Drburka

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 platinum
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2022 F-150 hybrid, platinum. I took delivery in December. The wipers were jumping around for a while and quit working completely in the middle of a rain storm on 495 - not ideal. I ended up pulling over until the rain passed and then took it to the dealership. Obviously, there is a recall on the wiper motor and apparently, I experienced the reason why there is a recall on the wiper motor. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the recall happened 2-3 months ago, Ford still has not made the replacement part available to the dealership. Additionally, they are not making old wiper motor available to dealerships. Accordingly, I'm stuck and my truck is stuck undriveable with no timetable for when the new part will be made available.

The dealership has given me a loaner car. The loaner is a 2019 Ford Focus with 25,000 miles on it. I'm obviously frustrated because a Ford Focus does not replace a brand new F-150 platinum with less than 2000 miles on it. Essentially they are replacing a $80,000 truck with a $10,000 car and that doesn't even address the issue that I need my truck for work (Ford focus isn't so great at hauling lumber).

Any suggestions? I'm sure Lemon Laws would apply here but I don't imagine there are any trucks lying around to replace this one and a buy-back would unlikely be for the actual value of the car, nor would it solve my problem of not having a truck to drive. What I really want is a working truck.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Doug
Sponsored

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
So moral pf this story besides screw ford's incompetence is dont take your vehicle in for this recall. Rainx to the rescue

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not to offend, but it sounds so strange to use the lemon word for almost any kind of frustrating experience.
"Hey, I see you have a brand new truck. Didn't you get a new truck 3 months ago?"

Yea, but it was a lemon. So this is the replacement truck, exactly the same brand and model, but nothing will ever go wrong with it, hopefully

It's a windshield wiper motor.
And parts availability is just another example of supply/demand supplychain post Covid chaos. It's true that it can be a dang lousy scenario too.

But lemon? If those are the new standards I'm hoping to find me a Platinum Lemon truck with a big fat depreciation hit for a windshield wiper motor.

Seriously, I hope your truck gets fixed yesterday, and I hope nobody else has to be inconvenienced by this mess we are all dealing with.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i thought the recall was to address the woodruff pins falling out of the arm that the wiper attaches to.
same thing on superduties, mine kept falling out so i super glued it int he key way. problem solved
if your arms are spinning or jumping on the shaft, did they look at the woodruff key and see if its laying in the cowl? its an easy fix if you have it

OP
OP

Drburka

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 platinum
Not to offend, but it sounds so strange to use the lemon word for almost any kind of frustrating experience.
"Hey, I see you have a brand new truck. Didn't you get a new truck 3 months ago?"

Yea, but it was a lemon. So this is the replacement truck, exactly the same brand and model, but nothing will ever go wrong with it, hopefully

It's a windshield wiper motor.
And parts availability is just another example of supply/demand supplychain post Covid chaos. It's true that it can be a dang lousy scenario too.

But lemon? If those are the new standards I'm hoping to find me a Platinum Lemon truck with a big fat depreciation hit for a windshield wiper motor.

Seriously, I hope your truck gets fixed yesterday, and I hope nobody else has to be inconvenienced by this mess we are all dealing with.
No offense taken and I sort of agree with you. I have no interest in replacing the truck or getting my money back. What I want is a working truck.

To be clear - the real issue is that I'm currently paying $1,200 per month to drive a Ford Focus with 25K miles that smells like someone smoked in it.

The idea of Lemon Laws is not necessarily related to the severity of the problem. It's to prevent dealers from dragging their feet on warranty repairs related to safety or that prevent an owner from using their car.

You mention that you'd be happy with my truck for a depreciation value - i.e. - a deep discount. But, would you pay full price for a truck if the dealer told you that you had to start paying today but it wasn't clear when you would be able to drive the truck? Of course not. I'm not getting a discount. I'm not getting any compensation. In fact, I'm still paying top dollar for a truck that can't be driven and wouldn't pass a safety inspection with no timetable for when it can be fixed.

Ford says there are no wiper motors available. Yet, they are building new trucks everyday and I assume those trucks have windshield wipers. It seems ford is prioritizing sending wiper motors to trucks getting built rather than to the recall. This is where I really have a problem. It's not great getting stuck on a highway without windshield wipers in the rain. It's a major safety issue.

It seems Ford should not sell a single new truck with a wiper motor until they have adequate supply to address a safety recall. Calling it a supply chain issue is misguided - it's not a supply chain issue, it's a supply allocation issue.

I do sympathize with those whose trucks are on wiper motor hold or chip hold after ordering. I waited 15 months for my truck to come out of chip hold. It's a completely different beast now that I'm paying for my truck AND I sold my old truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Drburka

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 platinum
i thought the recall was to address the woodruff pins falling out of the arm that the wiper attaches to.
same thing on superduties, mine kept falling out so i super glued it int he key way. problem solved
if your arms are spinning or jumping on the shaft, did they look at the woodruff key and see if its laying in the cowl? its an easy fix if you have it
Unfortunately, that's not the same issue. Ford actually recalled the wiper motor on the F-150 only first. Later they added the super duty and some lincoln and other SUV's for the blade issue you describe. The former issue is that the wiper motor can fail. See here -- https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ecalled-to-fix-windshield-wipers-a7537708279/.

At this point, I'd take an old wiper motor still subject to the recall - they claim they've had 700ish warranty claims for a failed wiper motor - that's less the 1% of the truck they built. I could then have it replaced again when the part become available. Ford apparently doesn't want the dealer to do that. *sigh*

OP
OP

Drburka

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 platinum
So moral pf this story besides screw ford's incompetence is dont take your vehicle in for this recall. Rainx to the rescue
Is RainX good enough? I've put it on cars before but never on a truck. You got me thinking though - maybe I should just get my truck back, RainX it and take my wife's car and/or Uber if the forecast is rain.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Unfortunately, that's not the same issue. Ford actually recalled the wiper motor on the F-150 only first. Later they added the super duty and some lincoln and other SUV's for the blade issue you describe. The former issue is that the wiper motor can fail. See here -- https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ecalled-to-fix-windshield-wipers-a7537708279/.

At this point, I'd take an old wiper motor still subject to the recall - they claim they've had 700ish warranty claims for a failed wiper motor - that's less the 1% of the truck they built. I could then have it replaced again when the part become available. Ford apparently doesn't want the dealer to do that. *sigh*
that sucks big green ones
i would ask ford dealer to call orielles or napa, seems awfully weird at the level of failing parts across the manufactures since covid of course its all covids fault... not dipsticks building parts
we a condensor issue on the bus, no parts from builder . went to napa and bought a consendor that fit same space and boom we are fixed.
hopefully it gets resolved soon, a focus is not am 150

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
Is RainX good enough? I've put it on cars before but never on a truck. You got me thinking though - maybe I should just get my truck back, RainX it and take my wife's car and/or Uber if the forecast is rain.
I had a 95 Toyota SR5 that had no wipers on it just rainx. Now I would put on a few coats every couple days depending on the weather. But it got me through till i got wipers

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A really really good application of Rainx will do the trick. Especially at speeds over 20mph.
It's certainly worth a try!
There may even be better products that last longer,.... Perhaps ceramic based. But with Rainx at least you could just freshen up the application each time you notice it's losing its hydro-... Whatever the word is for it.

Quick YouTube search

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Hydrophobic properties? :D

RainX is good for rain but if it’s muddy slop water or gritty mixed sleet, wipers are pretty useful.

When I was too cheap to fix a broken wiper motor years ago, I found that a sport squeeze bottle filled with water and held out the driver’s window was good to wash enough filth from the windshield to see out of it.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Wow that is super shitty of Ford as usual. Continue to crank out new trucks with the wiper motors but can't afford to replace a broken one essentially stranding a truck.

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
I feel your pain. Tomorrow, the 24th of May will be 4 months since a lady t-boned my 2021 King Ranch when she hit my front left tire, breaking if off the wheel assembly and all the damage that went with it. Been waiting on parts for three months. The fourth month has been trying to get the wheel alignment and all the sensors recalibrated. It's frustrating having to drive a Toyota 4-runner loaner. Now I'm told I need a new steering wheel, although the other one was fine, not deploying the air bag. Something about another damn sensor not calibrating.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Wow that is super shitty of Ford as usual. Continue to crank out new trucks with the wiper motors but can't afford to replace a broken one essentially stranding a truck.
They are idiots.

The F150 is their flagship vehicle and they screwed it all up.

I can't recall having a wiper motor go out unless I bought an old pile of junk car for a few hundred bucks.
Sponsored