Sponsored

Will the bed camera stay on while driving?

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Will the bed camera stay on while driving so you can see what is going on with a loaded bed? This would be helpful with a bakflip style bed cover opened all the way to the rear glass.
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Camera views/function turn off once you reach 9PMH it seems (at least my testing). I'm hoping someone develops an inline module to trick the system to think that the truck is not moving or some software trick. Keep in mind that some other manufacturers don't restrict the camera views when in motion.

OP
OP

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Camera views/function turn off once you reach 9PMH it seems (at least my testing). I'm hoping someone develops an inline module to trick the system to think that the truck is not moving or some software trick. Keep in mind that some other manufacturers don't restrict the camera views when in motion.
Thank you!

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
Here’s what the manual says.

Bed Camera
The bed camera is mounted within the high-mount stop lamp. It displays the contents of your truck bed. The camera contains a dynamic guideline to help locate the center of your vehicle. This view can be accessed while in drive (D) or reverse (R).
Auxiliary Camera
The auxiliary camera is a variant of the rear view camera and is accessed by pressing the AUX button on the display screen when moving in reverse (R) or in drive (D). It displays a rear view image from the back of a trailer while in reverse.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I remember a video where the Ford rep said that the bed camera is useful for monitoring your load while driving. This implies it can be seen during normal speeds. I have YET to hear an actual user/driver to validate this.

For the AUX camera, there are many many gripes in the Superduty forums about how they cannot use it at normal speeds. Note that the camera tech we get in the F150 '21s comes down from the Superduty line that has had it since about 2017-18.

So at this point, here is what I have:
Bed camera: Inconclusive
AUX camera: Does not work at speed

I think if maybe @discothan can verify while on freeway for example that the bed camera cannot be *initiated* then we have a conclusion. I understand that the camera will *turn off* once reaching 9MPH but can it be started again? Probably not but maybe we can dream...

Sponsored

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Perhaps I was trying to do it incorrectly, but on my last road trip I couldn't figure out a way to turn on the bed camera while driving. I was disappointed since I wanted to use it to check on my gear and make sure nothing was coming untethered.

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
I own a lariat 501a since last week and it lets me access no camera views at above parking lot speeds. Lame. What else is a bed camera good for if not while you’re on the highway?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I know on my wife's car the camera menu is grayed out on the touchscreen while driving. But I have never tried the physical button (which I'm guessing doesn't work on hers either).

You guys are confirming that even the physical camera button will not bring up cameras while driving at speed?

Regarding the AUX camera, last I checked the superduty forums are very angry and hadn't yet figured out how to override the lockout while driving. I suspect we'll find the same gripes for the bed camera but I never searched.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I know on my wife's car the camera menu is grayed out on the touchscreen while driving. But I have never tried the physical button (which I'm guessing doesn't work on hers either).

You guys are confirming that even the physical camera button will not bring up cameras while driving at speed?

Regarding the AUX camera, last I checked the superduty forums are very angry and hadn't yet figured out how to override the lockout while driving. I suspect we'll find the same gripes for the bed camera but I never searched.
Physical button didn’t work for me.

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I'm not at all surprised that the bed camera is disabled above a certain low speed. This approach falls in-line with most navigation systems that don't allow changes or involved user-interaction while the vehicle is in motion. File it under "driver distraction"... and there's a whole lot to be distracted by with today's hi-tech dash!

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
I'm not at all surprised that the bed camera is disabled above a certain low speed. This approach falls in-line with most navigation systems that don't allow changes or involved user-interaction while the vehicle is in motion. File it under "driver distraction"... and there's a whole lot to be distracted by with today's hi-tech dash!
imagine trying to look at what's wrong with your tie down job while driving without the camera!

Katoum

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC 3500 Denali DW, 2017 Subaru Forester XT
I just drove a Silverado 1500 with trailer tow and 360 cameras and the side mirror cameras can both be working while driving forward at highway speed as well as trailer camera giving you a total view from behind with just a glance at the display, also when signal is activated side chosen goes to full display showing all blind spots and obstacles, worked great for navigating narrow city streets and curbs
I would really like to get a F150 Powerboost but it seems that no one has been able to be definitive as to camera functions with 502A package and 360 Camera while towing.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I remember a video where the Ford rep said that the bed camera is useful for monitoring your load while driving. This implies it can be seen during normal speeds. I have YET to hear an actual user/driver to validate this.

It’s possible that pre-production models had better functionality, then a corporate lawyer took one look at it and said ‘holy shit, we can’t have this!’ and then had all the useful features hamstrung. Can’t have someone wondering what their dog is chewing on in the bedcam and then plow through a crosswalk full of children at 40mph.

I will mess around with the camera settings today to see what I can find out. I remember the bed view being pretty awkward to select and when the tailgate is down, it still defaults to the rear camera when in reverse.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Ford representative at a couple of test drive events advised the cameras will only stay on under 5MPH. They are programmed to shut off at speed higher than that.
Sponsored