Windshield Replacement

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
I just had my windshield replaced due to a SMALL rock chip to form a crack that spread across the windshield the first time I used the defroster. The rock was pea gravel sized and barely made any noise. Are these windshields thinner or more brittle than in the past? Safelight charged my insurance company close to $1,000 for an OEM replacement. Over $400 of it was to recalibrate the cameras, which took 5 minutes. I know because I wouldn't let the installer drive my truck, I did the driving. At these rates, I can't see insurance companies offering free replacements much longer.
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I have a small chip in mine, but it is behind the mirror where the driver can't see it. I also have XPEL on it. I am leaving it alone as long as it doesn't crack or get worse.

Insurance companies offering free replacements I think may be based on state laws. In FL, they have to cover 100%, but I recall many years ago when I was in VA that they only covered part of the replacement or there was a deductible.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just had my windshield replaced due to a SMALL rock chip to form a crack that spread across the windshield the first time I used the defroster. The rock was pea gravel sized and barely made any noise. Are these windshields thinner or more brittle than in the past? Safelight charged my insurance company close to $1,000 for an OEM replacement. Over $400 of it was to recalibrate the cameras, which took 5 minutes. I know because I wouldn't let the installer drive my truck, I did the driving. At these rates, I can't see insurance companies offering free replacements much longer.
Amytime you have a chip and hit defrost, you have a chance of additional cracks. Physics and all.

Had it happen on a 1972 ford and a 1989 chevy.

Rock chips are usually fixed with zero out of pocket. Get chips fixed before weather get cold.
Sponsored