XLT 302a Condensation in Front HeadLights

defran02

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 4X4 Sport 302a, 2020 Honda Pilot
Just crossed 1,000 miles. We did about 6 hours of driving today. Noticed condensation in the front light lenses. Will this burn off? Anyone else have this? It's weird that it is on both. About 39 degrees outside.

Ford F-150 XLT 302a Condensation in Front HeadLights PXL_20210207_041556895

Ford F-150 XLT 302a Condensation in Front HeadLights PXL_20210207_041542103
Sponsored

EOhana13

First Name
Eden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan murano
Out of the 5 or so trucks that I've seen in person 3 of them had this issue. 2 being lariats with the projector lights and the other being a 302a. The quality control at ford seems to be lacking a bit, ill blame this on being a first year model issue. that was another contributing factor to me leasing my truck. Any problems I have becomes someone else's problem lol

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Just crossed 1,000 miles. We did about 6 hours of driving today. Noticed condensation in the front light lenses. Will this burn off? Anyone else have this? It's weird that it is on both. About 39 degrees outside.

PXL_20210207_041556895.jpg

PXL_20210207_041542103.jpg
Don’t think this is normal. Any condensation build up suggests a leak in the housing.

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Following for more updates. This is concerning for a brand new truck to have faulty seals...

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Following for more updates. This is concerning for a brand new truck to have faulty seals...
It’s more than concerning. It’s ridiculous. You took the time to create a power system with enough juice to run a small house(which doesn’t even work) and fold down seats(which would only be useful to people that sleep in their vehicles, which is mostly NOT people that can afford vehicles over $60k) but you can’t even deliver a product with properly sealed headlights???
I know this is a F150 based site by why is everyone ignoring the fact that this company doesn’t care about any of you loyal customers and is repeatedly finding ways to disappoint you.

Sponsored

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
It’s more than concerning. It’s ridiculous. You took the time to create a power system with enough juice to run a small house(which doesn’t even work) and fold down seats(which would only be useful to people that sleep in their vehicles, which is mostly NOT people that can afford vehicles over $60k) but you can’t even deliver a product with properly sealed headlights???
I know this is a F150 based site by why is everyone ignoring the fact that this company doesn’t care about any of you loyal customers and is repeatedly finding ways to disappoint you.
This will be my first Ford product that I purchase and I’ve owned GM, Dodge, Honda and Toyota products. Such a primary element to fail is troublesome because I cannot picture the more advanced components. I certainly do hope it’s human installer error and not design / manufacture error as it would be easier to correct at dealer level.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Unless those assemblies are sealed up with a vacuum, there will be condensation.
It is going to more noticeable on the LED lighting than the Halogen.
If you were to take one of those assemblies out and have a look, you will find a vent.
The higher operating temps of the halogens will help to burn this off and warm all components in the assembly. LED is just not gonna warm anything up.

Also--there is a statement about this in the owners manual

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
It’s a leak. Trust me, I have personally disassembled many headlamps in my day for my job, including the current F-150 LED projection lamp. These things are 100% sealed as tight as a snare drum.

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
You hate Ford and aren’t buying this year’s model. So why exactly are you here again? Seems the answer is to spead your whine and cheese in every post.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
From the Owner's Manual:

Why is there condensation in the headlamps?
Headlamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure. Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.

How much condensation is acceptable?
The presence of a fine mist, for example no streaks, drip marks or large droplets. A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

How long may it take for the acceptable condensation to be cleared?
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

How much condensation is unacceptable?
A water puddle inside the lamp. Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.

What should I do if unacceptable condensation is present?
Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

Sponsored

OP
OP

defran02

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From the Owner's Manual:

Why is there condensation in the headlamps?
Headlamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure. Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.

How much condensation is acceptable?
The presence of a fine mist, for example no streaks, drip marks or large droplets. A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

How long may it take for the acceptable condensation to be cleared?
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

How much condensation is unacceptable?
A water puddle inside the lamp. Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.

What should I do if unacceptable condensation is present?
Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False
I didn't even think to check the manual. Thank you for posting that. There's no droplets or puddles, so I will wait before doing anything.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
You hate Ford and aren’t buying this year’s model. So why exactly are you here again? Seems the answer is to spead your whine and cheese in every post.
Super disappointed but not hate. And I am currently waiting for my second F150 and I’m on this site almost everyday for all kinds of useful information and to see some nice pictures that people share here but everyday there’s always some wild stories about problems that shouldn’t be happening in brand new trucks. There used to be mostly people talking about waiting and what they wanted to do with their trucks and discussing parts and ideas but now that more people are getting their trucks, you’re starting to see all kinds of problems that they’re encountering. I feel terrible for these folks because as I’ve said before everyone I’ve encountered on this site seem like great people and it’s sad to see their anticipation turn into disappointment and frustration.

OP
OP

defran02

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is a pretty intense response. Further down it appears that this might be expected, and is covered in the manual.
This is the second post that I have put up with the question about my new truck. And in both cases I jumped to conclusions thinking that there was a problem when in reality there isn't, or if there is it's not caused by Ford.

But I'm sorry for whatever beef you have with them.

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Okay. So from the manual, this is expected? If so, I hope it doesn’t short prematurely electrical components.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
This happened to me in the first 100 mile drive from the dealership. I made a post and found the owners manual explanation. By the next morning it was gone. I have the LEDs and they don't produce enough heat to burn off the condensation compared to other types of bulbs.

I will only be concerned if condensation pools or large streaks as stated in the manual.
Sponsored