First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
ok guys its time to mount a cb radio, and run wires to a PA/Intercom set up. how/where are we going through our firewalls on these bad boys
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
ok guys its time to mount a cb radio, and run wires to a PA/Intercom set up. how/where are we going through our firewalls on these bad boys
Google: Lisle 61030 2-Piece Wire Inserter Combo Set
These tools allow you to penetrate the rubber seal around the wiring harness, run your wires and seal around your wires as you remove the tool.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Did a quick search on parts.ford for ‘Firewall Grommet‘ as well as ‘Pass-Through Grommet’ and no luck with an exploded diagram betraying their location.

However, there’s a shit-ton of videos and posts for wiring through the cab of previous gen. trucks and I can’t imagine it’s too different.

When in doubt, just follow the wiring harness from the fuse box :p

Good luck!

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Let us know what you end up doing for your set up. I'm interested in this too.

JaHoova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew XLT Powerboost
Same here, got some ham equipment to power and some antennas to hood channel mount as soon as someone makes a vehicle specific bracket for the 21s. From my initial look, it seems the firewall entry grommet near the gas pedal is similar to the 2019s which I have worked on. Many interior trim panels down there look the same as well. Hopefully that means I can get up under the glove box and route through the passenger side grommet as well (I have a lot of wires going back and forth). For the 19 driver's side, I *carefully* cut the zip tie holding the wires together as they entered the grommet. Then I more carefully cut a slit in the grommet. I fed 2 6-ga power wires and a run of RG-58 coax through the slit before wrapping it all up with self-vulcanizing rubber tape (Rescue Tape). Might be what you want to look into for a start.

Sponsored

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
Any of you make progress here? Any photos of the work / access areas?

JaHoova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew XLT Powerboost
Now I just need to see if I can get through the passenger side too. Was able to on the 2019s though it was a pain in the butt.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Now I just need to see if I can get through the passenger side too. Was able to on the 2019s though it was a pain in the butt.
Lisle 61030 2-Piece Wire Inserter Combo Set

I don't know what more to say!
Why is everyone hell bent on "reinventing the wheel"?

I've built Squad Cars, Fire trucks, Ambulances, Semi Trucks, bulldozers etc... you can tear your hair out trying to figure out how to run wires through your firewall or spend twenty bucks and get these...

Ford F-150 wiring through firewall? 1641095636738

Last edited:

Kinoso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Lisle 61030 2-Piece Wire Inserter Combo Set

I don't know what more to say!
Why is everyone hell bent on "reinventing the wheel"?

I've built Squad Cars, Fire trucks, Ambulances, Semi Trucks, bulldozers etc... you can tear your hair out trying to figure out how to run wires through your firewall or spend twenty bucks and get these...

1641095636738.png
That looks like it won’t work for thicker wire like 4 gauge audio power wire.

Sponsored

KevinTriplett

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer Ret.
Depends on the thickness of the insulation. There are two tools, one goes up to 1/4" (0.250) O.D. diameter wire and the other goes up to 3/8" (0.375) O.D. diameter wire.

Looks great, thanks for the tip @UNIKRN150 !

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
You’re right!
But I don't use it to "run wire". I use it to run a "pull line".

Then I tape my wire to that (whatever size), put a little dielectric grease on the tape to help it easily slide through the rubber and running wires through a firewall goes from the most difficult part of an install to the easiest.

If you poke through one of the smaller (unused) rubber firewall plugs, you might find it difficult to pull wires through without dislodging the plug. Those plugs work well for smaller wires but if you’re running larger wires or a bundle of wires… it’s best to penetrate the large, thinner rubber boot that the main harness goes through. There’s PLENTY of room but you DO have to be careful not to puncture the harness.
Because that would be bad!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Here's another handy trick...
This one is GOLD!

Get a Speedometer cable kit (Amazon, 8-bucks)

Use that as your “pull line”.

The newer vehicles have so much crap in the cab side of the firewall that you often can’t even see that side of the penetration.

So if you’re just trying to run a “wire”, it can penetrate the firewall and then become bundled up in all the crap making it impossible to access.

Spin the speedo cable with your fingers as you run it through and it will snake it’s way around all the crap and end up on the floor of your cab.

They also work great for running wires across your headliner and through pillar post trim or floor trim without having to disassemble and risk breaking the keeper tabs.

Running wires in a vehicle is a pain in the ass. This makes it SO much easier.

Ford F-150 wiring through firewall? Speedo Cable
Sponsored