First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Xpel PRIME XR Plus Automotive Window Film on Knickell's Ford F-150 Review:
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860046625

When I purchased my Ford F-150 in early April, Florida had about two cool evenings left for the remainder of the year. The rest of this year is proving to be atrocious, boiling, steaming, scolding hot. And that’s with one of our cooler days where its only 90 degrees....

My F-150 Lariat came from the factory with "privacy glass" on the rear windows and rear windshield. However, the front windows and front windshield were bare glass.

Coming out to the truck after baking all day in an effort to cool it off was an exercise in futility. Even with me remote starting it beforehand.

The leather seats were far too hot to sit on, and it pained me to imagine what the heat and UV rays were doing to the interior’s leather on the dash, steering wheel, and seats. I resorted to putting a towel over the dash while parked to offer some semblance of protection from the annihilating sunshine.
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860647902

(Just another balmy 100+ degree day....)

On these Florida summer days, the interior of a vehicle can reach over 140 degrees even with tinted windows. I had to do something for my own comfort and well-being, and more importantly, my truck’s well-being!!

During the many months I was waiting on my F-150 to be built and delivered, I researched everything from spray in bed liners, paint protective film, ceramic coatings, and of course, window tint.

Apparently, ceramic style window film/tint has gained quite a following within the years since I last purchased a vehicle. During my last vehicle purchase many years ago, if you wanted your car cooler and more private, you got a darker layer of tint at the expense of losing some nighttime visibility.

As I researched this ceramic tint further, I came across Xpel PRIME XR Plus ceramic window film. Xpel, the same company that produces the popular paint protective films, also makes window tint for vehicles.

Xpel markets their PRIME XR Plus line as their top tier stuff and it’s listed as offering:
  • "Multi-layer Nano Particle Construction”
  • Up to 98% infrared heat rejection
  • Rejection against the sun’s ultraviolet rays
  • Zero interference with computer, cellular telephones, GPS, and other electronic devices
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860123670

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860094489

One of the biggest pros to this style of ceramic tint is that a nearly clear 70% layer will offer the same amount of heat and UV rejection as darker layers, thus allowing the owner more flexibility in the style and look they want for their vehicle.

So I made the decision that I wanted the Xpel PRIME XR Plus tint on my F-150. As with everything else these days (gasoline, wood, toilet paper, rubber, microchips, spray-in bedliner material, F-150s……..) there appeared to be a short supply of tint, and reputable installers in my area.

On May 5th, I made an appointment to have my truck done, and I couldn’t get penciled in until May 25th. I wasn’t sure if I could deal with another twenty days, nearly three weeks of the Florida sun battering my poor interior! I requested to be put on a wait/cancellation list to be notified if someone else canceled their appointment. I was elated when I received a phone call about an hour later asking if I could come in the later that afternoon to have the tint installed! Needless to say I used the Boost part of my EcoBoost engine to hustle to the installer so it could be done.

I opted for a double layer on all windows including the windshield. I also have the dual-panel moonroof on my truck, but left it stock after reading it wasn’t necessarily designed to have aftermarket tint applied to it. Plus, when the mood strikes me to use it, I want it to let some light into the cabin, as that is one of the sun/moonroof’s primary purposes.

An interesting note, per the installer, the “privacy glass”/tint that some trucks come with from the factory does not offer any heat or UV protection, so it is recommended to have those windows tinted as well if you are going to frequently have passengers in the rear row seating.

I know its highly based off preference, but I wanted something dark, but not too dark. As pretentious as that might sound, I made the mistake of going way too light on the last vehicle I tinted the windows on, and did not take into account that it’s beige interior would also make it seem inherently lighter on the inside. This time around, I would have preferred it to be a tad too dark than deal with it being too light again. I do have the black and chocolatey brown interior of my Lariat Sport package to help darken it up as well.

I settled on a dual layer of 70% tint on the windshield and a dual layer of 15% all the way around the windows and rear windshield.

After about three hours, the installer turned my truck back over to me to take home.

The dark tint on the windows looked amazing and helped with giving it a better overall curb appeal in my opinion.

When I stepped inside, the truck was still very warm. There is no getting around that with the relentless heat and sunshine. However, the interior was drastically cooler than before and I could actually sit in the driver’s seat without risking minor burns!

After driving the truck around for a few days, I certainly appreciate the extra privacy the tint affords. I definitely don’t like people being able to look in at me or my vehicle while driving around in traffic, or while its sitting in a parking lot.

While its not entirely scientific, I can say I’ve noticed a significant difference in the temperature of the interior of the truck when first getting into it after being in the sun all day. If I had an actual thermometer to measure, I wouldn’t be surprised if the interior wasn’t twenty if not forty degrees cooler than it was before with no tint. The air conditioning also seems to have an easier job of displacing all of that horrendous heat and keeping the truck cool once I get it to a comfortable temperature.

I haven’t done too much driving at night yet, but the little I have done, the darkness of the 15% tint is not an issue at all. Visibility is still pretty good, and I have not had any issues with seeing traffic or other obstructions.

Also take into consideration if your truck has auto-dimming side view and rear view mirrors when selecting your shade of tint as it may be even darker. I could maybe have gone a little darker still for my preference, but I think the overall shade it just about perfect.

Here is what my truck looked like before having the Xpel PRIME XR Plus film installed:
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 3FCDF9B4-E3C4-4F22-8C1B-23D31D016B88

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860329156

You can see the "privacy glass" and just how easy it is to see into the truck.

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860584391

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 1620860994894

Looking out of the truck before tinting.

The big day! At the tint shop just before it was installed! The final moments of scorched leather, deteriorating fabrics, and faded plastics!!
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? FB530EA6-F7A2-4615-A501-7C355AF3FD96

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 7F320A25-A7D0-4260-84B6-67D3D8EE8BC1

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? C3FE44DB-48CF-4B8D-A773-5258BC5C15BC

A double layer of the Xpel PRIME XR Plus film all the way around! 70% on the windshield, 15% on every other window! Looks sharp if I do say so!
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 91A9D057-29CD-4E97-8DAE-4656CAC7EB46

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 3FB80C18-58BA-4EE3-AC27-D7212ADBA7FA

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 6458257D-D220-45AE-B2C5-4787EE9BCBA8

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? AFF00623-ADD1-42E9-A712-CFF7EF3F1BE6

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? C0FE9ED5-7F48-44ED-8D88-DF2419B73797

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 97B34CA2-7B92-46E5-9453-2614CF172276

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 71B0008A-6F34-4C87-BF3A-223BA550EE9C

Looking out of the truck from the driver's seat on another hot sunny day!
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? B7ECD53E-5F0E-45F2-9EF6-DF17C2A723F7

A view out the driver's side front window
Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? ABA76F4E-6146-4287-8DB4-49071B17CFEA

The installer recommended three to five days of not using the windows or rolling them down from the day it was installed. I also am going to have a top strip (AS1) line of the 15% applied to the windshield as well. The installer did not recommend doing that same day since the base layer would need time to settle and cure properly, so I’ll have to go back in for a quick appointment in a couple of days.

The Xpel line of window film also comes with a lifetime warranty.

In general, I can say I am pleasantly satisfied with the Xpel PRIME XR Plus tint on my 2021 Ford F-150! I recommend it to any of you guys who are considering adding tint to your truck!
Sponsored

Last edited:

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
That looks slick as hell! Up here in MN that’s not needed. It definitely I would think in places like Florida and Texas it’s probably one of the best things you could do for your truck! Great write up per usual!

Sponsored

bryantbus

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
95 Mustang Cobra, 16 Flex Lmt, 17 Taurus Lmt
Thanks for the write up @Knickell. I was looking at this same film as we are in TX. Didn’t think about doubling the film, although we do have a law on tint level and also have inspections we have to get each year.

Did they state that the double would actually help?

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That would get me pulled over and a ticket where I live, thankfully we don't get extreme heat very often

Jdela010

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Powerboost
How much did the tint and installation cost?

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That looks slick as hell! Up here in MN that’s not needed. It definitely I would think in places like Florida and Texas it’s probably one of the best things you could do for your truck! Great write up per usual!
Thank you! I’m liking it so far. Its subtle, but I think it makes the truck look a little more aggressive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That would get me pulled over and a ticket where I live, thankfully we don't get extreme heat very often
Tint is still a good reason for a cop stop in Florida, but it’s discretionary. Thankfully, most in my area realize it’s hot as ⚽??⚾? out and don’t make too much of a big deal out of it.

I consider mine pretty light compared to many other cars around here running 5%.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I had the windshield and front doors done in my truck, and I have noticed it is a bit cooler after sitting in the sun all day.
I left mine sitting in the driveway facing south for 7-days to make sure everything was dried before I operated the windows.
I will get the rear doors and back window done in the near future, but still deciding if I want to go darker or not.
Maybe just a bit darker, but not sure.
I am sure that that tinting will reflect a lot of heat and enhance my AC operation when I do turn that on.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the write up @Knickell. I was looking at this same film as we are in TX. Didn’t think about doubling the film, although we do have a law on tint level and also have inspections we have to get each year.

Did they state that the double would actually help?
Dang, the yearly inspections would get me too. That sucks. We can still get a ticket in Florida, but we don’t have to be subjected to annual inspections, thankfully.

If you read up on double layer tint online, it’s pretty much like anything else (catch can debate, which oils to use, etc.). Pretty much split right down the middle as to if it’s worth it or not.

Personally for me, I’d recommend it.

I started off small by having just the windshield on my wife’s vehicle tinted dual layer before going full bore. It worked very well. That’s why when it came time to have my F-150 done, I didn’t have any issues asking to have it done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How much did the tint and installation cost?
I’ll level with ya. It wasn’t cheap.

Itemized:

Single layer windshield - $150
Dual layer windshield - $250
Front windows, single layer - $200
All side windows, single layer - $400

Full ride, double layer windshield, side windows and rear windshield - $800

If you shop around, you may be able to find it cheaper, but I was satisfied with the work this place has done for me previously and plan on having them do the paint protective film and the ceramic coat in the future. They are a certified Xpel, Kavaca, and CeramicPro installer.
Sponsored