Sponsored

bryantbus

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
95 Mustang Cobra, 16 Flex Lmt, 17 Taurus Lmt
Dang, the yearly inspections would get me too. That sucks. We can still get a ticket in Florida, but we don’t have to be subjected to annual inspections, thankfully.

If you read up on double layer tint online, it’s pretty much like anything else (catch can debate, which oils to use, etc.). Pretty much split right down the middle as to if it’s worth it or not.

Personally for me, I’d recommend it.

I started off small by having just the windshield on my wife’s vehicle tinted dual layer before going full bore. It worked very well. That’s why when it came time to have my F-150 done, I didn’t have any issues asking to have it done.
They even changed it here where you have to do inspection first before you can gets tags. Before it was separate, but not anymore.

When you doubled the backs, did you double the 15% or do a 15% and then 70%? Seems a double 15% would bring it down a lot?
Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Dang, the yearly inspections would get me too. That sucks. We can still get a ticket in Florida, but we don’t have to be subjected to annual inspections, thankfully.

If you read up on double layer tint online, it’s pretty much like anything else (catch can debate, which oils to use, etc.). Pretty much split right down the middle as to if it’s worth it or not.

Personally for me, I’d recommend it.

I started off small by having just the windshield on my wife’s vehicle tinted dual layer before going full bore. It worked very well. That’s why when it came time to have my F-150 done, I didn’t have any issues asking to have it done.
What are the pros of a double layer? better UV protection? does it make it darker? is it 2x harder to see out at night?

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I’ll level with ya. It wasn’t cheap.

Itemized:

Single layer windshield - $150
Dual layer windshield - $250
Front windows, single layer - $200
All side windows, single layer - $400

Full ride, double layer windshield, side windows and rear windshield - $800

If you shop around, you may be able to find it cheaper, but I was satisfied with the work this place has done for me previously and plan on having them do the paint protective film and the ceramic coat in the future. They are a certified Xpel, Kavaca, and CeramicPro installer.
Curious why the dual layers? Could you not get similar results with less VLT single layers?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I'm in South Florida - curious where you had this done - I'm interested in tinting plus Xpel protection

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
They even changed it here where you have to do inspection first before you can gets tags. Before it was separate, but not anymore.

When you doubled the backs, did you double the 15% or do a 15% and then 70%? Seems a double 15% would bring it down a lot?
I told them I wanted it to match all the way around and they made it happen. Not entirely sure the combo they used.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are the pros of a double layer? better UV protection? does it make it darker? is it 2x harder to see out at night?
Better heat and UV rejection. It will not make it darker unless you want a darker shade for your preference. The 70% (nearly clear) film should offer the same rejection as darker shades.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Curious why the dual layers? Could you not get similar results with less VLT single layers?
Don’t quote me on this, but I don’t believe so. With ceramic tint going darker for less light transmission doesn’t necessarily mean less heat if I understand the technology correctly.

Last edited:

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
“Quality“ tint cost and $800.00 is a good price.
I have a preference for Huper Optik Nano Ceramic and I spent. $750.00 for my 2016 F150

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“Quality“ tint cost and $800.00 is a good price.
I have a preference for Huper Optik Nano Ceramic and I spent. $750.00 for my 2016 F150
Good to know. I’ve heard good things about Huper Optik as well.

Sponsored

ToddnTX

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Dodge Durango, 07 GMC Sierra. 2021 Ford F-150
Your truck looks awesome with the dark tint.

I went with the Llumar ceramic tinting for the first time, and so far I’m glad I did. It was about $660 for all windows including sunroof and windshield..

70% tint on windshield, sunroof, and rear windows to color match the front 25% tint...

one thing I’ve noticed is I’m not needing sunglasses as much as I used to. The 70% tint makes a difference up front!

Ford F-150 Xpel PRIME XR Plus - F-150 Review ☀️?? 6F8C67A4-AB4A-4374-84BA-5C7E7E77BF3C

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your truck looks awesome with the dark tint.

I went with the Llumar ceramic tinting for the first time, and so far I’m glad I did. It was about $660 for all windows including sunroof and windshield..

70% tint on windshield, sunroof, and rear windows to color match the front 25% tint...

one thing I’ve noticed is I’m not needing sunglasses as much as I used to. The 70% tint makes a difference up front!

6F8C67A4-AB4A-4374-84BA-5C7E7E77BF3C.jpeg
Thank you! Yours looks pretty nice itself!

Llumar is a pretty big name in tint. Don’t doubt they have good stuff.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I’m in north Orlando. I had Xpel XR Prime Plus 70% to installed on the Windshield and whatever Florida legal is installed on the driver and passenger fronts. It is definitely noticeably cooler inside the truck. I can’t even tell the windshield has anything on it. I’m sure it would be even more cool had I covered the rest of the windows. It’s funny to roll the drivers side down in direct sunlight and feel the heat on my arm and side of my face and roll it up and not feel any heat. The stuff works, don’t have doubts, just spend the money.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
I’ll level with ya. It wasn’t cheap.

Itemized:

Single layer windshield - $150
Dual layer windshield - $250
Front windows, single layer - $200
All side windows, single layer - $400

Full ride, double layer windshield, side windows and rear windshield - $800

If you shop around, you may be able to find it cheaper, but I was satisfied with the work this place has done for me previously and plan on having them do the paint protective film and the ceramic coat in the future. They are a certified Xpel, Kavaca, and CeramicPro installer.
I second this. I got the same on my truck and every other cars I've had makes a huge difference. 70% on windshield, barely noticeable and 20% everywhere else. Not cheap either! But I hate wearing sun glasses and too lazy for those sunshields.

Missouri has a 35% tint max on the front but I haven't been ticketed for tint in 15 years. We also have inspections but no one cares about the tint....

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Hey I got the same tint done! I did 20% but held off on the windshield as I want to see if my ticket gets called for that recall. Hoping to get it done soon!
Sponsored