First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I have no intention to allow the fragile and/or immature state of OTA to determine whether my truck is updated or not.
But more importantly to me personally, even if OTA worked PERFECTLY and none of these threads existed, there are updates that Ford has no intention of deploying OTA.

THAT is the primary influence for me to invest in the tools to maintain the software versioning in my truck(s)

It's less than 1/2 the price of the smartphone I carry. Just a modern tool for a modern product in this brave new world. :)
Exactly. Should I have to spend $500+ on a tool when I bought a $71k truck that is supposed to update itself?

Heck no.

The fact is, I bought my truck and in between the aftermarket sound system, wheels and tires, leveling kit, custom dual exhaust with Tremor rear bumper (now I ordered the Tremor skid plate and lower front bumper pieces to convert it), I have spent thousands of dollars to get my truck how I want it. What's another $500 to circumnavigate Ford's failures? Nothing but a few tears in a 5 gallon bucket.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I never commented on what anyone should do or should have to do.
I didn't defend Ford, regarding the matters, either.

I simply took Ford's and the dealership's limitations of my enjoyment out of the equation. :)

It's been blissful

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I never commented on what anyone should do or should have to do.
I didn't defend Ford, regarding the matters, either.

I simply took Ford's and the dealership's limitations of my enjoyment out of the equation. :)

It's been blissful
Copy that! I'm so glad we have access to the Mongoose cable and FDRS to do it ourselves!

I didn't mean to clap back or get chippy, but I think I'm still coming to terms with the anxiety and frustrations I've felt before, during, and after every single visit to the dealership to potentially access my warranty. This being my first ever new vehicle, so first ever vehicle warranty, has me coming to terms with new vehicle ownership being no different than used vehicle ownership: not everything works as designed and if I want it done right, I (still) need to do it myself. I am inching towards your attitude vs clinging to lost value in the experience. Thank you for always representing the positive side 🍻

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Perhaps I’m too cautious with this. I could go the self update route, get the cable and licensing but for what these vehicles cost I don’t want to give Ford a reason to deny a warranty claim should a matter occur down the road that they attribute to my intervention. So for now I wait, and wait with all of you.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If I help at all, it's my pleasure.
I don't want to be preachy, but I'm so long winded that it can come across as a lecture whether intended or not.

I'm an old man. I already knew before I ever visited a dealership that it was an option to avoid!
I didn't need a Gen14 truck to know that. I used to be just the opposite. I used the dealership as my maintenance provider. They'd change my oil, rotate my tires, top off my fluids, and even wash the truck! All while I drank their coffee and ate their donuts.

Then it started to require an appointment, rather than just being the first person there before daylight. Then, much to my dismay, they tried to sell me a new air filter because "the tech just checked and said your air filter was looking poorly".

I just stared at the service writer without responding. An awkward number of seconds. He figured out the mistake without a word from me. Face turned beet red.
(my air filter was less than a week old)

Last time I've ever been to a dealership for maintenance or service.

Of course something could break and all that change. I'm fortunate to be 3 trucks removed from that truck and never requiring a repair.

Sponsored

mrnavy2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Fusion SE
Occupation
Retired
3.5.3 was sent to your truck on 1/26 and it has been trying to download the files since then.
I will try to dload it when I get the truck again. Not sure why it won’t dload. Thanks for checking again.
steve.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I will try to dload it when I get the truck again. Not sure why it won’t dload. Thanks for checking again.
steve.
It's happening to a lot of people......not just you. A lot of people.

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Mine does similar to the OP's. If I do a reset (hold power and forward button), it will show 3.5.3 is pending but it never loads and after a few trips driving it, the pending update goes away and it just stays blank in the update details tab. Weird.
I turned off wifi last night when I parked at home and this morning found that 3.5.3 successfully downloaded last night. It is likely coincidence that I turned off wifi.

OP
OP

dm5point0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
UPS
For the record...I have been doing everything mentioned in the video since my original posting and nothing yet. I am clearly not one of the lucky ones.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve made an appt at dealer to have battery checked. From what I can tell it’s capacity is low. Hopefully once this is addressed I might have some success.

Sponsored

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 Limited & '21 Ford Explorer Platinum
I’ve made an appt at dealer to have battery checked. From what I can tell it’s capacity is low. Hopefully once this is addressed I might have some success.
Hopefully you have better luck than me. I got a new battery Monday from Ford (warranty replacement), truck would go into Deep Sleep a lot. Since then, I have yet to get an update, even tried the youtube method.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rugedraw had indicated before that none of the trucks he checked showed battery SOC as a reason for not installing so I’m not too optimistic it will make a difference. The lowered SOC was more something I noticed in my case as I tried to eliminate causes. After having charged it I found a pretty quick drop in voltage after just a day. In 2 days presently I’ve gone from full charge to just 51% with truck locked in garage. That’s a lot of drop. I suspect the battery is just defective in some way. Hopefully they agree and pop a new one in.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Rugedraw had indicated before that none of the trucks he checked showed battery SOC as a reason for not installing so I’m not too optimistic it will make a difference. The lowered SOC was more something I noticed in my case as I tried to eliminate causes. After having charged it I found a pretty quick drop in voltage after just a day. In 2 days presently I’ve gone from full charge to just 51% with truck locked in garage. That’s a lot of drop. I suspect the battery is just defective in some way. Hopefully they agree and pop a new one in.
With these updates going around not, (3.5.3 & 3.5.4), I have not seen one fail due to low SOC. That does not mean it is impossible, but I have yet to see one fail for that reason.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dealer checked truck yesterday. Reports both underhood and rear seat battery checked out fine. Brought me back into the service bay and showed me all his readings hooked up to the truck. Both batteries were not fully charged but were much higher than the readings I had been getting. He advised the rear seat battery should be disconnected from the underhood battery when charging either per what he was reading in the Ford service notes which he also showed me. Underhood was at 77% SOC thru his system. He reset BMS SOC values and offered to charge it for the day to 100% but when I told him I had a 150km round trip planned anyway he felt that would more than do it. So took the truck and went on my drive. After getting home and letting it sit I checked both batteries and they are now showing 100% state of charge and health. Will continue to monitor. Hopefully the updates come back around soon.
Sponsored