Sponsored

Windshield defrost = Eng Run, Cold HVB = 42-56% usable range

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
(edit: With continual updates regarding vehicle functionality this info may or may not still be valid)

I've been doing data collection on the truck and noticed a possibility for those who've used generator mode where hybrid doesn't engage. I've found that if the windshield defrost is selected, at least when it's cold out, the engine will run continuously. It doesn't even need max defrost. If you've got air blowing on the windshield, the ICE will not shutoff (parked). Just changing the air selection to windshield vent w/ the vent selection button is enough to start it.

I also noticed that with the HVB in the mid 60s F, the usable capacity drops to 42%-56%. Due to the nature of the system in stop and go, the battery heats up quite fast as you'd expect pulling ~120 amps into and out of the battery, which equates to 22.5c (pack is 1.5kWh, 22.5c means 22.5x the rated pack capacity, or 33.7kW).

Also, when key on, engine off, the HVB is the source of all power until the HVB gets to 44% or so, then the DC-DC shuts off and the 12v batts take over. This has been known, so not surprising. What I did find surprising is that the pump that cools the DC-DC converter doesn't run if the engine is off. It was 30f when I was playing with it, and I watched its internal temp get to 88 degrees. Thing likely gets quite toasty when it's warm out. Additionally, its performance is quite fast. It carries all of the 12v duties when it's on. It's very fast to respond. The powered steps will take 30 amps of current on activation, it was surprising to see it instantly take up the load with no more than 2 amps showing up on the battery. These are aftermarket and don't interact with any bus in the vehicle so its extremely fast response is in reaction to the sudden current spike. I was able to get it to peak at 120a supply with just seat heaters, defrost, blower, headlights, and steps. For clarity, about 35 of those amps were going into the 12v batts I drained as part of the testing.

That's all for now. Do keep in mind the windshield blowing function of the HVAC and not powering down. Not sure if there's a temp window that becomes untrue in, but that could be a source of the ICE not shutting off in low current gen mode.
Sponsored

Last edited: