Sponsored

Wireless Charging

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Personally I am not the biggest fan of wireless charging in an every day basis, I see it as a way to charge your phone but youre unable to use it, which is fine in most cases but regardless, its slower and less convenient to charge specially if youre using a long cable. I have nothing against the technology, its definitely a nice flex.
The main benefit is convenience. Put your phone down, charging. Pick it up, use it, put it down again, charging. Doesn't help with very long sustained loads (gaming), but if you are driving it shouldn't have any issues keeping you topped up while doing wireless auto/carplay and nav.
Sponsored

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
Count me in for hoping the harness is there and can just buy the OEM part form higher trim. With wireless CarPlay it makes absolutely no sense to not include wireless charging.

davek22554

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I bought this and it does fit lengthwise in the center console and if you remove the factory one no issues. The issue is the 2021 console is about a 1/2" narrower so both will not fit sideways without overlapping. I have them overlapped and the lid does still close.

C_Low

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Wow big let down.

Do you know if Wireless CarPlay comes with Lariat 502A?
It does not....it’s very stupid. Have to get the higher end trucks. I was let down by that also.

Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
What trims don’t have wireless CarPlay? Lariat certainly does.
I’m ordering a Lariat 502A High. It has CarPlay, but no wireless charging. I think one poster confused the terminology. This thread is about wireless charging, not wireless connection to CarPlay.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I’m ordering a Lariat 502A High. It has CarPlay, but no wireless charging. I think one poster confused the terminology. This thread is about wireless charging, not wireless connection to CarPlay.
I was replying to a comment about carplay specifically. Yes, they are not linked.

Sponsored

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Save your money… it is a piece of junk that doesn’t keep your phone charged and doesn’t even fit the console cleanly without some heavy duty shaving down off the sides. I bought one and ended up tossing it.
I have seen a number of folks saying that the OEM wireless charger isn’t all that great either.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I have seen a number of folks saying that the OEM wireless charger isn’t all that great either.
IMO, it's not that great at all. Someone earlier in the thread (likely before the trucks were released or still really new because it was 2020) said it should be good enough to keep your phone topped off even while using android auto wireless or carplay. I know for the former that's not true. I've even had the USB hard wired connection have a hard time keeping my phone charge while using AA, GPS, much less the wireless charging.

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
IMO, it's not that great at all. Someone earlier in the thread (likely before the trucks were released or still really new because it was 2020) said it should be good enough to keep your phone topped off even while using android auto wireless or carplay. I know for the former that's not true. I've even had the USB hard wired connection have a hard time keeping my phone charge while using AA, GPS, much less the wireless charging.
Exactly. But, I found it to be an issue with several different wireless chargers, not just the OEM one. I bought the one on Amazon that replaces your sliding tray in the center console... that was total cr@p. Then I went with what seemed to be a very nice set up that someone here came up with using an Anker wireless charger and it couldn't keep my iPhone charged when using Carplay & GPS. Plus, the phone got very hot with all that going on and I often had issues with wireless Carplay connectivity once the phone got hot. (BTW... I have never had an issue with Anker products, I think they are fantastic!) Personally, I just don't think that wireless charging can keep up.

Now... for those of you with more modern iPhones (mine is an "ancient" iPhone Xs)... do the magsafe chargers charge faster and avoid the heat issues?

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Now... for those of you with more modern iPhones (mine is an "ancient" iPhone Xs)... do the magsafe chargers charge faster and avoid the heat issues?
Bad form to respond immediately to my own question... but a quick check of the "interwebs" reveals:

Prior to MagSafe, Qi wireless chargers topped at 7.5W of charging power

With MagSafe charging, your phone not only stays securely on the charging pad, it can also receive up to 15W of power

So... perhaps one of the MagSafe mounts and a new $1,000 iPhone will fix the problem? :)

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Exactly. But, I found it to be an issue with several different wireless chargers, not just the OEM one. I bought the one on Amazon that replaces your sliding tray in the center console... that was total cr@p. Then I went with what seemed to be a very nice set up that someone here came up with using an Anker wireless charger and it couldn't keep my iPhone charged when using Carplay & GPS. Plus, the phone got very hot with all that going on and I often had issues with wireless Carplay connectivity once the phone got hot. (BTW... I have never had an issue with Anker products, I think they are fantastic!) Personally, I just don't think that wireless charging can keep up.

I use wireless charging on my desk for my phone (Cool Millenium Falcon wireless charger...LOL). it charges my phone, somewhat slow (which I"m good with), but I also don't use my phone while it's charging in that scenario.

I just don't think that wireless charging was meant for heavy use of your phone while it was charging (I.e. AA/Carplay and GPS). Seems odd to include it in cars where it might be heavily used, but I guess not all people will use AA/Carplay or GPS so it would work fine for them. I've never tested it for that scenario.

I don't normally go on long enough trips anyways to use it (or even plugged in) so it's not been a big deal.

To your last post, yes newer wireless charging technologies charge faster, but I doubt our trucks have that and unless someone made a direct replacement, I doubt I would install anything at this point. Plugging into USB is fine with me.
Sponsored