Will this turn out to be the "Wait Time" Record?πŸ€”

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
Here in Australia, the overwhelming majority of pickups we get are mid-size (Ranger etc). We do get some RAMs, some Silverados, and some custom-ordered SuperDutys, and Ford Australia say they're bringing in some F-150 XLTs and Lariats in mid-2023, but only one configuration of each. Want anything different in F-150 like me? Then it's special order time. So, here's the steps:

1. Order from a local dealer who can arrange it (not a normal Ford dealer usually)
  2. They will order from a licensed USA Exporter
  3. Then the exporter will order from a USA/Canada dealer
  4. Then the process is the same as for the USA/Canada
  5. Then it eventually gets onto a ship
  6. Then it eventually clears Australian Customs
  7. Then it gets to the local dealer
  8. Then it goes for right-hand-drive conversion and ADR (Australian Design Rules) Compliance
  9. Then it goes back to the dealer
  10. Then I get it, whew!
Currently taking bets on delivery day/month/year 🀣

P.S. This info mainly for other Aussies, but I thought you Nth Americans would get a chuckle out of it too.
P.P.S. If forum rules allow, I'll send a FREE (inc. shipping, Tim-Tams, Butter Menthols etc., Google them) care package anywhere worldwide to the closest delivery date guess πŸ‘ŒπŸ™‚
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming who knows when 202? F150 screw Lariat
Occupation
Professor
Well considering I’m 3.5 hours from the plant and have been waiting 15 months so far - I’ll guess 2025 πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Where do they get the parts to do a right hand conversion from? I thought it would be ordered that way from the beginning, but your post makes it sound like you get a LHD vehicle over and then convert it to RHD?

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where do they get the parts to do a right hand conversion from? I thought it would be ordered that way from the beginning, but your post makes it sound like you get a LHD vehicle over and then convert it to RHD?
You're correct, that's what has to happen as Ford (ram and Chevy As well) doesn't make them in RHD. The conversion people make a lot of things, including:
- new or modified firewall to support structures when swapped sides
- new custom steering rack (they tell me ten different rack configs depending upon trim level, options etc. and there isn't the quantity to justify having them on the shelf all the time and after test driving, I can say any vagueness f-150s have from factory isn't there anymore... it's light and tight!
- duplicated door keypad, not worth changing your driver;s door
- extra side markers and rear reflectors (ADR)
- inside, any trim piece that needs to swap sides (steering wheel and control stalks excluded) are new injection moulded colour matched plastic

A bit of an endeavour eh? πŸ™‚ And, at he end of the day, a loaded XLT screw 6.5' will only set us back $150K (over $100K US) πŸ™„

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well considering I’m 3.5 hours from the plant and have been waiting 15 months so far - I’ll guess 2025 πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I already feel your pain, this is "delayed gratification" to the MAX πŸ˜•

Sponsored

jaggah

First Name
Joban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Powerboost
Hmm my guess is April 6th 2023
Idk Why but it is lol

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
I will go with February 22, 2023 AU, but only if your order is not converted to MY23. In that happens, then March 23.

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, you guys reckon first half 2023?? Sheee, that'd be sweet 😬

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
You're correct, that's what has to happen as Ford (ram and Chevy As well) doesn't make them in RHD. The conversion people make a lot of things, including:
- new or modified firewall to support structures when swapped sides
- new custom steering rack (they tell me ten different rack configs depending upon trim level, options etc. and there isn't the quantity to justify having them on the shelf all the time and after test driving, I can say any vagueness f-150s have from factory isn't there anymore... it's light and tight!
- duplicated door keypad, not worth changing your driver;s door
- extra side markers and rear reflectors (ADR)
- inside, any trim piece that needs to swap sides (steering wheel and control stalks excluded) are new injection moulded colour matched plastic

A bit of an endeavour eh? πŸ™‚ And, at he end of the day, a loaded XLT screw 6.5' will only set us back $150K (over $100K US) πŸ™„
Wow! I grew up in Pakistan where we had RHD as the standard too but usually you just got an exemption certificate and drove a LHD car as is.
It’s pretty wild how they re-engineer so much on the car in a conversion, thanks for the insights!

KJ018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Man what a process. I will throw my hat in the ring. If you get put on this infamous chip hold(which I think you will), I'm calling March 5th, 2024. If no chip hold October 31st, 2023.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, should I feel like I've won the lottery? No, but I do 🀣 - only 5 months to get a ford order number 😬

I'll call a halt to the guesses a week after it's built and you all can revise your guesses then eh? πŸ™‚

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I don't forget as it was on another thread, from @Mtnman1: "My guess is built on 6/7/2023."

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I find out on 17 Oct that the US/CA order is wrong (wrong wheelbase and active 2.0 added when not ordered). This has apparently been corrected now, but still waiting for a VIN. In the meantime, I've bought and am enjoying a MY22 Ranger (you get them in '23) which I waited a whole 3.5 weeks for. Have also ordered a ranger Raptor so I might be having more fun before I see an Effie πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Ford F-150 Will this turn out to be the "Wait Time" Record?πŸ€” D0286B56-B325-467D-B8C4-215F670B1EB3

OP
OP
SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And I only get notified today? πŸ€” Got a VIN but no window sticker yet πŸ™„
Ford F-150 Will this turn out to be the "Wait Time" Record?πŸ€” 7ECEC5DA-168E-462A-914D-C19EC8BFDB5D
Sponsored