Sponsored

Wish I had the tailgate ladder

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Wonder what the odds are I can find a totaled (front end damage) Velocity Blue 2021 with this at a junk yard or something. Or would that even be possible given all the other stuff (electronic opening, cameras, lights, etc)
Sponsored

Reactions: sbi
OP
OP

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
My 2015 has the tailgate step. It is wonderful. I am ruined now & will never own another truck without it.
:) Thanks, a little salt in the wound :) For now I have a step ladder that I bring with me when hauling. Sure I could climb up on my knees, but they're not exactly 100% these days and if I can avoid it, I will.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Uninformed question but Is it the whole tailgate that’s different or just the top piece that the steps fit into?

Wonder if you could just buy the actual step and pole from Ford and retrofit- maybe it won’t work but food for thought

Sponsored

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
There are aftermarket tailgate step kits that lay flat against the tailgate until deployed. They work okay, but get in the way when trying to slide stuff across the tailgate.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Get the AMP Research step. I had the AMP on my last truck and I have the tailgate step on my current truck. The first time I needed to use the tailgate step it was blocked by the lumber in the bed. Never had that issue with the AMP. If I was to order a new truck I’d seriously look into not getting the tailgate step and just adding the AMP step.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Get the AMP Research step. I had the AMP on my last truck and I have the tailgate step on my current truck. The first time I needed to use the tailgate step it was blocked by the lumber in the bed. Never had that issue with the AMP. If I was to order a new truck I’d seriously look into not getting the tailgate step and just adding the AMP step.
+1

Had the Amp step on my last truck. Easy to install and use. Can use it with tailgate up or down.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I installed a tailgate with a step on a truck that originally didn’t have one. Customer job at work. The two gates are completely different. The hinges that mount to the box are also different. You will have to reuse your own wiring/handle/latches. It can be done, but it’s a very major job.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Uninformed question but Is it the whole tailgate that’s different or just the top piece that the steps fit into?

Wonder if you could just buy the actual step and pole from Ford and retrofit- maybe it won’t work but food for thought
Both gates are structurally different

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I have both the Amp and the OEM center step, use the Amp more than the Ford step because we tow a lot and the center step can't be use when towing. The Amp step is great. This is from a distance but you get the idea.

Ford F-150 Wish I had the tailgate ladder F150rack

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I have both the Amp and the OEM center step, use the Amp more than the Ford step because we tow a lot and the center step can't be use when towing. The Amp step is great. This is from a distance but you get the idea.
You don't need the step, anyways. You've got two right there, the spring bars and the trailer tongue. EZPZ ?

Unrelated, how big is your boat?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
You don't need the step, anyways. You've got two right there, the spring bars and the trailer tongue. EZPZ ?

Unrelated, how big is your boat?
29' World Cat. Weighs 9,750 pounds with full fuel on trailer as shown. Really too much for a half-ton pickup, but manageable with switch to electric-over hydraulic brakes, use of weight equalizing hitch, air bags. Right at the edge of payload specs, within a few pounds. Required due to limitations of our Florida home's HOA rules. Much prefer towing with our Virginia farm's Superduty.
Sponsored