AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
Thank you for keeping us posted. I removed the tx6 kit from my 2013 to put on the 2022. I have the rear 6 piston kit as well. I'm not sure that will ever work due to the electronic emergency brake.
My truck might be here in the next month so I have time.
wilwood makes an electronic parking brake version of the tx6. But it’s all kinda pointless since it seems the OEM ABS system does not like adapting to bigger brake systems.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
Wilwoods have been taken off the truck, back to stock.

Info from Baer:
This is a good, yet complicated question that doesn’t have an easy answer. I will try to give you a 30k ft view of the situation, but some of the information we have learned in detail required an NDA.
The Ford F150 in late 2020 (and not all), went to an electronic brake assist. We believe this was done to have more control over the braking for the future of self-driving. In late 2020 there was a recall on these units, but it only affected around 50 units and it was due to an internal leak. The electric assist is much more complex than what we have ever seen before (we have heard this unit has 18 inputs), and this can monitor a number of things, that being:
-Pedal travel

-Push rod travel into the master

-Pressure

-Amount of Deceleration
We have even heard things like piston travel, to monitor pad wear.
If any of the upgrades fall out of the base parameters set with the electronic apply, the code will be set.
We also believe that this is an issue with the calibration on this new electric assist. We have talked to a few service advisers at Ford that have had the C1013-09 code with completely stock brakes, and have changed the assist unit to cure the problem. We have also heard that later this year there will be an update for this unit but this has not been confirmed. We also believe at some point in 2021 the calibration changed (unknown to Ford), since we have had no real issues with any 2021 trucks till mid this year. (again not confirmed)
We believe we have fixed this issue, but we have engineered our package as a whole to work with the platform that is a constant. What I mean by that is the program we are doing with Tuscany/Shelby the trucks are all the same. A change of any of these things (other than the base brake package) could result in the code coming back:
-Change of wheel diameter

-Change of tire diameter

-Change of tire compound

-Change of pad material (friction level/MU point)

-Suspension

-Shock valving

-Vehicle height

-Maybe even a possible heavy payload
I hope this sheds some light on what might be going on. If you are trying to do these for a variety of customers, with a variety of upgrades there might not be a solution to this unless the next calibration fixes it.

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
Hey Adam. Thank you for sharing. I’m not really happy about this news and I do not want to go with a Baer big brake kit. I really want Wilwood to figure it out so I can use my existing kit.

OP
OP
AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
Hey Adam. Thank you for sharing. I’m not really happy about this news and I do not want to go with a Baer big brake kit. I really want Wilwood to figure it out so I can use my existing kit.
I would be very surprised if that happened. I think I am going to order an American Power Brakes kit, if they will commit to taking the kit back if I get ABS codes.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
The electric assist is much more complex than what we have ever seen before (we have heard this unit has 18 inputs), and this can monitor a number of things, that being:
-Pedal travel

-Push rod travel into the master

-Pressure

-Amount of Deceleration
So, I thought I was a bit crazy in feeling the truck have what seemed to be some variable braking in different situations, but when I got to use Slippery in the rain a few weeks ago, I was super confident that the brake boost was lowered to smooth brake application. It felt like (as in similar to, not exactly like) manual brakes.

I've been doing performance driving for about 2 decades in ABS-less cars, so I think I have a good sense of pedal feel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
So, I thought I was a bit crazy in feeling the truck have what seemed to be some variable braking in different situations, but when I got to use Slippery in the rain a few weeks ago, I was super confident that the brake boost was lowered to smooth brake application. It felt like (as in similar to, not exactly like) manual brakes.

I've been doing performance driving for about 2 decades in ABS-less cars, so I think I have a good sense of pedal feel.
you aren’t crazy! These trucks change so many variables when changing drive modes.

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
I wonder if driving in sport mode would stop this from happening?