Sponsored

Will the 2.7 payload package reduce my towing capacity?

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Hey guys trying to spec out my special order. As mentioned in a previous thread I will
Be towing a small 17 foot boat on a regular basis. Occasionally I will be towing a trailer of 3350 lbs potential upgrading to one of 5850lbs.

So I don’t mind paying for the payload package as long as it’s useful. I don’t want to purchase if unnecessary knowing it will slightly effect my fuel economy and ride quality.

Can you guys with towing experience let me know if the payload package on the 2.7 is necessary for what I am looking to tow. According to the website all it includes is 3.73 locking rear and a 9.73 gear set and off course what comes on the tow package.

Thanks!
Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Highly recommend the 2.7 payload package if you are going to do anything other than get groceries. The 2.7 normally comes on the light duty frame along with a lower GVWR and a low payload number. On 1/2 trucks payload matters more than any thing else in the truck. Moving up to the 2.7 payload gives you a useable payload along with the 3.73 gears. Might cost you a small amount of gas mileage (probably less than 1MPG) but will make for a much more useable truck. Just looking at your example here are some places it may play in

Towing your 17 foot boat:

2 Guys in truck (400 pounds)
Ice chest. (100 pounds)
misc items (100 pounds)
Bed liner. (50 pounds)
Bed cover (100 pounds)
Tongue weight (350 pounds)

Needed Payload: 1100 pounds

Towing your 5850 pounds trailer

family of 4 in trailer (600 pounds)
misc items (100 pounds)
WDH (100 pounds)
bed liner (50 pounds)
bed cover. (100 pounds)
tongue weight (750 pounds)

Needed Payload: 1700 pound

Now just about any F150 except a Raptor can handle the first. But what if you are going camping and bringing the family that tow the boat payload need can go up to 1500 pounds fairly easily.

The second option towing a TT is a much more payload intensive option. 1700 Pounds is doable on an F-150 but most wont be there. You could remove the bed cover, lower your misc items and get down to 1500 pounds which would likely be doable with your 2.7 payload package truck.

That last couple of hundred pounds the 2.7 payload package gives you will make a big difference in the use cases of the truck.

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Highly recommend the 2.7 payload package if you are going to do anything other than get groceries. The 2.7 normally comes on the light duty frame along with a lower GVWR and a low payload number. On 1/2 trucks payload matters more than any thing else in the truck. Moving up to the 2.7 payload gives you a useable payload along with the 3.73 gears. Might cost you a small amount of gas mileage (probably less than 1MPG) but will make for a much more useable truck. Just looking at your example here are some places it may play in

Towing your 17 foot boat:

2 Guys in truck (400 pounds)
Ice chest. (100 pounds)
misc items (100 pounds)
Bed liner. (50 pounds)
Bed cover (100 pounds)
Tongue weight (350 pounds)

Needed Payload: 1100 pounds

Towing your 5850 pounds trailer

family of 4 in trailer (600 pounds)
misc items (100 pounds)
WDH (100 pounds)
bed liner (50 pounds)
bed cover. (100 pounds)
tongue weight (750 pounds)

Needed Payload: 1700 pound

Now just about any F150 except a Raptor can handle the first. But what if you are going camping and bringing the family that tow the boat payload need can go up to 1500 pounds fairly easily.

The second option towing a TT is a much more payload intensive option. 1700 Pounds is doable on an F-150 but most wont be there. You could remove the bed cover, lower your misc items and get down to 1500 pounds which would likely be doable with your 2.7 payload package truck.

That last couple of hundred pounds the 2.7 payload package gives you will make a big difference in the use cases of the truck.
Thanks for your detailed response. I spect out the same F150 with a 3.5 and the max load package the only difference is 1k, due to me having to add the payload package and the extended range fuel tank on the 2.7. In your experience would you say its worth the 1k? I assume the only negatives might be the fuel economy and the extra 1k to get the 3.5 with the max payload package.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Thanks for your detailed response. I spect out the same F150 with a 3.5 and the max load package the only difference is 1k, due to me having to add the payload package and the extended range fuel tank on the 2.7. In your experience would you say its worth the 1k? I assume the only negatives might be the fuel economy and the extra 1k to get the 3.5 with the max payload package.
Max payload or max tow? Very different options.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Max Trailer Tow Package.
Max Trailer gives you the bigger rear axle, bigger brakes, sway bar in front, bigger gas tank, and trailer break controller. It does not increase payload though as it decreases it. The 3.5 will come on a heavier from and with a larger GVWR than the 2.7. Just try and rough out and understand the payload of the truck you are ordering. What trim and what options are you ordering?

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Max Trailer gives you the bigger rear axle, bigger brakes, sway bar in front, bigger gas tank, and trailer break controller. It does not increase payload though as it decreases it. The 3.5 will come on a heavier from and with a larger GVWR than the 2.7. Just try and rough out and understand the payload of the truck you are ordering. What trim and what options are you ordering?
XLT super crew 4wd
302a
Spray bedliner
20 rims
360 cam
Sport package
Ford co pilot assist 2.0
And whichever tow or payload package suits my needs.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
XLT super crew 4wd
302a
Spray bedliner
20 rims
360 cam
Sport package
Ford co pilot assist 2.0
And whichever tow or payload package suits my needs.
get max tow, avoid the sunroof, fancy tailgate, 2k pro power and you should have a number in the 17xx if you are getting a 3.5 or 5.0.

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
get max tow, avoid the sunroof, fancy tailgate, 2k pro power and you should have a number in the 17xx if you are getting a 3.5 or 5.0.
Would I be better of with the 3.5 in that configuration with the max tow vs. the 2.7 with the payload package?

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Would I be better of with the 3.5 in that configuration with the max tow vs. the 2.7 with the payload package?
2.7 with payload package = 6,000lbs towing rating IF you get a class IV hitch option. 5,000 without. If you get trailer tow or max trailer tow it goes up.
3.5 with max tow is 13,900.