Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Nah uh! ;)

You may have the only one! Makes me wonder if some 21’s have a different “charger” that IS actually a charger? The only function My OEM charger seems to provide is turning my phone into a hotplate to reheat frozen burritos .

Phone never charges, but great for 2+ hour drive where you don’t want to stop to grab something.

Out if curiosity, which phone do you use and did you track/capture the engineering number on it?

Nice! Good on Ford for taking steps to improve. Let us know if it actually increases charge versus just maintaining current level please.

May have just found the the ‘23 part that ‘22 owners could upgrade to. Or if we can ID the specific batch of ‘21 devices that @dolsen ran into.
i am going to lift mine up and see if a fan is there...
Sponsored

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
i am going to lift mine up and see if a fan is there...
Doesn’t look like you have to go to that extent. Based on the pic on this thread and the second ebay item posted by @GrandpaD, both the fanned chargers had holes in the pad. Which makes sense.

The mold date on that one was Oct 22, so possible a ‘23. Also noticed it had an amp rating where the other doesn’t. 4 amps. Not much, but should do more than maintain unless it’s under a good load or active screen.

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
might be
my samsung gets warm i get pretty warm at times, then other its just warm to touch
my old s6 would get IMO dangerously hot so i stopped using the pad
air holes surely couldnt hurt
My iPhone 12Pro Max, has overheated, after prolonged charging, so I only use now for "top-up" and use USB wherever possible.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
I saw this thread and happened to be installing the missing ambient lighting in my 23 today. I took the media bin out to cut a hole for a light so took a couple pictures.

There is a cooling fan on the backside. Only the 2 far right holes go straight through. I assume there is space behind the others holes for more airflow but I didn't verify.
Ford F-150 Wireless Charger Changed for 2023? 1676942863254
Great pics! Being an Anatel part got my hopes up that maybe it also functioned as a cellular amplifier, like Wilson, or at least a passive antenna that links to the roof. Found the FCC testing document, and sadly no it's not.
https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/BEJWCFDM00N2A/5102049.pdf
There are three variants.
"There are three hardware variants of the EUT: WCFDM00N2A1 with cooling fan, WCFDM00N2A5 without cooling fan, and WCFDM00N2A3 without cooling fan or top rubber pad. All employ identical WPT circuitry and antennas, but the unit with the cooling fan includes a fan control IC populated on the PCB. The unit with the cooling fan populated is fully tested herein and was confirmed to be the worst case variant."

So @GrandpaD, I think there's your answer.
> Maybe Ford uses different suppliers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Great pics! Being an Anatel part got my hopes up that maybe it also functioned as a cellular amplifier, like Wilson, or at least a passive antenna that links to the roof. Found the FCC testing document, and sadly no it's not.
https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/BEJWCFDM00N2A/5102049.pdf
There are three variants.
"There are three hardware variants of the EUT: WCFDM00N2A1 with cooling fan, WCFDM00N2A5 without cooling fan, and WCFDM00N2A3 without cooling fan or top rubber pad. All employ identical WPT circuitry and antennas, but the unit with the cooling fan includes a fan control IC populated on the PCB. The unit with the cooling fan populated is fully tested herein and was confirmed to be the worst case variant."

So @GrandpaD, I think there's your answer.
> Maybe Ford uses different suppliers.
What exactly do they mean by "worst case variant"?

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
I just had my wireless charger pulled out to install the media bin light for my 23. Same as others are reporting a fan is on the back of the charger.

I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max with a unicorn beetle hard case. I feel like it charged it a good amount. However I wasn’t paying that much attention

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
What exactly do they mean by "worst case variant"?
In the context of what they are doing, which is radio frequency emission testing for FCC approval. The fan model made the most noise on the spectrum, but still passed.
All those devices we [Americans] own that have FCC Part 15 notices on them go through a test like this.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Interesting that on eBay there are two listings for a 21-23 center console with the wireless charger.

One shows the underside without a fan - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559680865...sRECRawTpW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And the other WITH a fan - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559727214...sRECRawTpW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Maybe Ford uses different suppliers.
Looking at the part numbers the old one starts with LL1T and the one with the fan starts with NL1T. So they revised the part to have the fan.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Don’t really use the wireless on my 21, turns my iPhone 11 into a hot paw. USB works without the overheating.

Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Don’t really use the wireless on my 21, turns my iPhone 11 into a hot paw. USB works without the overheating.
The fan should address that...

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Can you install this in a console that didn't have a wireless charger to begin with or are you replacing a lot of plastic?

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
The fan should address that...
Pretty sure 21 trucks don’t have fans under the wireless charging pad. Yes if you could do a refit that would definitely go a long way to address the heating issue.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Can you install this in a console that didn't have a wireless charger to begin with or are you replacing a lot of plastic?
Are you asking if you can put a factory WACM into a truck that didn’t have one from the factory? I did exactly that using all OEM parts

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Are you asking if you can put a factory WACM into a truck that didn’t have one from the factory? I did exactly that using all OEM parts
Yes that is exactly my question. Any comments as to if you need more parts then the charger. Ie is the console different. Thanks.
Sponsored