Willwood/Brembo Brake Kit

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
Are you finding the stock breaks in adequate?

Darrell

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
Brakes. Yes, supercharged trucks move quickly.
Makes sense....I found out my brakes on the Mustang were inadequate trying to make a quick stop from north of 125mph.

Darrell

Sponsored

BLK2022rcsb

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 single cab 4x4 2021 wrangler
Occupation
Superintendent
Those should work!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I have never gone that far, but I do strongly agree with upgrade brakes as more than an afterthought. My application is slightly different from OP's: I am pulling a utility trailer, but never going over 85 even when I'm just driving unladen. My fear is the unexpected need to stop in a hurry and suffering from brake fade at the worst time. To that end, my setup is perhaps closer to what many of us would use (both in use and cost):
I have a set of EBC slotted front rotors and have a set of EBC Yellowstuff pads coming. No word on rear discs yet, but it's not great issue if they don't. It won't stop nearly as well as a new set of Wilwood calipers and rotors, but it's also 15% of the cost of those.

Sponsored

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
What is the kit number you ordered? I've looked on the Wilwood webpage and don't see anything listed for 2021 or 2022. I currently have a set on my 2013 and I'm curious if they will work on the 2022 I've ordered. My current Wilwoods have only been on my truck around 8000 miles so they are basically brand new.

OP
OP
AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
What is the kit number you ordered? I've looked on the Wilwood webpage and don't see anything listed for 2021 or 2022. I currently have a set on my 2013 and I'm curious if they will work on the 2022 I've ordered. My current Wilwoods have only been on my truck around 8000 miles so they are basically brand new.
https://www.littleshopmfg.com/ford-09-20-f150-front-16-tx6-big-brake-kit/

edit: warning. New gen f150 ABS system
Is not playing nice with this kit. I would recommend NOT ordering this until these bugs are *hopefully* worked out.

Last edited:

Darvish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost platinum
Occupation
Unemployed
https://www.littleshopmfg.com/ford-09-20-f150-front-16-tx6-big-brake-kit/

edit: warning. New gen f150 ABS system
Is not playing nice with this kit. I would recommend NOT ordering this until these bugs are *hopefully* worked out.
I have a set of those calipers in
My garage I had on my suburban. I have been in communication with wilwood about putting them on
My Powerboost limited as I tow a car to tracks around the country, frequently out west over the Rockies.
I’m all about bigger brakes on everything I drive,especially over mountains.
They were awesom on the burb.

I’ve talked to wilwood about the bracket to mount the T6XR on the f150.
They have not released a kit yet for post 20 F150s

the ABS issue may very well be the reason.
If it were a matter of just a bracket to mount the caliper, one would think it would be a matter on programming a cnc mill.

I’m just guessing, but, with the efficiency of big brakes, there may be a pressure differential between front and rear systems that trigger ABS causing issues.

it might take a separate proportioning valve.
Again, this is simply a guess.
I’m glad I read this before I tried to buy the bracket only from that company.

I guess there is a reason wilwood has not done it yet.

I might just go all in and get the big brembo GT fronts and Alcon rears.

OP
OP
AdamC

AdamC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 Whippled
I have a set of those calipers in
My garage I had on my suburban. I have been in communication with wilwood about putting them on
My Powerboost limited as I tow a car to tracks around the country, frequently out west over the Rockies.
I’m all about bigger brakes on everything I drive,especially over mountains.
They were awesom on the burb.

I’ve talked to wilwood about the bracket to mount the T6XR on the f150.
They have not released a kit yet for post 20 F150s

the ABS issue may very well be the reason.
If it were a matter of just a bracket to mount the caliper, one would think it would be a matter on programming a cnc mill.

I’m just guessing, but, with the efficiency of big brakes, there may be a pressure differential between front and rear systems that trigger ABS causing issues.

it might take a separate proportioning valve.
Again, this is simply a guess.
I’m glad I read this before I tried to buy the bracket only from that company.

I guess there is a reason wilwood has not done it yet.

I might just go all in and get the big brembo GT fronts and Alcon rears.
Some Shelby owners are also having issues with Baer kits. American Power Brakes also makes a kit, I know one person running it, and they have no issues.

I hope to have more information in the next couple of weeks as I am in communication with a few Shelby owners that have had parts to fix sent to their local ford dealers.

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
Some Shelby owners are also having issues with Baer kits. American Power Brakes also makes a kit, I know one person running it, and they have no issues.

I hope to have more information in the next couple of weeks as I am in communication with a few Shelby owners that have had parts to fix sent to their local ford dealers.
Thank you for keeping us posted. I removed the tx6 kit from my 2013 to put on the 2022. I have the rear 6 piston kit as well. I'm not sure that will ever work due to the electronic emergency brake.
My truck might be here in the next month so I have time.
Sponsored