• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will next gen Lighting have a 6.5' bed?

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I was thinking about how massive the Frunk is and as pickup owners we usually buy it for the bed. I think in the future, they will redesign the truck keeping the same wheel base of the 5.5, but redesign the front to make it 1' shorter. Then the cab would be pushed up a foot. To me this makes sense. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I was thinking about how massive the Frunk is and as pickup owners we usually buy it for the bed. I think in the future, they will redesign the truck keeping the same wheel base of the 5.5, but redesign the front to make it 1' shorter. Then the cab would be pushed up a foot. To me this makes sense. What are your thoughts?
I'm sure Ford will eventually electrify the full F-150 lineup. How long that will take is another question.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I'm sure Ford will eventually electrify the full F-150 lineup. How long that will take is another question.
IMO it will be done on the next gen F150. 2035 is becoming more and more the target for full electrification by the OEMs.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I really doubt that they would make the F150 a Transit pickup truck. Even if they can get the crash test performance to match or exceed the current F150, they know consumers like having the long hood in front of them, even if during a collision it only means milliseconds of delaying the inevitable at speed.

One thing I would expect, as the electrified F150 grows in numbers; is a purpose built cab either without the transmission and prop-shaft hump or with an even bigger hump that acts as a giant pass-through for really long items. I guess it will all depend on what their focus groups want.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all if Ford quietly returned to steel construction if battery technology and range improved enough to justify the switch back.

ppeterson

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 ecoboost
I need at least a 6.5 foot bed. I'd prefer the xtra cab with 8 foot bed.
Sponsored