Sponsored

X4S vs X15

Happy1286

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 (eventually)
Hey y'all, I keep switching back and forth between the Bak X4S and the Truxedo Pro X15. Here is where I'm at:
X4S: I like the look and ease of use. I'm not concerned about the space it takes upfront as good the few times i need that extra space, I'll take it off. I am a little concerned because I've seen some videos of Friday making it be impossible to use because it's frozen. I live in Kansas, and there's absolutely no way to predict the weather. It's also more expensive and heavier.
ProX15:I like the look when tension is correct, the spqce it gives up front, price, and ease of use. I'm concerned about water/snow pooling and I've seen some issues keeping the tension up when weather changes frequently(see above that I live in Kansas).

So, what do y'all think? Help me out, my trucks being built mid September!
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
This past winter, my X4S froze shut once. We got rain the day prior and a deep freeze (teens/twenties) just after it went through. The rails had water in them that didn't dry out and it froze shut. I parked it in the sun, a couple hours later I easily opened it and dried off the rails. Now, if I know I'm going to use it and it may be cold like that again, I'll roll it up and check the rails the day before to dry them off. Otherwise, I haven't had issues with my cover.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hey y'all, I keep switching back and forth between the Bak X4S and the Truxedo Pro X15. Here is where I'm at:
X4S: I like the look and ease of use. I'm not concerned about the space it takes upfront as good the few times i need that extra space, I'll take it off. I am a little concerned because I've seen some videos of Friday making it be impossible to use because it's frozen. I live in Kansas, and there's absolutely no way to predict the weather. It's also more expensive and heavier.
ProX15:I like the look when tension is correct, the spqce it gives up front, price, and ease of use. I'm concerned about water/snow pooling and I've seen some issues keeping the tension up when weather changes frequently(see above that I live in Kansas).

So, what do y'all think? Help me out, my trucks being built mid September!
I live in NE ohio. Never had issues in winter with any cover using that canvas like material. Does not stretch and pool like the vinyl tops do.
I would go with the Truxedo Pro.

Last edited:

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Does the x15 require one to unhook it before shutting the tailgate? Or any other considerations with the power tailgate?

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
I can’t speak on the x4s.
I have an x15. I do also adjust tension in spring/fall. The X15 also needs to be unlatched in order to close the tailgate.
Overall I would recommend the cover.

Please disregard my truck in ugly stock form.
Ford F-150 X4S vs X15 252755DC-92A8-4B5D-BC18-E5F4FABECDCC

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I have an X4S on my truck, and an older X4 on my wifes truck (since 2017). At home I don't have frequent freezing rain, but I have traveled frequently with both vehicles to colder places that do. I have never had either freeze shut to the point of not opening. They handle snow and rain build up well, with no sagging. the rails do drain, so unless the freeze happened during heavy rain, freezing closed should be rare.

On my truck the tailgate can be opened / closed without unlatching the cover, but my wifes ram has to be unlatched before closing the tailgate, because the plastic on the tailgate and bed rails is slightly warped and alignment is not as good

OP
OP

Happy1286

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 (eventually)
I can’t speak on the x4s.
I have an x15. I do also adjust tension in spring/fall. The X15 also needs to be unlatched in order to close the tailgate.
Overall I would recommend the cover.

Please disregard my truck in ugly stock form.
252755DC-92A8-4B5D-BC18-E5F4FABECDCC.jpeg
Well that solved it. I don't want to unhitch my bed cover to put back up the tailgate. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP

Happy1286

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 (eventually)
Wait, I'm reading that you can auto up/down with cover installed. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what process are y'all seeing? I'm looking at 425+tax.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Wait, I'm reading that you can auto up/down with cover installed. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what process are y'all seeing? I'm looking at 425+tax.
I don't have first hand knowledge, but I was of the understanding that you can open/close with the cover installed; however you won't get a proper seal if shutting the tailgate with the cover down. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

425+ tax is about as low as I saw when searching. I contacted a few forum vendors and I recall being in that ballpark.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Never had to open cover to open/close the tailgate.
Not sure where this is coming from.

Sponsored

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
X15pro here. Tailgate opens and closes fine with cover latched. Very satisfied with this cover.

Also check the TruckHero rebate site https://truckherorebates.com/Home.aspx they run these quite often. They had a $60 rebate in June on the x15 pro which is on top of whatever deal you can get from forum sponsors.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Happy1286

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 (eventually)
X15pro here. Tailgate opens and closes fine with cover latched. Very satisfied with this cover.

Also check the TruckHero rebate site https://truckherorebates.com/Home.aspx they run these quite often. They had a $60 rebate in June on the x15 pro which is on top of whatever deal you can get from forum sponsors.
Thanks for this info! I guess I will give the x15 a try!
Sponsored