First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Super disappointed but not hate. And I am currently waiting for my second F150 and I’m on this site almost everyday for all kinds of useful information and to see some nice pictures that people share here but everyday there’s always some wild stories about problems that shouldn’t be happening in brand new trucks. There used to be mostly people talking about waiting and what they wanted to do with their trucks and discussing parts and ideas but now that more people are getting their trucks, you’re starting to see all kinds of problems that they’re encountering. I feel terrible for these folks because as I’ve said before everyone I’ve encountered on this site seem like great people and it’s sad to see their anticipation turn into disappointment and frustration.
I have read some post of a few issues and a few serious ones, new truck owners are experiencing. That is sorta one of the benefits of such a forum, post issues and share the solutions either Ford or yourself have found.

This may give a false illusion to some that everyone is having issues and all are disappointed in their new vehicle, when this is actually furthest from the truth.

Most were on this site when tracking and getting information, don't come back unless they are checking about a problem small or large that they have encountered. The rest are just out driving and enjoying their trucks.

All manufactures will have issues, recalls, updates and such, some more than others.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Sponsored

SpartanDS

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4, Space White
Just gave my XLT 302A FX4 its first bath (115 miles) and noticed a little condensation in the front right headlight. It was gone after 20-30 minutes in the sun. Truck is going back to the dealership for Linex and Leather next week and I plan on bringing this up.

I will let you know all know how it goes.

OP
OP

defran02

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 4X4 Sport 302a, 2020 Honda Pilot
Good to hear. Are you getting Linex through a dealer? I need to get it done for mine but didnt know if the dealerships had a partnership or discount for Linex.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Just gave my XLT 302A FX4 its first bath (115 miles) and noticed a little condensation in the front right headlight. It was gone after 20-30 minutes in the sun. Truck is going back to the dealership for Linex and Leather next week and I plan on bringing this up.

I will let you know all know how it goes.
According to the manual, small amounts of condensation are normal, and will disappear after a while. ?

SpartanDS

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4, Space White
Good to hear. Are you getting Linex through a dealer? I need to get it done for mine but didnt know if the dealerships had a partnership or discount for Linex.

Yes I got it through the dealership I bought the truck from. It was around $450 through the dealership and $550 alone at Linex.

Sponsored

Mrboom_5.0

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Lightning, 18 TT 5.0 platinum, 21 rcsb 5.0
Occupation
Real estate / Automotive customization
It’s a leak. Trust me, I have personally disassembled many headlamps in my day for my job, including the current F-150 LED projection lamp. These things are 100% sealed as tight as a snare drum.

No... they aren't lmao.

They have 3 vents on the back of the housings.. all 3 trim levels.

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
No... they aren't lmao.

They have 3 vents on the back of the housings.. all 3 trim levels.
I know those units are vented, but I don’t see why they need to be.

Back in the old days of tungsten and later halogen lamps, heat was a major issue to be addressed in the design. Ie the vents and the need to change out a burned out bulb.

Now with LED units the heat isn’t nearly the issue it was, I don’t see why they couldn’t make the housing a single piece construction, purged with Argon and factory sealed (like the windows in your house.)

LED’s should outlast the service life of the vehicle, so the ability to replace the “bulb” should not be a big deal.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Now with LED units the heat isn’t nearly the issue it was, I don’t see why they couldn’t make the housing a single piece construction, purged with Argon and factory sealed (like the windows in your house.)
High power LED lights still give off a lot of heat. Maybe not like halogen or HID bulbs, but they still well get hot.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
High power LED lights still give off a lot of heat. Maybe not like halogen or HID bulbs, but they still well get hot.
The F-150 ADB lamp has active cooling. Some type of thermal management is definitely needed for LED forward lighting applications.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
LEDs DO generate a lot of heat. As soon as I read the OP, knew this to be normal, confirmed later with the owner manual posts. But the scathing anti-Ford reactions are really telling. Folks, RTFM. All modern LED headlights have this feature. My Tesla has this. My BMW motorcycles have this. My Yamaha ATVs have this. My wife’s Porsche has this. It IS NOT AN ISSUE OR A CONCERN. It is a requirement of modern electronic headlight systems. Sheesh.

Last edited:

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just following up since I was the OP. The condensation went away as expected.
I made an erroneous comment in a previous post about the headlamp unit being sealed. I was justly corrected by another member. I’ll take my lumps over that one. Embarrassing for me being that I work in the LED automotive lighting business. Not in the design of the headlamp assemblies, but just the light sources and supporting electronics.

That being said, the photo below is a current F-150 ADB HL unit that I have at work that I was benchmarking. The circled areas are the vents on the backside of the unit.

Ford F-150 XLT 302a Condensation in Front HeadLights 1621892316889

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
I made an erroneous comment in a previous post about the headlamp unit being sealed. I was justly corrected by another member. I’ll take my lumps over that one. Embarrassing for me being that I work in the LED automotive lighting business. Not in the design of the headlamp assemblies, but just the light sources and supporting electronics.

That being said, the photo below is a current F-150 ADB HL unit that I have at work that I was benchmarking. The circled areas are the vents on the backside of the unit.

1621892316889.jpeg
I am sure hoping to avoid hitting anything that would damage my headlights as that looks like a single unit replacement that isn’t cheap. Had a leak in a 2012 Maxima headlight that cost $1200 and I really don’t think I want to know what this will cost if damaged. I’m guessing over $2k.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am sure hoping to avoid hitting anything that would damage my headlights as that looks like a single unit replacement that isn’t cheap. Had a leak in a 2012 Maxima headlight that cost $1200 and I really don’t think I want to know what this will cost if damaged. I’m guessing over $2k.
The ADB lamp is certainly going to be a very costly replacement part. Active cooling, servo motors…..quite complex on the inside.
Sponsored