "fully-folded-open" photo with the 5.5' bed:
Ford F-150 Yes....asking about Tonneau cover (another one). But I know what I want, so it should be easier img_6468-jpeg-

The brake light (and camera) are still usable (as noted). The "quad-fold" really looks like the way-to-go.

Does anybody have a similar photo of the Leer HF650m on the 6.5' bed? Specifically, how much "taller" are the fully-folded panels? Is the cyclops still visible and is the bed camera still useable?

Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance: :D {this forum is so helpful!}
Sponsored