Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Hey I got the same tint done! I did 20% but held off on the windshield as I want to see if my ticket gets called for that recall. Hoping to get it done soon!
Bummer that I heard about the recall the day I got the windshield done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I second this. I got the same on my truck and every other cars I've had makes a huge difference. 70% on windshield, barely noticeable and 20% everywhere else. Not cheap either! But I hate wearing sun glasses and too lazy for those sunshields.

Missouri has a 35% tint max on the front but I haven't been ticketed for tint in 15 years. We also have inspections but no one cares about the tint....

Good to hear! My rig’s home state!!

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
Sorry to necromance this thread, but I made an appointment to have XPEL Prime XR Plus installed on Friday. I just drove 1800 miles from Chicago to Phoenix. My truck made it a breeze, but it got toasty, and I’m not digging the UV skin damage. I’m planning to get 70% on the windscreen, and 50% (legal limit in IL) on the front sides. I was quoted $550.

For those that have this film, are you still loving it?

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry to necromance this thread, but I made an appointment to have XPEL Prime XR Plus installed on Friday. I just drove 1800 miles from Chicago to Phoenix. My truck made it a breeze, but it got toasty, and I’m not digging the UV skin damage. I’m planning to get 70% on the windscreen, and 50% (legal limit in IL) on the front sides. I was quoted $550.

For those that have this film, are you still loving it?
I'm still very happy with it. I was thinking I wanted darker at first, but glad I didn't because it is plenty dark enough inside during nighttime driving. Holding up well with no issues!

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm still very happy with it. I was thinking I wanted darker at first, but glad I didn't because it is plenty dark enough inside during nighttime driving. Holding up well with no issues!
I ended up getting the 35% on the front sides, and 80% on the windscreen. It really cuts the heat down, and no issues with visibility on the sides at night. Now that it has cured, there is a slight bit of wavInness on the windscreen, but only if I try to look for it by moving my head up and down a lot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ended up getting the 35% on the front sides, and 80% on the windscreen. It really cuts the heat down, and no issues with visibility on the sides at night. Now that it has cured, there is a slight bit of wavInness on the windscreen, but only if I try to look for it by moving my head up and down a lot.
Yeah the heat rejection is great! My understanding is the XPEL rejects the same amount of heat whether you get the 80% or the 5% because of the “ceramic structure” of the film.

Glad you like (most of) it. I wonder what is causing that waviness? Did you get a dual layer?

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah the heat rejection is great! My understanding is the XPEL rejects the same amount of heat whether you get the 80% or the 5% because of the “ceramic structure” of the film.

Glad you like (most of) it. I wonder what is causing that waviness? Did you get a dual layer?
They told me that once you get down below 20% VLT, it rejects more heat. Maybe the waviness is because it wasn’t fully taut after installation? Hard to say. It was more wavy right after installation before it finished curing.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I had the same thing done at Exotic Solutions in Delray Beach, $600 without the windshield, everything else the same. Really necessary for a vehicle that spends much time in Florida, even garaged most of the time.

Last edited:

JohnnyBoy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
'22 F150 501 Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
chef
I spend 10-11 months a year in AZ, so would like to get this film (once the truck arrives). But I spend a month or two travelling around the country. Does anyone know of a legal 'safe' tint level (windshield and sides) so I don't have to worry about getting a ticket in another state? I e-mailed XPEL but they didn't know.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I spend 10-11 months a year in AZ, so would like to get this film (once the truck arrives). But I spend a month or two travelling around the country. Does anyone know of a legal 'safe' tint level (windshield and sides) so I don't have to worry about getting a ticket in another state? I e-mailed XPEL but they didn't know.
Don't worry about it. I've been running tints for thirty years, have been to all 49 continental states, never an issue. Stay away from the windshield. They will not ticket you out of state because you must only 'comply' with home state laws with respect to equipment in most locales.

Sponsored

JohnnyBoy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
'22 F150 501 Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
chef
Don't worry about it. I've been running tints for thirty years, have been to all 49 continental states, never an issue. Stay away from the windshield. They will not ticket you out of state because you must only 'comply' with home state laws with respect to equipment in most locales.
thx

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the same thing done at Exotic Solutions in Delray Beach, $600 without the windshield, everything else the same. Really necessary for a vehicle that spends much time in Florida, even garaged most of the time.
Agreed! That is about the going rate.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Thanks @Knickell for the rec... I'm scheduled for XPEL tomorrow afternoon !!!! :)

I got quoted $600 for windshield, both doors, and rear glass in JAX for their XR. I'm thinking 20% for front doors and 70% on the other four. I didn't ask how much more for Plus, but I will tomorrow when I run over there to finalize choices and get installed.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I did the Xpel XR 70 black (ceramic but not super ceramic) all around including windshield. Not super dark - only slightly noticeable from looking at it.

However, it has 88-89% heat rejection which is very noticeable (https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL_PRIME.Spec_.Sheet_.USA_V1.7.pdf) and was only $480 out the door.

Very happy, even though my tint shop scratched the windshield the first and second time they redid it for free. Just going to ignore and live with it.

I love that my AC never has to run hard now.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks @Knickell for the rec... I'm scheduled for XPEL tomorrow afternoon !!!! :)

I got quoted $600 for windshield, both doors, and rear glass in JAX for their XR. I'm thinking 20% for front doors and 70% on the other four. I didn't ask how much more for Plus, but I will tomorrow when I run over there to finalize choices and get installed.
Just saw this today. Hope it went well!
Sponsored