Sponsored

Wireless Charger Changed for 2023?

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I was excited to have a wireless charging option but I don't use it. My iphone continually disconnects from charging and I have to nudge it to get it charging again. Wireless carplay zaps the battery too so that the wireless charger barely keeps even with the battery. I also just keep a charging cable in the truck. So far this is my only disappointment with MY22. Minor complaint so I overlook it.
Second this. My standard size iPhone has to be placed perfectly to charge, and reset when I hit a rut. My wife's iPhone plus doesn't charge regardless of placement.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I was excited to have a wireless charging option but I don't use it. My iphone continually disconnects from charging and I have to nudge it to get it charging again. Wireless carplay zaps the battery too so that the wireless charger barely keeps even with the battery. I also just keep a charging cable in the truck. So far this is my only disappointment with MY22. Minor complaint so I overlook it.
Mine did just this, the phone would disconnect/connect from charging all the time. Found that I had a wireless charger software update available. I updated the trucks software via FDRS and it fixed the problem. Phone maintains change when using Car Play and on the charger.

Might want to post your vin to have somebody check what updates you have available. If you have the wireless charger update, take it to the dealer and complain.

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired
You're not going to see a great rate of charge from this (or any) wireless hook-up.

From Popular Science - "The Samsung Galaxy S22, for example, supports a maximum of 25W over a conventional charger and a maximum of 15W through wireless, making the wired option almost twice as fast."

I've noticed this at home, using both wired and wireless for my Pixel 7 Pro. My wireless pad is Google's.

Depending on what apps you're using (for me it's AA and Maps) plus the Bluetooth connection, my phone just barely maintains the charge level it was on when I started the truck. For short trips I use the wireless...long I plug it in.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I guess I’m one of the few that actually has a decent factory wireless charger. And it didn’t even come with the truck, I installed it after purchase. Mine charges well and it doesn’t get hot

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I guess I’m one of the few that actually has a decent factory wireless charger. And it didn’t even come with the truck, I installed it after purchase. Mine charges well and it doesn’t get hot
what kind do you have?

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
what kind do you have?
An OEM charger out of a wrecked truck

I’m fairly certain it came from a 21 because the center console harness I got with it had connectors for ambient cupholder and media bin lights

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I rarely use wireless charging, even in the MME where it's much better situated.

Wireless charging uses induction, it's the exact same tech that powers modern stoves. Heat is a byproduct of using it. Combine with the fact that phone is rendering the screen on the head unit (heat), you're continually using wifi (heat), the fact you're ever so slightly charging (heat), and it's using induction (heat), you're limiting just how much charging can occur. You're lucky to see a constant state of charge on the phone, let alone any meaningful charge.

Using the USB-C port allows for the most energy to pass (higher current than induction), if you're using wired connection, your modems are using less power (more for the batt charging) creating less heat as well, and your net benefit is roughly the same heat due to higher current charging, less risk of latency issues, but you're actually charging. If the phone is sitting in the slot next to the shifter, it's got higher airflow around it as well allowing for a cooler phone temp from dissipation.

PBJelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150pb plat
I saw this thread and happened to be installing the missing ambient lighting in my 23 today. I took the media bin out to cut a hole for a light so took a couple pictures.

There is a cooling fan on the backside. Only the 2 far right holes go straight through. I assume there is space behind the others holes for more airflow but I didn't verify.

Ford F-150 Wireless Charger Changed for 2023? IMG20230217161801
Ford F-150 Wireless Charger Changed for 2023? IMG20230217161820

DrTone

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Raptor, 2022 Tremor 402a
Mine did just this, the phone would disconnect/connect from charging all the time. Found that I had a wireless charger software update available. I updated the trucks software via FDRS and it fixed the problem. Phone maintains change when using Car Play and on the charger.

Might want to post your vin to have somebody check what updates you have available. If you have the wireless charger update, take it to the dealer and complain.
Interesting!

OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I saw this thread and happened to be installing the missing ambient lighting in my 23 today. I took the media bin out to cut a hole for a light so took a couple pictures.

There is a cooling fan on the backside. Only the 2 far right holes go straight through. I assume there is space behind the others holes for more airflow but I didn't verify.

IMG20230217161801.jpg
IMG20230217161820.jpg
Thanks for posting! I can't imagine the older charger had a cooling fan behind it... Very cool. How does your charger perform?

Anybody with a 2021 or 2022 take theirs apart and have pics to share?

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Thanks for posting! I can't imagine the older charger had a cooling fan behind it... Very cool. How does your charger perform?

The charger I installed out of a 21 did not have a cooling fan, it just had a bunch of “nipples” as a pseudo heat sink.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Nah uh! ;)

You may have the only one! Makes me wonder if some 21’s have a different “charger” that IS actually a charger? The only function My OEM charger seems to provide is turning my phone into a hotplate to reheat frozen burritos .

Phone never charges, but great for 2+ hour drive where you don’t want to stop to grab something.

Out if curiosity, which phone do you use and did you track/capture the engineering number on it?

IMG20230217161801.jpg
IMG20230217161820.jpg
Nice! Good on Ford for taking steps to improve. Let us know if it actually increases charge versus just maintaining current level please.

May have just found the the ‘23 part that ‘22 owners could upgrade to. Or if we can ID the specific batch of ‘21 devices that @dolsen ran into.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Nah uh! ;)

You may have the only one! Makes me wonder if some 21’s have a different “charger” that IS actually a charger? The only function My OEM charger seems to provide is turning my phone into a hotplate to reheat frozen burritos .

Phone never charges, but great for 2+ hour drive where you don’t want to stop to grab something.

Out if curiosity, which phone do you use and did you track/capture the engineering number on it?

Nice! Good on Ford for taking steps to improve. Let us know if it actually increases charge versus just maintaining current level please.

May have just found the the ‘23 part that ‘22 owners could upgrade to. Or if we can ID the specific batch of ‘21 devices that @dolsen ran into.
I didn’t grab any part numbers off of the wireless charger, sorry

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max with a spigen case that’s clear plastic/polyurethane on the back. I’m wondering if the case helps… but maybe not because my wife’s explorer is as bad as everyone else’s wireless charger

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired

PBJelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150pb plat

🤷‍♂️ I prefer my phone higher up where I can see it so I use a different mount instead of the charger in the media bin.

I'll have to try it out for a while and see how well it works.
Sponsored