• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will we ever be able to order the $39k Lightning?

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
I think OPs speculation is right. But I think ford may produce sub 40k trucks in very low volume to keep the mouth shut of many people. Initial offering will be high price vehicles.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Yes, because they can and they will sell them like hotcakes. The only thing holding back electrification now is tooling and battery supply. Pound for pound an EV is simpler and cheaper to produce than ICE and certainly a hybrid. Saving the planet is great marketing, but not having to worry about emissions regulation and getting more of a margin per chassis sold is were it is at.

My opinion is $39k is set not to undercut ICE F150 prices. The upper trim levels with their gadgets are just icing on the cake for Fords bottom line.

Looking at the $20k Hybrid Maverick I put money a BEV version would be cheaper to produce (short of the battery) if they had the capacity in battery production to offer it. Would they sell it for $20k, no, probably $29k until competition makes them lower their profit margins.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes, because they can and they will sell them like hotcakes. The only thing holding back electrification now is tooling and battery supply. Pound for pound an EV is simpler and cheaper to produce than ICE and certainly a hybrid. Saving the planet is great marketing, but not having to worry about emissions regulation and getting more of a margin per chassis sold is were it is at.

My opinion is $39k is set not to undercut ICE F150 prices. The upper trim levels with their gadgets are just icing on the cake for Fords bottom line.

Looking at the $20k Hybrid Maverick I put money a BEV version would be cheaper to produce (short of the battery) if they had the capacity in battery production to offer it. Would they sell it for $20k, no, probably $29k until competition makes them lower their profit margins.
You are underestimating the cost of the battery. They are trying to get to $100 per kWhr delivered, which would mean a 100kWhr battery in a Maverick would be around $10k. The ICE engine and transmission in the Maverick probably cost Ford in the $1k to $2k range, so that is $8k to $9k of additional cost per unit. Your $29k number might be right, but that is no extra profit.

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I think OPs speculation is right. But I think ford may produce sub 40k trucks in very low volume to keep the mouth shut of many people. Initial offering will be high price vehicles.
You nailed it!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I guess we will find out on Thursday, those on the 1st Wave can let us know about the Pro.

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
Probably won't be many pros the first year, but when production is ramped to 150k, then we should have availability.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I optioned my Pro trim and came out $45K which is VERY reasonable - almost a bargain!

Sponsored

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
extended range battery for Mach-E is 6k option, I don’t know how much they will charge for lightening. By this graph lariat and up consists of 60+% of production

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
extended range battery for Mach-E is 6k option, I don’t know how much they will charge for lightening. By this graph lariat and up consists of 60+% of production
On the Mach-e, going from SR to ER adds ~20kWhrs of Battery. On the Lightning it adds ~33kWhrs, so if the cost scales linearly it would be ~$10k (right were Ford has it) and you get the charge station too.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the Mach-e, going from SR to ER adds ~20kWhrs of Battery. On the Lightning it adds ~33kWhrs, so if the cost scales linearly it would be ~$10k (right were Ford has it) and you get the charge station too.
I don’t know if 10K for extended range is worth it. But hoping that also includes more powerful motors. My Mach-E also came with charger.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don’t know if 10K for extended range is worth it. But hoping that also includes more powerful motors. My Mach-E also came with charger.
Not sure about the motors, but the package as a whole does (about 140 more HP). And the "charger" you got with your Mach-e is the Ford Mobile 32A "charger". That comes with every Lightning, but the ER also gets the Ford Charge Station Pro - 80A EVSE. Much faster charging and supports home power backup.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure about the motors, but the package as a whole does (about 140 more HP). And the "charger" you got with your Mach-e is the Ford Mobile 32A "charger". That comes with every Lightning, but the ER also gets the Ford Charge Station Pro - 80A EVSE. Much faster charging and supports home power backup.
I think most houses will have problem with 80A 240v circuit, hope you can dial this down to 60amp or so.
Sponsored