Sponsored

BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit)

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I am totally underwhelmed with the BLIS system. It does work great, there just is not enough of it.

My father just bought a Sante Fe and the HUD system is great on that car. The Hyundai BLIS system shows up on the HUD so you know if it is active without having to move your eyes or head to see a yellow dot in the mirror. I found this to be immensely helpful when driving. I had a Kia rental that gave an auditable warning if you turned on your blinker too. I also found this to be very helpful.

What I would like to do is find the wires that send power to the BLIS in the mirror and tap into them with LED lights that I can have on my dashboard. If anyone has seen the LED vent lights from LEDF150, I want to use the same principle. Just a small unobtrusive light that lights up when the mirror BLIS light is active to let me know while I am driving. This would save me having to take my eyes off the road to find a little light in the mirror.

The trick for me is finding those wires.

I am hoping Ford sells/rents some extensive electrical diagrams for this truck. The best thing would be a pdf file that is searchable. For example type in BLIS is the search feature and it will return all the pages with any BLIS information so I could look to see what wires apply to what. Maybe there is an app that would let me tie into the OBD port somehow. This might be a long shot, or even outside my skillset, but I would like to try something to improve this feature. So many wonderful things with this truck but just a few items that are "1 yard short" of the goal line.

Any help, advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The BLIS indicator comes from the modules in the doors themselves. Its wire can be found in there. The reason it's in the mirrors is that you should check the mirror before changing lanes, not blindly believe it's gospel. I do think it would have been better to have the indicator on the inside of the mirror though with an additional indicator on the IPC (optional content). Getting a wire from the door inside won't be fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah what I found is that if there is an indicator of possible activity in the blind spot it helped tremendously if you do decide to take your eyes off the road and turn your head. It is that turning of the head that is the key. I would rather not do that unnecessarily and if I do, I would rather focus on the side with my eyes or the mirror instead of first trying to focus on that small light in the mirror.

Notification of what could be going on before you have to move your head is key. BLIS is on, dont worry about changing lanes if not needed. BLIS is off, now moving your head can be to guarantee a clear shot without first looking for that little light in the mirror.

Thanks for the lead about the wiring in the door. That might actually be better than having to get into the dash.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I had a Kia rental that gave an auditable warning if you turned on your blinker too. I also found this to be very helpful.
I appreciated this audible warning when turn signal was activated on my 2019 Ridgeline. Not sure how that could be managed as a mod to the F150 though (an audible every time the LED lights would probably bee a bit too much).

In any case, your goal is interesting to me, the attached excerpts from the WSM should be helpful.

Note the two connectors of interest on each side are revealed by simply removing the small interior trim piece where the mirrors mount on each door - you don't need to pull the entire main door trim panel.

A small / bright LED on that trim piece each side might meet your need and avoid the significant aggravation of routing wires beyond the door to the dash?

Please post back to this thread if you make any progress (I'll be "watching" here).

Have Fun!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciated this audible warning when turn signal was activated on my 2019 Ridgeline. Not sure how that could be managed as a mod to the F150 though (an audible every time the LED lights would probably bee a bit too much).

In any case, your goal is interesting to me, the attached excerpts from the WSM should be helpful.

Note the two connectors of interest on each side are revealed by simply removing the small interior trim piece where the mirrors mount on each door - you don't need to pull the entire main door trim panel.

A small / bright LED on that trim piece each side might meet your need and avoid the significant aggravation of routing wires beyond the door to the dash?

Please post back to this thread if you make any progress (I'll be "watching" here).

Have Fun!
Outstanding! If I am ever in TX lunch is on me. :)

I'll have to search around the truck to see where my eye would catch a signal. The inside door by the mirror could work. Drivers side would not be a problem but even the passenger side would be significantly better in the cab than outside in the mirror. That is the one I find the most problematic to see but that is life.

I will keep this thread updated if I have any progress. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
I agree that Ford could’ve done better on this. My last car, a 2015 Hyundai Sonata, had the audible warning when the BLIS was on and also flashed the light in the mirror. I’d also like to see how you make out @Kodiak

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Next step in the game plan. Thanks to those wonderful wiring diagrams from that asset to the community Buyer2021 :) I think this may be doable. Below are some pictures of the interior area that could accommodate this project.

My hope is to be able to remove the small plastic cover on the interior by the mirror. That should give me access to the #13 green wire that powers the BLIS. I would then use a "tap" to tap into that line with one of the small (5mm or 10mm) 12v LEDs. The position of this small LED would be where the pink dots are in the pictures. This interior spot is not the best but also not the worst and it is a good "easier access" place to drill a small hole for the LED housing.

I still have to figure out what to do with the second wire for the LED, but maybe someone has some ideas. I imagine the ground wire would work but I have to see if there are other options. I'll order some lights to play around.

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) DrivSide.JPG

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) DrivSideCover.JPG

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) PassSide.JPG

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) PassSideClose.JPG

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
IMO your proposed mounting locations are attractive both from an aesthetic and functional standpoint. Of course one would not actually alter the trim for the 'permanent' installation until one has a proven working LED modification.

Some general thoughts ....
  • Note that on the left side it appears that 2-wire connector C576 has the (+, pin 2) and (-, pin 1) wires to the BLIS LED (and the same for C676 on the right side). Those wires may be a bit easier to access for tapping than the ones in the bundle to C521 / C622)
  • We don't know for certain the voltage on any of these feeds to the BLIS LEDs; it might be 12VDC nominal or it might well be less than 12VDC nominal coming from the door modules. That might be determined IF you are able to put a meter on the circuit while also inducing the BLIS LED to activate (not an easy task methinks).
Focusing on the left side / C576 for discussion ....
  • You have a choice of two types of connection for your added LED - parallel or series.
  • If you tap the wire to (+, pin 2) for the (+, anode) of your added LED, and tap (-, pin 1) for the (-. cathode) of your added LED, you will have the two LEDs in parallel.
  • If you cut the (-, pin 1) wire and insert your added LED with its (+, anode) on the 'mirror side' and its (-, cathode) on the 'ground side', you will have the two LEDs in series.
  • In all cases you must be attentive to the polarity of your added LED - if you reverse the polarity in a parallel circuit the added LED will not illuminate and if you reverse the polarity in a series circuit neither LED will illuminate.
The choice of parallel vs series connection has implications on the voltage and current available to both of the LEDs in the modified circuit - see this article for explanation.

You may find need to experiment with different voltage LEDs and / or with series / parallel connection in order to arrive at a combination which provides adequately bright output from you added LED while also not adversely impacting the output from the OE mirror LEDs.

I might suggest the use of Posi-tap 20-22 gauge connectors to facilitate experimentation with minimal disruption / damage to the OE wiring.

IMO experimentation using different added LEDs in series / parallel with Posi-taps will present minimal risk of harm to your OE system beyond the possibility of a temporary DTC if the Ford's system detects and doesn't 'like' the effect of the added LED on the circuit (remedied by removing or altering the type added LED connection if that occurs).

Final thought - it might be easier and less invasive to first experiment by pulling C576 and inserting your added LED with wires inserted directly into that connector. This would yield the 'interior' LED alert without the mirror LED alert. Come to think of it, this might be an easy / non-invasive way to meter the voltage on that circuit while driving to activate the BLIS warning on that side.

All just for your consideration, Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IMO your proposed mounting locations are attractive both from an aesthetic and functional standpoint. Of course one would not actually alter the trim for the 'permanent' installation until one has a proven working LED modification.

Some general thoughts ....
  • Note that on the left side it appears that 2-wire connector C576 has the (+, pin 2) and (-, pin 1) wires to the BLIS LED (and the same for C676 on the right side). Those wires may be a bit easier to access for tapping than the ones in the bundle to C521 / C622)
  • We don't know for certain the voltage on any of these feeds to the BLIS LEDs; it might be 12VDC nominal or it might well be less than 12VDC nominal coming from the door modules. That might be determined IF you are able to put a meter on the circuit while also inducing the BLIS LED to activate (not an easy task methinks).
Focusing on the left side / C576 for discussion ....
  • You have a choice of two types of connection for your added LED - parallel or series.
  • If you tap the wire to (+, pin 2) for the (+, anode) of your added LED, and tap (-, pin 1) for the (-. cathode) of your added LED, you will have the two LEDs in parallel.
  • If you cut the (-, pin 1) wire and insert your added LED with its (+, anode) on the 'mirror side' and its (-, cathode) on the 'ground side', you will have the two LEDs in series.
  • In all cases you must be attentive to the polarity of your added LED - if you reverse the polarity in a parallel circuit the added LED will not illuminate and if you reverse the polarity in a series circuit neither LED will illuminate.
The choice of parallel vs series connection has implications on the voltage and current available to both of the LEDs in the modified circuit - see this article for explanation.

You may find need to experiment with different voltage LEDs and / or with series / parallel connection in order to arrive at a combination which provides adequately bright output from you added LED while also not adversely impacting the output from the OE mirror LEDs.

I might suggest the use of Posi-tap 20-22 gauge connectors to facilitate experimentation with minimal disruption / damage to the OE wiring.

IMO experimentation using different added LEDs in series / parallel with Posi-taps will present minimal risk of harm to your OE system beyond the possibility of a temporary DTC if the Ford's system detects and doesn't 'like' the effect of the added LED on the circuit (remedied by removing or altering the type added LED connection if that occurs).

Final thought - it might be easier and less invasive to first experiment by pulling C576 and inserting your added LED with wires inserted directly into that connector. This would yield the 'interior' LED alert without the mirror LED alert. Come to think of it, this might be an easy / non-invasive way to meter the voltage on that circuit while driving to activate the BLIS warning on that side.

All just for your consideration, Good Luck!
Thank you for the extremely helpful and well thought out explanation. I really like your Final Thought. When I am sitting in the truck it is significantly easier to see this spot for the interior LED than hunting for it in the mirror. Especially when it is sunny outside. This gives you a quick feedback when the thought to change lanes pops into your head. You do not have to turn your head removing your eyes from the road to find a little light in the mirror. Your peripheral vision will let you know if you want to go further in the process. If you do, then you can look in the mirror and not worry about finding that little light.

These are a some small 12v LEDs and housings that I may start experimenting with. These are 5mm and I have seen 10mm ones too.

Also thanks for gentle reminder about tearing up your truck before you know something works. :) I am not one to cut corners or worry about saving 10 minutes. I know you have to find out if something works with as little disruption as possible. Then, and only then, do you tear in all back down, so you can build it all over again more permanently. Half assed, or fast ain't me, but I appreciate you taking the time to cover all bases.

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) Picture1

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) Picture2

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
OK, so I have 22-gauge Posi-taps and a Blue Sea 8172 LED (5mm, green) indicator light on hand.

It took me literally 5 minutes and no tools to pop-off the driver side trim and install this parallel setup, tapping wire 13 and 20 at C521 without even peeling back any wire-wrap (forget C576).

Ford F-150 BLIS - Alternative Option For Interior Signal Experiment (Edit) IMG_2021.JPG

I'll take a drive later to see if this green LED illuminates, just a concept test, stay tuned ....

Last edited:

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
you know one step better
if the blis detected a vehicle , that the camera would display the picture in the IP maybe on the tach or mph side

i can see my bliss orange yellow pretty well
i am spoiled by my rv that displays the side view camera image with turn signal on the dash video monitor as a back up or supplement when i look in mirrors

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I'll take a drive later to see if this green LED illuminates, just a concept test, stay tuned ....
OK, we have proof of concept:
  • My added LED (parallel connection) illuminated when BLIS activated
  • There was no discernable difference in the brightness of the OE mirror BLIS LED
  • No DTC reported with my OBD scanner
IMO the added LED would need to be much brighter and /or larger than the one I tested (see specs in my previous post) in order to serve the intended purpose in daylight. Amber or maybe even red would likely be better.

In any case, with Posi-taps it's an incredibly easy mod for experimentation and there's no reason that those cannot serve for the long-term permanent installation.

Not a priority for me but I may play with other LEDs as the opportunity arises.

Sorry, no pics, I'm not inclined to juggle for a pic when being passed on the highway.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, we have proof of concept:
  • My added LED (parallel connection) illuminated when BLIS activated
  • There was no discernable difference in the brightness of the OE mirror BLIS LED
  • No DTC reported with my OBD scanner
IMO the added LED would need to be much brighter and /or larger than the one I tested (see specs in my previous post) in order to serve the intended purpose in daylight. Amber or maybe even red would likely be better.

In any case, with Posi-taps it's an incredibly easy mod for experimentation and there's no reason that those cannot serve for the long-term permanent installation.

Not a priority for me but I may play with other LEDs as the opportunity arises.

Sorry, no pics, I'm not inclined to juggle for a pic when being passed on the highway.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
HA! You Da Man! You should contact F150LEDS or Dynamic Diodes and tell you have a prototype for sale. :)

I have also seen 10mm 12v LEDS and that might be better. Amber is what I believed I would use but red could also work. I know I wanted to fiddle with the color to find a brightness that would work but not be too much.

IMHO this will be a major improvement to Fords F-150 BLIS.

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just an FYI for anyone watching this thread. I edited the title to better reflect the "meat" of this thread. It started as a request but Buyer2021 took it to another level. This title might serve future searchers better.

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
though i'm not a big fan of splicing/tapping factory OEM wiring, this simple mod is quite interesting.

side note. maybe look into other manufacturers that do offer LED indicators in that location. Audi? maybe you could find a factory OEM that you could implement?
Sponsored