Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Is no one concerned that the entire trucks clearcoat could be affected, non conforming, etc? How is ford not addressing this if they're saying it's a problem causing the windshield issue? Will peoples clearcoat have issues long term?!
I am not concerned about my paint/clear coat.

I am concerned about some human removing my already bonded windshield and all my components that are attached to my windshield and then properly reassembling in a way that the anal retentive me doesn't notice and drive me crazy.
I personally am gonna wait awhile and let many many others have their windshields replaced first. my opinion.
Sponsored

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
6-month check-up is going to take a bit longer. I have another recall for Heated Mirror and Integrated Trailer Relay Module (21B08). Anyone else have that alert?
Yes, and I had the fix done when I had my truck in for a shifting issue. They did a flash on the module.

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Had my first oil change at the dealership today and I mentioned to my advisor the recall on the windshield. She took my floor mats out and felt the carpet and sure enough it was damp. Said that she has one truck in the shop already for repair so you guys might want to take a quick check underneath your mats for dampness before it gets a moldy smell. I too am concerned about the dealership taking my truck apart and putting it back together correctly, especially if they have to replace the carpet.

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
Updated with more info:

<snip>​
We asked Ford for clarification on what caused this issue, whether it was an installation error or defective materials. A Ford representative replied with this statement:​
"This safety compliance recall was not an installation issue. A non-conforming batch of the paint supplier's flow additive within the clearcoat, and one specific primer, resulted in reduced bonding performance to the urethane adhesive used to attach the windshield to the vehicle body structure."
The recall affects 87,350 trucks in North America, 79,017 of which were sold in the US. Luckily, it seems like the fix for this issue involves the dealer simply removing and reinstalling the windshield using standard service procedures.​
If you are the owner of one of the affected trucks, you can expect to get a notice from Ford starting the week of April 6, 2021. Ford claims that no injuries have been reported as a result of this defect.​
<end snip>​

FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES SAFETY COMPLIANCE AND SAFETY RECALLS IN NORTH AMERICA

Feb 22, 2021 | DEARBORN, Mich.

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 22, 2021 – Ford Motor Company is issuing safety compliance and safety recalls in North America.

Safety compliance recall for select 2020-21 Ford F-Series vehicles for windshield adhesion
Affected vehicles do not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards because the front windshields are inadequately bonded to the vehicle body structure. In the event of a crash, the windshield may not adequately stay in place, which may increase the risk of occupant injury.

This action affects 79,017 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 6,986 in Canada and 1,347 in Mexico, including:
  • 2021 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Truck Plant from Oct. 27, 2020, to Feb. 3, 2021
  • 2020-21 Ford Super Duty vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant from Oct. 13, 2020, to Jan. 23, 2021
Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.

Owner notifications will begin the week of April 6. Dealers will remove and reinstall the windshield using standard service procedures. The Ford reference number for this recall is 21C06.
Has anyone actually been notified of the recall?

Sponsored

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost 11/6/20
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
I picked up my truck from the service department this afternoon...and I learned a lot about this recall. Not only did I speak with my service advisor, but I ran into the service manager who I have known for 25+ years.

They hadn't heard about the recall yet. I filled them in from what I had learned here and shared the press release from February. Thankfully, the press release had the recall code on it. After some magic keyboard clicking, they had the info. It was released to the dealers today. (4/7/2021)

Here is what I learned from the service manager:

Windshield will be removed, the clearcoat will be have a permanent cleaning to make it bond. This means no special materials or procedures if replacement is needed for the life of the truck by anyone.

A new windshield is included. The paperwork indicated the windshield would come from Ford and the balance of the supplies should be obtained locally. They both agreed that Ford's policy is to replace and not re-install windshields.

Rental vehicle is pre-authorized for one day. According to the service advisor, this is rare, usually Ford requires contact for approval at the time of work order writing.

As my dealership does not do glass themselves, they will be coordinating with the third party glass company to make sure entire recall goes smoothly.

My dealer is ordering materials and windshield, I am first on the list.

<Added this info>
The recall notice also included the camera realignment as part of the service.

Last edited:

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I picked up my truck from the service department this afternoon...and I learned a lot about this recall. Not only did I speak with my service advisor, but I ran into the service manager who I have known for 25+ years.

They hadn't heard about the recall yet. I filled them in from what I had learned here and shared the press release from February. Thankfully, the press release had the recall code on it. After some magic keyboard clicking, they had the info. It was released to the dealers today. (4/7/2021)

Here is what I learned from the service manager:

Windshield will be removed, the clearcoat will be have a permanent cleaning to make it bond. This means no special materials or procedures if replacement is needed for the life of the truck by anyone.

A new windshield is included. The paperwork indicated the windshield would come from Ford and the balance of the supplies should be obtained locally. They both agreed that Ford's policy is to replace and not re-install windshields.

Rental vehicle is pre-authorized for one day. According to the service advisor, this is rare, usually Ford requires contact for approval at the time of work order writing.

As my dealership does not do glass themselves, they will be coordinating with the third party glass company to make sure entire recall goes smoothly.

My dealer is ordering materials and windshield, I am first on the list.
What are the details of your truck? Is it a Powerboost? Some threads claimed the Powerboost trucks weren't part of the recall?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
What are the details of your truck? Is it a Powerboost? Some threads claimed the Powerboost trucks weren't part of the recall?
details are in his id panel to the left, 3.5 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
It showed up on my ford owners page. I was having my oil changes today and my service advisor ran my vin in their system and it showed the recall.

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I just checked my VIN on the Ford Recall check page. No recall listed. I have a Powerboost.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I am not concerned about my paint/clear coat.

I am concerned about some human removing my already bonded windshield and all my components that are attached to my windshield and then properly reassembling in a way that the anal retentive me doesn't notice and drive me crazy.
I personally am gonna wait awhile and let many many others have their windshields replaced first. my opinion.
It shouldn't be a concern. I have my own windshield guy (*not* Safelite) who does modern windshields and all sensors flawlessly. He's comes to me and has replaced windshields on my Porsche, Corvette, and Tahoe. To find him I just called the Porsche dealer and asked who they use.

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
Anyone have the windshield recall completed yet? If so how long did it take and what was the process?
Got my notice in the mail today. Wondering about this too, anyone had it done yet?..
Anyone have the windshield recall completed yet? If so how long did it take and what was the process?
I received my notice today in the mail. Wondering about this too, anyone have it done yet..?

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
take a couple of hours. Dealer may want have truck for the day. Remove glass clean all glue. Prepare surface. Speciale procedure if it lead foot paint. Reinstall glass then let it dry.
Sponsored