Sponsored

Wireless Charger Overheating Phone?

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Also if you are just listening to audio and not using apps like google maps, the bluetooth spec has closed loop feedback built in, so that the endpoints will automatically transmit at the lowest strength they need. So temporarily switching to regular bluetooth audio should keep your temperatures in check while doing wireless charging.

I know it isn't ideal but for those experiencing the inability to charge it is an alternative.
The performance issues are a failsafe (throttling) to prevent components or skin temps from overheating. The failure to charge is a failsafe on the battery because you cannot safely charge it above certain temperatures. So unfortunately this is correct behavior.

What the software in the phone SHOULD be doing is on the wifi transmits, it should use metrics to see that the distance to the wifi client (the Sync head unit) is extremely close and it should not be using max transmit strength. Some advanced wifi clients will do that but it could be the Sync unit doesn't send the quality metrics. Most phones are very smart about optimizing the transmit strength, which is why I'm guessing it is the Sync unit wifi not being advanced.

Agree on on accounts, also can be affected by the signal strength to the tower and how much data is being pulled down at any time. In this case I was running Waze and Amazon music. I would notice that the music would start to brake up and then completely stop along with Waze data on the screen. I'm pretty sure the wifi chip shutdown completely each time.

I will admit that I may be exacerbating the problem with the cover that I have as it has a metal ring built in so that it will stick to a magnetic wireless charger in my other car. I'm just going to keep a lightening cord in the center console and pull it out when I need to charge. The wired charging is much faster anyway.
Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I've been waiting to see if anyone else has this issue but haven't really seen it pop up so I'm beginning to think it's just me. If I charge my phone on the wireless charger, my phone turns off in about 45 mins due to overheating. I have the iPhone 12 Pro so nothing out of the ordinary. I use a wireless charger at home and at work with no issue and I'm curious if anyone else is having an overheating issue.
Yes, I have seen it on my 12 Pro when wireless charging, using wireless CarPlay for Maps & Music. I plugged in the phone to a USB and the temperature came back down.

Wireless charging causes heat on any wireless charging station, not just the F-150 one. But adding the additional radio transmission for the wireless CarPlay seems to be a bridge too far.

Flyboy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
Also if you are just listening to audio and not using apps like google maps, the bluetooth spec has closed loop feedback built in, so that the endpoints will automatically transmit at the lowest strength they need. So temporarily switching to regular bluetooth audio should keep your temperatures in check while doing wireless charging.

I know it isn't ideal but for those experiencing the inability to charge it is an alternative.
I tried using a wireless charger plugged into the 110volt outlet on the truck and drove about 1/2 hour using Carplay. Same result as using the on-board wireless charger. The phone became very warm and did not charge. I then tried the on-board charger with the WiFi on the phone turned off and the phone, although somewhat warm did charge. It seems to me that if you want to use Carplay and charge your phone at the same time you will need to wire it to the truck via USB.

On another note, I also noticed that if the WiFi on the phone is on and it is connected to the truck via WiFi, the truck will not connect to my home WiFi. As soon as I turn off the WiFi on the phone off, the truck will connect to my home WiFi no problem.

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
I have an otter box protective cover on my iPhone 6 and tried charging using the wireless charger in the truck and it didn’t charge. Should the charger work with the protective cover on?

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I have an otter box protective cover on my iPhone 6 and tried charging using the wireless charger in the truck and it didn’t charge. Should the charger work with the protective cover on?
Otter Box cases are thicker than most, and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max was iffy even when using a MagSafe charger. She eventually returned the Otter Box and purchased a MagSafe compatible case.
Problem solved.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
kwon

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I don't think the iPhone started doing wireless charge until the iPhone 8.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
When I use CarPlay it gets crazy hot and the wireless charger isn't strong enough to charge it. I've stopped using CarPlay... Sound is better when not using CarPlay too.

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
There is a couple of issues that I have. My phone now connects to wireless CarPlay. That uses up the battery. Also my Photos start indexing as I take lots of photos and video every day. When it’s wireless charging, the iOS thinks it’s a good time to do so. Both cause my phone to get extremely hot.
Main problem is that my phone doesn’t get charged and loses charge sometimes because the processors are working so hard. I end up just plugging into the wire because I think it has around double the charging power than wireless. Then everything is fine.

Al2nd2nun

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
I've been waiting to see if anyone else has this issue but haven't really seen it pop up so I'm beginning to think it's just me. If I charge my phone on the wireless charger, my phone turns off in about 45 mins due to overheating. I have the iPhone 12 Pro so nothing out of the ordinary. I use a wireless charger at home and at work with no issue and I'm curious if anyone else is having an overheating issue.

Al2nd2nun

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Yes I am having the same problem with android auto on a note 10 plus. Problematic because it drains the battery and you lose navigation.

Sponsored

Sledgwick

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Yes I am having the same problem with android auto on a note 10 plus. Problematic because it drains the battery and you lose navigation.
I also have a Note 10+ with the same issue. Over a 3 hour drive I can gain or lose 5% battery life. Going to pickup a Galaxy S21 Ultra next week and see if I get better results. But bet we need either Ford to update thier wireless protocol or Android update wireless android auto

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
So some points to consider...

First, unless you have an official MagSafe charger (and an iphone 12) which wirelessly charges at up to 15Watts, then you will be wirelessly charging at 7.5Watts max, and maybe 5Watts. The lightning plug will charge at up to 15Watts (might even be 18Watts) as long as your charger can supply it (note the USB plugs can only supply about 5Watts max).

Second, the highest power usage devices in the phone (which then creates thermal load) is charging, but in particular wireless charging, and then the "radios". You have 4 radios in the phone, Cell, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS. And then lots of CPU cycles (processor power) can add thermal load.

If you have Nav on the phone going (GPS radio and CPU cycles), streaming music and/or map data downloading on the phone (Cell radio) and CarPlay (WiFi radio) and then potentially Bluetooth (though it's much less power than the other radios) to your Apple Watch... then you have them all fired up.

Phone will be warm/hotter than usual. Power will drop faster (unless you have a full 15Watts charging). If phone gets too warm, it will probably throttle back the Wireless charging rate, which will have the phone charge drop even faster.

My recommendation. Running short around town jaunts primarily using phone for music, not Nav, throw it on the built in wireless pad as you get in and out. If do all day travel runs with phone Nav, either get a MagSafe 15Watt charger or use the wired charging.

Note, many chargers will say MagSafe (meaning they will charge the MagSafe iphone 12 series, and uses the magnets to aim the charger, but does NOT mean they are full 15Watt charging, UNLESS it specifically says so. For example a charger can call itself MagSafe and still just supply 5Watts..

OkieCW

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost, 2017 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Attorney
I’ve got an iPhone 11 Pro and it gets hot on the charger. I had to hold it up to the AC vent earlier today. Since the charger is inside that little sliding door I tend to only use it when phone is almost dead or on longer trips.
My sister in law has a new explorer and her charger pad is just under the end of the center console arm rest, which is way easier to use and I wish the F150’s were similar.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Car wireless charger sux. Constantly loses connection. More aggravation than its worth. Tried case of or on, never holds connection. Overheating is also a symptom of a bad connection.
Went to an external magsafe case and charger, no problems.

Bamp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Sorry i don't have the wireless charger (Lariat here). But i have noticed my phone overheating just by simply using the wireless Carplay. Have you noticed the same while using wireless Carplay or Android auto?
Sorry i don't have the wireless charger (Lariat here). But i have noticed my phone overheating just by simply using the wireless Carplay. Have you noticed the same while using wireless Carplay or Android auto?
I have 2021 lariat without wireless charger, I’ve noticed very quick drain on my I phone battery and my phone getting very hot on 2-3 hour drive. I’ve heard others complain of this issue.
Sponsored